enstrom 280 c 1977 informations

Hello I am new on this forum and would like informations please. I am planning on purchasing a 1977 enstrom 280c model and would like your opinion. It has been rebuilt in 1995 and now has 400 hrs tt

I have 40 hrs experience on a hugues 300 and about 50 hrs on a R44. This would be my first helicopter.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse my English writing "

Many thanks :)

Pierre

Absolutely great aircraft. Very nice to fly, autos like a dream. MX wise can be a little labor intensive. Not many life limited componets but it loves to leak oil with the turb charger. Achilles heal are the lamiflex couplings. They have a 2 year life span (even if you dont use them 2 years after the manufacture date they are garbage) but go out much quicker and cost around 2000 dollars a piece. You have to do lots of track and balance because of them.

Flying wise its a nice aircraft to fly. Big problem is RPM control. DONT get behind the rpm. You have time in the 300 but with the enstrom there is no corelator. If you get behind the rpm you MUST lower the colective to get it back. With the high inertia rotor system the the engine just cant get the RPM back up if you dont. Most enstrom accidnets involve low rotor/high mp on takoff or approach. Pilot just cant get rpm back up and the ground comes up quick. Also the turbo has a lag so it takes a second for all the power to come up. You add throttle and raise collective before the you have the MP and instant low rotor. I have seen it first hand an Enstrom getting into this and end up crashing on takeoff. Still great aircraft, about the only more manuevarable aircraft I have flown is the 500. Enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
Achilles heal are the lamiflex couplings. They have a 2 year life span (even if you dont use them 2 years after the manufacture date they are garbage) but go out much quicker and cost around 2000 dollars a piece. You have to do lots of track and balance because of them.

500pilot, your comments on the lamiflex bearings are incorrect.

The calender life on the lamiflex bearings is 5 years, not 2 years.

The time begins when the sealed bag is opened for installation, not 2 years after manufacture.

They do not "go out much quicker", they last the full 5 years and are under warranty.

They cost about $1500 each, not $2000 each.

You do not "have to do lots of track and balance because of them". Enstroms do not require the blades to be balanced, only tracked. If an Enstrom won't stay in track, it is usually due to a worn out component elsewhere in the rotor system. My Enstroms have stayed in track for the last 2 years.

The oil leaks can be eliminated by replacing the old dried out oil hoses. If they are older than 10 years, they become dried out and brittle from the heat of the turbo and start leaking.

I own 2 Enstroms, a 280C and a F-28C-2. I am a factory trained CFI and mechanic on Enstroms.

Otherwise, 500pilot's other comments are correct and well written.

Hope this helps.