Work for National Geographic

doanut99

Hey all!!

New member here, but longtime lurker. Im about to start my training with Helicopter Services in Houston,TX in may with my buddy TheLorax (member name). We went and took a demo flight a few weeks ago and they even let me try the controls a little, which hooked me for good.

My question is, has anyone ever worked for National Geographic? Maybe flying film crews into remote locations or on documentary filming? I hope to work my way up to one of these types of jobs. Maybe not for that specific company, but something involving wildlife for sure.

Any help or comments are very appreciated.

Thank you,

-ryan

a guy i know here in the houston area did some flying for national georgraphic here around the houston ship channel and texas city area. . .

true, makes sense

Over the years Ive done a couple charters flying NatGeo photographers. They are amonst some of the most difficult and demanding professionals Ive had to fly. Challanging yes, but they know not what we can do nor what we cant, which is typically of no consequence to them. Enjoyable, yes, just be ready for a potentially trying client.

Chip

You know Chip, for some reason that doesn't suprise me.

Thanks for the the help all. So im getting that they don't employ their own pilots, just charter out the local help. Which would make sense.

Flying photographers is the most dangerous flying I've ever done with nobody shooting at me. You have to be very careful, and very disciplined. They always want lower and slower, or something even more dangerous. You must leave the ego behind and have the guts to tell them you can't do that, and refuse anything out of the ordinary. They will request the most idiotic things, and it's up to you to say no. There are many piles of bent metal which resulted from pilots being too inexperienced to just say no.

Organizations like National Geographic don't employ pilots, they charter aircraft from Part 135 operators when they need them. Same for wildlife organizations.