Schools in southeast Tennessee

Anyone know of any part 141 flight schools in the Chattanooga or Knoxville area of Tennessee? Or perhaps anywhere in the southeast part of the state?

Scott

There is a school located at Mcminn County Airport in Anthens Tn. Valleyhelicopterservices.com should help you find it. Its off I-75 between knoxville and chattanooga.

Tracy

There is a school located at Mcminn County Airport in Anthens Tn. Valleyhelicopterservices.com should help you find it. Its off I-75 between knoxville and chattanooga.

Tracy

Thanks but I checked on that school already and they don't have their Part 141 status yet and thus I would be unable to use my GI bill to help pay for the training. Too bad though because my parents actually live in Athens, TN and I could save a lot of money living with the folks during my training. Ah well, maybe it's for the better; I love my parents but I can't imagine living with them for a year without losing my mind.

Scott

Thanks but I checked on that school already and they don't have their Part 141 status yet and thus I would be unable to use my GI bill to help pay for the training. Too bad though because my parents actually live in Athens, TN and I could save a lot of money living with the folks during my training. Ah well, maybe it's for the better; I love my parents but I can't imagine living with them for a year without losing my mind.

Scott

You can check with scenic up in pigeon forge. I saw them advertising flight training, but then again not sure about the 141.

Tracy

There are no 141 helicopter schools in TN period. I have done the research as I live in Nashville. The best I could come up with when I started training was to go to AirTenn in Clarksville for my private (which the VA will not cover) and then go to a school out of state, to use the GI Bill (Classic Helicopters in Seattle, so I can live with my parents :P ). There is now a guy in Nashville who has an R22 and will be starting instruction. He has talked about trying to get affiliated with a 141 school on the opposite side of his hangar so he can offer 141 instruction and accept VA benefits. To my knowledge he hasn't been able to work this out yet, but I haven't talked to him in about a month. Propwasher might be able to tell you more he has talked to the new guy since I did. The new school will be affiliated if not carried under an existing company Helistar Aviation, which also has an R44 and a 206 (which is flown for Channel 5). Otherwise your best and closest option for 141 training near TN is probably Vortex in LA.

Scott - used to be that you couldn't use the GI Bill for getting your private license. Had to be for commercial and higher. Is that still the case? You might want to reconsider Valley Helicopters if you are limited to the Tennessee area. Bryant (the owner) is a very experienced former Army helicopter pilot who helped me prepare for the oral on my ATP checkride. He has the heart of a teacher and knows his stuff. There are many advantages to using a small school. With regards to your parents, it shouldn't take but a few months to get your license if you concentrate your flying. If you only fly two hours per week it's going to cost you more for your license than if you fly 5 hours per week. One additional point to consider - you could get your private (non-GI Bill) flying the Schweizer at Valley then continue for your commercial in the R22 at a Part 141 school. You'd be a well-rounded pilot and have time in the two most popular trainers. Not sure if you're planning to get your CFI but that might help your employability. Keep us posted here on what you decide. Kevin

some pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/p_robinson/valley_helicopters

Kevin hit the nail on the head. The GI Bill will not cover any portion of your private pilots license. After you get your private the GI Bill will cover 60% of approved courses taken at part 141 schools.

I agree get your private at the school closest to you at the best rate you can get, then find a 141 school to take the rest of your training.