How old is too old?

Wetcheez

I've seen alot of discussion on this forum about experience equaling good pay. From what I can tell it will take years to get the hours that are needed for good jobs. Is it really a good idea to enter this career field later in life? How old do you think you'll be when you can't fly commercially anymore?

If you are in reasonably good health, there is no reason you should not consider it based on age alone. A second class medical is all you need to keep flying for $$

I'm hitting the big 40 in 4 days, and plan on a gradual switchover, I reckon it will take me 4-5 years to get a couple thousand hours, while keeping my current job. After that, if I fly full time until I'm 65, that is still 20 + years of living the "good life".

I agree. I'm 45-EGADS!-and I've been wanting to do this for a long time. It's just that other things got in the way...military, no aero clubs, working for a living, school (What the heck was I thinking??? long story), and a mortgage. Not to mention going into more debt.

But I'm doing it. Maybe not as fast as I'd hoped, but it's gettin' done. I reckon I'll have at least 15 years of flying ability in me, maybe more if my wife ever stops hitting me with the frying pan.:D

Like the commercial says: Just do it.

You won't regret it.

Later

The chief pilot at my school that did most of the commercial work (pipeline, powerline, longline etc) is 74 years old, and is one smart cookie when it comes to aviation. Incredible to watch when he is in the left seat of a 500 doing VR/long line work/training.

My point is that I think that getting "up" in years is not that big of a deal personally, with it comes experiance and tons of it.