Ski Pod - Ski basket

Paddy

We just lost a ski stick from an open basket covered by a elastic net. I just wonder you guys what kind of procedure you have concerning transport of goods in baskets.

Attached ski poles together, attached ski poles with the skis like in the normal heliski business etc..

I just read an article about such a case where stuff flew out of the basket but I can't find it anymore. Would really appreciate any comments or even the article.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
We just lost a ski stick from an open basket covered by a elastic net. I just wonder you guys what kind of procedure you have concerning transport of goods in baskets.

Attached ski poles together, attached ski poles with the skis like in the normal heliski business etc..

I just read an article about such a case where stuff flew out of the basket but I can't find it anymore. Would really appreciate any comments or even the article.

Bummer.. I worked for a company in New Zealand that had Pods on the AS 350 and 355's the Pods were Metal mesh on the bottom and then had a solid or mesh hinged top with a latching lid with a carabiener or something through the latch.. worked great and you could fit a raft in them too..

Althought this picture has no Pods it does have a wicked sling load and a helicopter full of raft guides..

post-4846-1189751236_thumb.jpg

Or this AS350

not mesh but lidded..

post-4846-1189751858_thumb.jpg

ONE MORE....

post-4846-1189752015_thumb.jpg

Not sure of the "article" that you listed so.. I'm not really any help..

But if you want security then lid the bastards..

--LHB

Almost everyone in the U.S. heli-ski business, including the company I worked for, uses DART baskets. They're completely steel grate with an internal frame with a fairly bulletproof and easy to operate latching bar mechanism. We also used bungees attached to the inside of the basket to keep smaller loads from banging around inside. I think they're rated for about 500lbs, I can see the plaque in my mind but I cant remember the number on it. They're very sturdy also, you can walk on the top of them. The binding of skis and poles together is more of a handling issue than a basket issue, its much quicker to unload/load bundled skis and poles than fighting with 4 long metal objects that seem to be attracted to the rotor blades.

LostHeliBoy; are those baskets in the pics you posted home made??? They look heavy, and I dont know how it works in NZ but the FAA frowns on attaching shop built external load carrying devices to helicopters. Looks like great skiing though.

LostHeliBoy; are those baskets in the pics you posted home made??? They look heavy, and I dont know how it works in NZ but the FAA frowns on attaching shop built external load carrying devices to helicopters. Looks like great skiing though.

Nearly everything in NZ seems to be home made..

No really they have some great small time manifactures that make great aluminum baskets..

I was working around them as a raft guide not a ski guide in the winter and we could slide a properly rolled raft into one of them they are huge! the FAA wants to STC everything.. The CAA wants you to be safe and take Due course to protect passengers and "innocents" its a bit more lax.. 90% of the country is "G" airspace. and the operators are working on very thin margins. . and flying in some of the most beutiful country in the world.. Steep and green with glaciers and the ocean all really close.. similar to alaska.. but with more sheep and tourists.. and hobbits too.

cheers

--LHB