Just starting ground school!

Okay, I guess I'm a fool. I fell for ssh's radio ad and signed up. There are about 40-50 students in ground school now. These are split into 2 days, Monday and Tuesday nights with an even split of students. After class we have distant classes on the pc at home with review next class.We continue this 4 months with sim time starting soon I belive.So far the instructor is very helpful and even called me to find out how I was making out on the studies online. I had not seen these complaints about ssh untill Iwas looking for their site.The first site I came across was the ssh truth! Oh snap, what the did I get myself into? Now that I have enrolled not much else to do but nose to the grindstone. My biggest worry although not the only, is that nobody will hire me if I make it through because of the school's reputation.Is that all that counts?

Hey,

Just a question about something you said. The online ground school, that is new to me. Is it SSH generated or are they using a college or someone else's programs? Yep, better keep your nose to the grindstone. Tenacious T is a SSHer and maybe can answer some questions. He is attending in Houston.

Later

Lots of people have had bad experiences with SSH, but that doesn't mean everybody will have a bad experience. I haven't heard any confirmed stories of SSHers not getting hired because of where they trained, but if it did happen I wouldn't be surprised. I have heard rumors, but until I have it confirmed I will continue to believe they are just rumors. Good luck with SSH, I hope it works out for you.

Edited by PhotoFlyer

I sure hope that where you train doesn't bear as much weight with interviewers as what kind of person you are and how well you fly.

Now that you are in the SSH ground program does that mean that you are committed to the rest of their program, or can you finish ground there and go somewhere else to fly?

My biggest worry although not the only, is that nobody will hire me if I make it through because of the school's reputation.Is that all that counts?

That may not be the greatest risk if SSH still charges 10% of the contract price per month and still receives all of your loan funds within a few months of your starting the program. SSH's program appears to take 18 to 24 months to complete if you are working while you train. If for any reason SSH goes belly up before you finish training your only recourse as an unsecured creditor will be to get in line for a piece of the assets. During that time you will not be training obviously and you will be paying loan payments.

Hey,

Just a question about something you said. The online ground school, that is new to me. Is it SSH generated or are they using a college or someone else's programs? Yep, better keep your nose to the grindstone. Tenacious T is a SSHer and maybe can answer some questions. He is attending in Houston.

Later

That may not be the greatest risk if SSH still charges 10% of the contract price per month and still receives all of your loan funds within a few months of your starting the program. SSH's program appears to take 18 to 24 months to complete if you are working while you train. If for any reason SSH goes belly up before you finish training your only recourse as an unsecured creditor will be to get in line for a piece of the assets. During that time you will not be training obviously and you will be paying loan payments.

To Fry: The way the billing goes is in three draws of 23,000 each.The first draw has been taken at the start of the ground school. The 2nd in may the third inAugust all in 07.In construction we called that type of billing front laoding, getting more up front than the services provided thus far. Mechanic: The online is ssh's.

To Fry: The way the billing goes is in three draws of 23,000 each.The first draw has been taken at the start of the ground school. The 2nd in may the third inAugust all in 07.In construction we called that type of billing front laoding, getting more up front than the services provided thus far.

Actually, those are advanced payments...which can be a problem if the student decides to withdraw and then can't get a refund for whatever reason (e.g., the school doesn't have the cash anymore...see the thread on High Sierra Helicopters on this board awhile back).

"Front loading" would be if the school "earns" some of the contract amount disproportionately to the amount of service it is providing...the amount "earned" is not refundable to the student if he withdraws. For example, if the school "earns" 10% of the contract amount monthly and the student spends the first three months in "ground school" the student will have paid about $21k ($69.9k program cost at 10% per month for 3 months) without setting foot in an aircraft. If in his fourth month (or sixth or eighth)...when he actually gets to fly...the student decides he does not want to continue and then withdraws he has paid a lot money disproportional to the service he has received.

In my state a construction contractor cannot charge more than a nominal amount in advance for "services" (he can "front load" materials costs somewhat) and the reason is to protect the consumer from contractors who might go out of business before completing the work. Same principle...but unfortunately not the same law...applies to flight schools.

This situation...a flight school going out of business while owing students...is not an uncommon one. Airline Transport Academy closed its doors on a Friday a couple of years ago after accepting advance payments from students during the previous week.

Protect yourself...once any business has your money it is expensive (think dealing with lawyers), frustrating (think dealing with lawyers) and time consuming to get it back.

quote]undefined

Actually, those are advanced payments...which can be a problem if the student decides to withdraw and then can't get a refund for whatever reason (e.g., the school doesn't have the cash anymore...see the thread on High Sierra Helicopters on this board awhile back).

providing...the amount "earned" is not refundable to the student if he withdraws. For example"Front loading" would be if the school "earns" some of the contract amount disproportionately to the amount of service it is , if the school "earns" 10% of the contract amount monthly and the student spends the first three months in "ground school" the studentwill have paid about $21k ($69.9k program cost at 10% per month for 3 months) without setting foot in an aircraft. If in his fourth month (or sixth or eighth)...when he actually gets to fly...the student decides he does not want to continue and then withdraws he has paid a lot money disproportional to the service he has received.

