Careers that get you home at night?

I am looking at different jobs I could do as a helicopter pilot. I am married and I prefer to stay that way. Any ideas from seasoned pilots what jobs are best for families? We don't have any kids yet, but some day maybe....

The only ideas I have had so far:

1 CFI long term

2 Flight tours

3 News/ photography

4 Hospital Air Ambulance

Anything I missed? I am not willing to be gone for weeks at a time, and I know you don't make as much with these careers as other high risk jobs.

Thanks.

Edited by Sparker

depending on where you live.

air-mobile operations

personnel transport

cattle herding

city-center passenger transport

corporate transport

crop dusting

crop seeding

crop fertilizing

drug interdiction

environmental research

erection of bridges and poles

guarding coastal waters

life loads to and from high buildings

logging (see below, logging is a no go)

pull barges

radar tracking

radio and tv tower erection

supply lighthouses

supply remore locations on land

vip transport

ship unloading

transport santa claus

i would think most of those would keep you in the area

I see that you have logging on your list and I must disagree, If you fly logs for a living do not expect to see home very often.

I agree with original poster in that,

I already have a career, and I don't have to work all that much, cause they are long shifts at night and I am about half way happy with my career now, it pays the bills and is respectable, but I really want to get into flying helicopters part time as well. It is kindof risky for me to jump into this field and try to give up everything as well. Since a great deal of the part time jobs that keep you around the area are already listed, I could really see myself slipping into one of these jobs part time to satisfy my flying desires and then just take one day at a time to see what kind of hours and jobs get thrown my way.

I am really interested in teaching and training people to fly part time, I was almost a teacher in my earlier life, (4 years ago, and still possibly considering it) So this may fill my gap of wanting to fly and wanting to teach. The only problem I am seeing with this , is there are not very many high time instructors, nor are there many full time instructors that are making 50 grand or more a year. So financially, I would probably be much better off, persuing my career in medicine and just trying to fly for fun, but that doesn't seem practical either...

So how do you guys feel about part time instructing and how to make a buck or two on the side flying these local jobs that come up now and then and consentrating on teaching students while holding a secure, part time job. Are there any pilots that are working in two fields and not jumping into a full blown aviation career, that usually takes moving around and building as many hours as possible in the shortest amount of time. I just don't see it that way and I would love to just fly part time and keep my money making job separate>>> does this sound like it would work,. or is this helicopter flying thing all or nothing???

I agree with original poster in that,

I already have a career, and I don't have to work all that much, cause they are long shifts at night and I am about half way happy with my career now, it pays the bills and is respectable, but I really want to get into flying helicopters part time as well. It is kindof risky for me to jump into this field and try to give up everything as well. Since a great deal of the part time jobs that keep you around the area are already listed, I could really see myself slipping into one of these jobs part time to satisfy my flying desires and then just take one day at a time to see what kind of hours and jobs get thrown my way.

I am really interested in teaching and training people to fly part time, I was almost a teacher in my earlier life, (4 years ago, and still possibly considering it) So this may fill my gap of wanting to fly and wanting to teach. The only problem I am seeing with this , is there are not very many high time instructors, nor are there many full time instructors that are making 50 grand or more a year. So financially, I would probably be much better off, persuing my career in medicine and just trying to fly for fun, but that doesn't seem practical either...

So how do you guys feel about part time instructing and how to make a buck or two on the side flying these local jobs that come up now and then and consentrating on teaching students while holding a secure, part time job. Are there any pilots that are working in two fields and not jumping into a full blown aviation career, that usually takes moving around and building as many hours as possible in the shortest amount of time. I just don't see it that way and I would love to just fly part time and keep my money making job separate>>> does this sound like it would work,. or is this helicopter flying thing all or nothing???

I don't know if its true, but I heard high hour CFIs can make 50k. Anybody know for sure? Seems like it would be worth it to the school to have somebody instructing that didn't just finish school.

50k is starting pay or less elsewhere. That's why few CFIs stay in instructing. It's a vicious cycle - students want cheap instruction, and they generally get it. If students were willing to pay more, they would get much more, but that ain't gonna hapen in this lifetime. Thus we get the blind leading the blind, and LOTS of training accidents.

OK I'll jump into this one.

What about an Ag/Tour/Photo/Longline outfit?

their out there, anyone have any experience?

Can you do longline local? I don't really know what it is... I thought you had to travel more to do it.