Training in Enstrom

birddog

Hello,

I just started my training in an Enstrom F28, an old one, Model A.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone regarding pros and cons of training in the enstrom line. I don't really have many options as it relates to rotarwing training in my area. So far I am happy with the helicopter and the training.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments about training in the Enstrom.

Also, unlike fixed-wing training I haven't been able to find a nice set of checklists for the enstrom, does anyone have a vendor or homemade set of checklist for an enstrom F28A model?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, if you desire you can contact me privately at jjlpman@aol.com

Thanks!!

Helifrank is right if they don't have a real good checklist. get out of there. I will look through my stuff and if I can find mine I will scan them and sent them to you via email attachment.

I have flown the Enstrom and really is one of my least favorite helicopters. heavy, underpowered (older models) just not fun to fly for me.

:(

I appreciate the response. They have the flight manual checklist that they use right out of the book which stays in the helicopter, I was just looking for a more "traditional" type checklist that I use for the C-172. I ended up making my own. It is easier to use than the 3-ring binder type book/checklist.

I wouldn't know if it is "underpowered" I have no other helicopter experience. The area that I am in has no other helicopter flight schools, I believe there is a CFI with an R-22 about 50 miles away, it is my understanding that it is very old. Not sure, I'm new to the helicopter training arena.

Thanks again for the response.

I am guessing that the Enstrom you fly is much older then the R-22.  Also, R-22's have a 2200 hours or 12 year life limit, so the aircraft should have been overhauled in the last 12 years.  If overhauled at the factory, the aircraft is as good as new.  You can't tell the different between new and overhauled helicopters at the factory unles you peak at the data plate or hobbs meter.

• 4 months later...

birddog,

Contact the Enstrom factory or a dealer and they can provide you with a current checklist and flight manual for the "A" model.

I am a fixed-wing pilot with an ATP, flight instructor ratings and got my add-on ratings in helicopters about 3 years ago, starting with the R-22. With about 50 hours in Robbe's, I transitioned to Enstroms and found the biggest challenge to be 2 things: 1) Getting use to properly use the 4-way trim on the cyclic, 2) Getting use to manually correlating the throttle and collective. Newer Enstroms from 1981 to present day have excellent throttle-correlators. But I got use to manual throttle in a couple of hours.

My insurance company required a through checkout and CFI sign-off, plus 25 hours solo before carrying passengers. My CFI signed me off after about 4 to 5 hours of dual with alot of emergency procedures. I felt save after this checkout but it took a few more hours to get the finese and fine tuning down pat.

You eventually learn to lead with the trim for transitons into and out of forward flight. Then you learn to manage the throttle control with your ears and feel versus "eagle-eyeing" the the tachometer.

Flying the Enstrom has made me a much better helicopter pilot than just flying Robinsons and transition into the Hughes 300 and 500's easy, since they also use the same trim system and feel very simular. The fully articulated rotor systems of the Enstrom and Hughes/Schweizer offer "hands-off" stabilty, great autorotations, no concern about mast bumbing and have more robust airframes for crash survivablity. You can verify this by checking the NTSB webste and see how few injuries/fatalities there are whenever there is an accident in an Enstrom. The push-rods for the rotor system run up the hollow mast or main rotor shaft, which are protected from wire strikes. I know a few occurences where aircraft control was not lost and a safe landing was made.

Please don't misunderstand me, I also like the R-22/R-44, B-47 and B2B. But IMO, Enstroms have a more solid feel, especially in turbulence (less "pucker-factor") and are more fun to fly. Cross-countries are like riding in a Cadilac with it's big cabin, comfortable seating and good cruise speed/range. This all adds up to less fatigue on a long trip. That's why I bought my F-28C-2. The only other piston- powered helicopters I perfer over my Enstrom is a newer F-28F, 280FX or a new R-44 Raven II.

Best of luck!