In my state a construction contractor cannot charge more than a nominal amount in advance for "services" (he can "front load" materials costs somewhat) and the reason is to protect the consumer from contractors who might go out of business before completing the work. Same principle...but unfortunately not the same law...applies to flight schools.

is

undefined
Fry, I truly hope I doesn't come to that.I saw that tenacious t seems to be having a fair go with them.As far as lawyers, I haven't had a use for them yet in 31 years. It is however ,very poor ethics to prey on people.I'll bet this is what other students thought too. All to do now is make sure that I'm available as much as possible. I'm tring to get a night job working 7pm to 7am to leave week days open for flight time as this seems to be the area that I have read that has been the biggest problem.To finish in 18 months that leaves 14 after g school hold 2 for misc. that's 52 weeks at 4h each week, cutting it close if all goes well.I'm not planning on dropping out not that anyone does. Thank for listening. to: Klmmarine I could bail at any time but the draws still apply as far as the time. ie. I check out next week they still keep the 23g's.I don't think just ground costs that much elsewhere,no insentive to bail costwise. Photoflyer, do you know sshers? If so did they work for ssh upon graduation? Thanks. P.S. Is the drop out rate that bad?

The way the [silver State] billing goes is in three draws of 23,000 each.The first draw has been taken at the start of the ground school. The 2nd in may the third inAugust all in 07.

I could bail at any time but the draws still apply as far as the time. ie. I check out next week they still keep the 23g's.

Y'know what a factor is? It's a bank that lends money short term to businesses. When the business makes a sale they give the debt due from the customer to the bank in exchange for immediate cash. The business then pays interest to the factor for the period between the sale to the customer and when the customer pays. It's basically a legal loan shark. Currently a business will pay an annualized rate of 9% - 10% for those short term loans because they provide immediate cash flow that the company needs to survive.

The point is, SSH's gets it's operating cash FREE from the funds advanced by the students. Whatta deal! The student borrows at 10.25% and then gives the cash to SSH who pays nothing for that money. And...here's the really sad part...the students may forfeit a good chunk, if not all, of what they have advanced (although I find it hard to believe you would lose your "23g's" if you withdraw "next week").

Why in the world would anyone agree to this kind of arrangement? This has got to be the greatest feat of salesmanship since Starbucks convinced the world that a cup of coffee should cost a buck and a half.

What Starbucks is that???

I too went to SSH seminar and did the research before I got in...I'm starting ground school at another flight school next week. Sorry you found out after...I know the "bubble bursting" feeling...but mine didn't cost me 23K upfront.

You might want to measure the costs of getting out now...just consider it and find out how soon you can get a refund and how much. (It will probably take a long time from what I've read).

If not...be the best...and don't give them any excuse to put you aside...I was recently talking to an instructor who has a friend at SSH. Hearsay and opinion has it that they are very selective in who they spend the most time with. I'm sure they put out pilots...so if you stick it through...learn all you can and can all you learn.

I hope all goes well for you...don't let anything kill your dream!

Z

Edited by zemogman

Oh god. I agree with pretty much everyone else that you should stick with it and give it everything you've got. At least until you've used up the initial $23k in services. If you can get out then and still afford to finish elsewhere, I'd go that route. Only because I've now heard so many stories on not getting money back. The loan is scary enough without wondering if you'll get anything out of it!! Frankly, I really respect that you posted here and told everyone you think you "fell for it" after reading the TRUTH. If you can do that, you can nose to the grindstone and get your money's worth from them all the way. Also, as far as getting a job, if you get that far through SSH I would think potential employers these days would be impressed at your tenacity, all driving skills being equal. Personally, I LOVE my tiny little school so I wouldn't have been at risk for choosing any SSH anyway. But TenaciousT seems to be getting along fine with them in TX. PM him...

I go to SSH and everyone I've seen make it to CFI has been hired. Once you start you need to finish or you will be paying lots of $$ for nothing. I dont have any major complaints about SSH. The way they dispurse $$ from your student loan does kinda suck. It would be better if you could control the dispursements. Good luck

I go to SSH and everyone I've seen make it to CFI has been hired. Once you start you need to finish or you will be paying lots of $$ for nothing. I dont have any major complaints about SSH. The way they dispurse $$ from your student loan does kinda suck. It would be better if you could control the dispursements. Good luck

Thank you everyone for all the replies.Those who I have talked to recently all seem to have nothing bad to say.The GM said that he had seen some sh@t at other locations and wouldn't let it happen on his watch. I went to an airshow this weekend and it just gets me fired up. B)