Enstrom Users

I operated a F28C (VH IYR) out of Sydney, OZ in 79/80, logged 200hrs, carried over 2,000 joyride passengers and truly enjoyed that little machine. Did my endorsement on the 'A' model and thought I would be killed - the A's should all be buried (probably are by now). Only heart-stopper was when the left door blew open in flight at 1,000ft, hovering for photos, over Botany Bay. I had the right door off for a photographer. He had to lean over me to grab the door for the turbulence was so great I couldnt take my hands off. All my enquiries to Enstrom, etc., about such a freak incident proved futile. I tied a safety leash to the door from that day on (my dog's leash - without dog). Dont know why the Enstrom didnt find popularity - well not downunder. Yes, the photographer flew with me again - he had a great gig, taking shots of waterfront homes, framing them and going door to door selling to the owners. Unique angle!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Only heart-stopper was when the left door blew open in flight at 1,000ft, hovering for photos, over Botany Bay. I had the right door off for a photographer. He had to lean over me to grab the door for the turbulence was so great I couldnt take my hands off. All my enquiries to Enstrom, etc., about such a freak incident proved futile. I tied a safety leash to the door from that day on (my dog's leash - without dog).

That exact thing happened to us!  I own Eagle Flight Helicopters in Denver, CO USA.  I had the door replaced, and the mechanic got the fit off by 1/2".  I also use a tether to hold the doors closed!

As for performance, for a piston helicopter, you can't beat an enstrom!  We operate at over 6,120' (pad elevation).  For speed, useful load, and raw power, nothing in the piston market can touch a 280C!

sorry j houston your 280c did get beat

by a 280fx or a 28f that extra bit of horse power

marvellous helicopter i have had 6      f28a/f28c/f28f/f280fx/480/then a brand spanking  new 480

customer comment

they were all very good ,safe,fairly inexpensive to run ,reliable [well its still a helicopter] and above all enjoyable to fly   a pilots helicopter 11 out of 10

regards steve atherton

• 4 weeks later...
How much are the enstroms going for and what is there direct operating cost marketed at?

Oh, DOC for parts and maintnance since built is $92.15 on our 1979.  Then factor in all of the other costs like insurance (commercial including instruction), fuel, and overhead, and we come up with $185.12 for ours.

Insurance is a huge cost.  We pay $15,345 for Commercial w/ Instruction from Air Sure.  

It has been a great performer, and our 2nd Enstrom.

-john houston

• 10 months later...

RDRickster,

First of all, the MR transmission is by no means a modified automotive transmission. It is a simple and robust design incorporating a ring/pinion design with a splash oil lubrication feature. It is easy to service and inspect.

It is true that you can not overhaul the MR and TR transmissons in the field, but those are the only components that must be factory overhauled. All other components can be field overhauled.

I was told that transmissions overhauls were at one time allowed to be field overhauled, but several had been done incorrectly so Enstrom discontinued that policy.

The cost of factory overhauled MR and TR transmissions is fairly resonable IMO. Robinson is much more restrictive with the overhaul of their components in the field.

• 2 months later...
This may be a crazy question, but compared to the Bell 47 G3B1, how does the Enstrom compare? I use one with our Ag spraying business. Always wondered about doing Ag with an Enstrom. With a 1,000 load, that is same as my B1. Humm. I can only guess that operating costs are more with the old Bell 47. Thanks.

The 28As are not all buried. I've got one that's lovely. It took a lot of effort to sort it out but it now flies so smoothly and is reasonably reliable. Cheap to run. cheap to insure. Not too bad on avgas. Loads more room than an R22 with about the same performance.

Pleasure use only

I love it.