280 FX - Opinions Please

• 2 months later...

The Enstrom products are a true workhorse in the piston class.  They have a high intertia rotor system, turbo chargers, high speed, and good useful load with 40 gallons of fuel on board.

In Colorado, the only pistons doing any real work or play are enstroms.  We do use a Schweizer also, but the enstrom will blow it away!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Just wondering if the Enstrom has taken the place of the Bell 47 G 3B1 for altitude work? I operate 1 (Bell) & I am just courious. I have always wondered about the enstrom. My local maint center says the enstrom is more maint prone than the Bell 47 for the rotor head. Any info?

eagle dw1,

Although I really do not know about the maintenace issues of the B-47 rotor head, I do not understand why someone told you that there is more maintenance on the Enstrom rotor head. Is that person(s) a factory trained mechanic with experience?

Even though the Enstrom rotor head is a fully articulated design with lead/lag dampers and a lamiflex bearing in each pitch grip, it does not require much routine servicing or maintenance. But it can  if a mechanic without proper factory training works on it

??? Can anyone tell me what the significant differences are between a 1982 280F and a late model or new 280FX?  Price not withstanding!!  I am considering jumping ship from a Schweizer 300c to an Enstrom.  Am I crazy?

The 280F is basically a 280C with the more powerful 225 HP, throttle correlator and the same tail fins as the 280C.

I don't think you are crazy but I am biased toward Enstroms, so I say: fly and see for yourself!   :thumb: