On the edge of "Go For It..."

Hey zemogman!

I just wanted to say I'm glad someone started a post like this and have so many reply to it. I've been a fence-sitter for awhile now as well, and I haven't been able to pull the trigger like so many others. Part of my situation is I am married with a 1 1/2 y/o son that I don't want to leave stranded at home while I'm fulfilling my dream and they are left to themselves. I know they will spend some time by themselves so it's a hard decision to make. I have been to 4 different schools, done intro flights with all of them and have found one super close to my own home that I really like. Now I just have to make the decision. Do I take the plunge and risk the chance of not liking it? Or do I sit and wonder for the rest of my life how it would have been to do something as cool as being a "Helicopter" Pilot! I have always been intrigued by Helo's, but I wonder to myself if it's really for me. You know the feeling, right? The one where you've been told, "If you don't know for sure that you want to be a Helicopter pilot 100%, this is probably not for you. You need to be absolutely 100% sure that you want to fly Helo's or you're wasting your time!" How do I take that? And why don't I have a good answer to that question in my head? It could be that little devil sitting on my shoulder telling me I'm not good enough, or it could be good assurance letting me know I'm not that interested and I would be wasting my time. Who knows. I will tell ya that I have enjoyed each flight I've been on, and the last flight I had I learned alot more than I did in all the other flights before. I have flown in an R22, an R44, and the Schweizer 300 so I have a good idea of what they feel like. The Schweizer is more of a favorite, but from what I have been reading about job possibilities, I really need to at least get my PPL in the Robinson, if I want to train in one. I guess I'll have to at least go the PPL route and see where that takes me. The financial part scares me a little as I don't want to be anymore in debt, but I know that's what it will take to get there. Another part is the fear that this is a dangerous job and I need to take it seriously because something could happen. Do I want to leave my wife and son behind to pick up the pieces? Then there's the part of all the people I've been talking to about my dreams. I say those things to myself like "If I don't follow through with this, they'll think I'm just telling them to get their attention and that I really don't mean what I say. I guess you can say, I've been beating myself up with all these "what if's", huh? Well, I just don't want to make the wrong decision and I really want to enjoy doing it to the fullest if I decide to do it.

I look up to you, Zemo. You're an inspiration to those of us still undecided. I too was in the military (6 years) but got out in 1994 so I can't use my G.I. bill either. Oh well. No worries. I've got excellent credit so I'm sure someone will be excited to take my money. LOL! Keep us informed on how you're doing. I'll be sure to let you know where I decide to go, if I make that decision any time soon. Take care and be safe up there!

Peace out!

Ace

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Ace... I hadn't checked this thread in a while...

(sorry to all others for another long post...however IMO it's relevant and important)

I hear you on the questions in your head...the only thing I can say to that is that you don't have any peace because you haven't made a decision. Make a decision today! Whether it is to "Go for It..." or "Wait a few days, weeks, months, years...whatever!" Forget "if your not 100% sure..." crap. How could anyone be 100% sure that they want to be a career pilot before they even start. You know you have a desire to pursue this thing and that desire is what will determine if you will continue at various stages of this decision.

My sister taught me something very important one night at the crux of a crucial decision I was making under the influence of a difficult situation in my family and that was...It's OK to change your mind. Without boring you with the details...it would have been the incorrect decision at the time...but it's what I thought I wanted...it was joining the military. I was deciding to join the Navy, active duty for six years where-ever they wanted me...primarily because I just wanted to get away for home.

She helped me understand, at 4am, right before going to MEPS that I should make the right decision in that moment and CHANGE MY MIND later on (weeks, months or years) down the line; if applicable. I took her advice...cancelled my enlistment (the recruiter wanted to kill me) and waited for the primary influencer on my decision to dissipate (running away from family issues).

Once I did that...soon thereafter there was peace in my mind...however the military "bug" was still there without the external influence...so I joined the Marine Corp...the rest is history.

Either way...do what's right and what's right for you. If you want to spend time wtih your family now...go for it. If you want to sacrifice some time now to pursue your dream...go for it. I have four boys and I know I am sacrificing sometime now to pursue my dream (not leaving them "stranded at home")...however pursuing that dream has brought a whole new perspective and topic for me and my family to discuss and enjoy. Also, I feel a bit more "alive" being that I'm pursuing something special to me. If I change my mind at the first milestone so be it. So far...I'm enjoying my training...(I'm in the third week). Changing your mind is not weak-minded...it's acceptable if necessary and it's OK if it's the right thing to do. Don't be flippant or irresponsible...but be honest with yourself.

There will always be "others" that think this or that...however they don't live in your shoes...

As far as "danger" or "no job in the future", etc...deal with realities and not the fear. You'll know the difference!! All you can do is be safe and be responsible and if the calculated and managed risk is worth it to you and your family...go for it. I was quite unsure when I wrote this post and I decided to pursue what I believe is the write thing for me and my family now.

I hope this helps you decide (either way) as much as others on this site helped me...

God's Best to You...

Edited by zemogman