Mauna Loa Helicopters

I am all but set to go to this school I have talked to them on the phone have studied everything on their website and have gotten their info packet. All and all I have heard nothing but good news about these guys and have even convinced my friend to go to their school with me when we get out of the Marines. But I am just looking to talk to one of their either current or recent students to double check a few things since I am living in Botswana at the moment and my ticket to look over the school in june is gonna cost me about 3000 dollars I would like to make sure there arnt any red flags before buying this airline ticket. So if you feel kind enough to answer a few questions for me please send me a message. Thank you.

Guest rookie101

Well, I might as well be the jerk. SEARCH FEATURE!!!!!!! Just enter in the name of the school and you will get 1 page of answers to this very question and others like it. HINT: to help filter your search just type in Mauna Loa.

Well, I might as well be the jerk. SEARCH FEATURE!!!!!!! Just enter in the name of the school and you will get 1 page of answers to this very question and others like it. HINT: to help filter your search just type in Mauna Loa.

What a jerk!

Although he is right... ;)

Still a jerk. :D :D :D

Just kidding B)

Do they have the been there, done that and got the lousy T-shirt shirt out yet for the search function? I'm just messin around I have a few questions to ask that were not located in the search feature. And didnt want to just start PMing random people that I thought were going to the school. Thanks for being the jerk though I understand that someone has to do it. :D

I considered this school, just remember the cost of living in hawaii is a very daunting task unless the marines are giving you a free ride or something. Milk is like $7-8 a gallon last time I was there, gas is more expensive than the rest of the nation, just about everything is expensive. But hell, if I had the money I would go there aswell.

Nope no living allowance just gonna have to work through it but my current job should transfer over well to the civilian world and I actually have anouther guy who's gonna do the same thing with me so I will have a buddy to share living expenses with. But thanks for the heads up.

Milk's $4 a gallon, gas is $3.20.

Also be aware that everything in Hawaii is subject to a 4.167% tax.

That includes all flight time, books, supplies, food, rented housing, examiner check-rides....

That's in addition to the high cost of living.

MLH also charges 0.2 hours ground time for pre/post-flight discussions on every dual flight (also subject to the tax). It adds up.

i'm also intrested in getting in touch with some mauna loa students. it looks like i'll be over there to start training around Oct time for my ppl. i'm from the uk and going to have a look at all three schools at the end of june. is there much difference in the cost of living on oahu from the other islands?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, You pays ya money and takes your chances. I shall be staring with this school in may 07 and have nothing but good reports from a student turned CFII that i have been in contact with over the past 6/7 months. Also spent alot of time talking with Ben Fouts (the top cheese) and he tells it as it is. There are alot of comments about alot of schools on VR, question the school about what ever you feel needs questioning. If the school is vauge withits answers, ask yourself can they be for real...

Hi all, You pays ya money and takes your chances. I shall be staring with this school in may 07 and have nothing but good reports from a student turned CFII that i have been in contact with over the past 6/7 months. Also spent alot of time talking with Ben Fouts (the top cheese) and he tells it as it is. There are alot of comments about alot of schools on VR, question the school about what ever you feel needs questioning. If the school is vauge withits answers, ask yourself can they be for real...

Milk was $6 a gallon and cereal was $5 a box on kauai's south shore. I just got back about a week ago, and god do I wish I was still there :D. I would say you can probably expect to spend $20-50 more a week on grocery bills than you are used too. One thing that was cheaper than it is here in NY was SPAM! :D