Bose Headset

TheLorax

I've used an aviation headset once and that was during my Demo-flight. I had the old-school standard issue green one. (dont remember what it's called). the pilot at the time had his own black bose headset.

ive been looking on ebay and there are bose headsets with batteries, and bose headsets without batteries. also, the price is around 1,000 dollars.

are these headsets worth the big bucks? obviously a headset that doesnt require batteries is more desirable. but is the quality of the sound and also the noise reduction that much of a difference?

perhaps these are just cool toys... kind of like Rayban aviator sunglasses?

EDIT!

my apologies, i just found a wealth of information in the Helmet thread. who woulda thunk it? sorry..

Edited by TheLorax

I use panel powered bose Xs in my rotorcraft and battery powered Xs in my fixed wing. Personaly I think they're the best headset available and worth every penny. Good light fit with excellent noise reduction.

Wether or not they're worth the bucks is up to each individual.

Also depends on how long of flights you make. If you're spending

a long day with a stick in your hand a good headset can reduce fatigue.

gft

I have a Bose, and I love the sound quality and noise reduction. I wish they were built a little more sturdy. For some reason the hot mike doesn't work, in the R22 that I train on, with any ENC/ANC headset but works fine in PTT. I would recommend trying the Bose (they have a 30 day return policy).

I think that a battery option would make your headset more portable, or usable in more aircraft. Aren't the panel powered versions hardwired?

There is a thread about the R22 intercom. They work great with matched headsets (both the same brand and model) as soon as you try to mix and match chances are they will not play nice with each other. PTT is a reliable plan b

That could be it, my instructor has a DC ENC/ANC and he can't get his to work either.

I have been flying with a Bose for nearly 3 years now. I won't fly with anything else. On the rare occasion when I have been forced to use a DC, I always end up stumbling out of the helicopter exhausted and with a headache after only an hour of flying. Then I swear to myself I will never, ever, ever forget my headset at home again.

Unless you plan on purchasing your own aircraft and only flying that aircraft, you should get a battery powered headset. That goes for ANY headset that needs electricity to work.

Bose + Light, Awesome acoustics, Radio clarity is incredible,doesn't clamp head like a pair of vice grips, comfortable ear cups in hot/cold, mic is very sensitive, I could go on but it's time for bed.

Bose - If the batteries die, then the headset has practically no passive noise reduction. Simple solution: keep two AA in your pocket.

I have tried Bose, Telex 50D, and Lightspeed 30-3G. I ended up buying the Telex 50D. When my students show up with their bose headsets I let them try mine so they can see how much more noise cancelation the Telex has. They are also very comfortable and have adjustable headset so it doesn't clamp to tight. Also, if you don't want to have to be digging in your pocket and trying to put new batteries in your headset while you are flying you don't have to worry about it. The 50D has over 30 dB of passive noise reduction. I aslo think the telex is more comfortable than the Bose even though it's a little heavier.

After trying the Telex and the Bose side by side numerous times, I am still very happy that I spent half the money for a better all around headset.

very interesting, quite a variety of opinions. seeing as the bose without batteries needs to be hardwired i would definitely want the more practical, versatile version with the batteries.

i still want to see and compare all of these headsets for myself.

are there any rotorcraft/aviation gear specific online webstores that anyone likes to use to buy or browse?

-TheLorax

After many years of using DC and Telex, I bought a Bose X on ebay for about $550. It took a while to find a set at that price, but I would say it's even worth the more frequently encountered $750 on ebay.

The Bose is significantly quieter. I wouldn't trade it for anything else (that is not ANC - never tried Telex's ANC headset).

I went to the heli expo the other week, and I was at one of the booths with the helmets, you know getting feel for them, the gentelman at the booth was telling me that the millatary found that the noise reducation slowly but surley causes the pilot to loose hearing? true?

I'd want to see the study before I believe that. It just sounds like marketing to get you to but a helmet.

I went to the heli expo the other week, and I was at one of the booths with the helmets, you know getting feel for them, the gentelman at the booth was telling me that the millatary found that the noise reducation slowly but surley causes the pilot to loose hearing? true?

HUH! What'd he say?

HUH! What'd he say?

Surley- "As in a big fat helicopter pilot with half chewed cigar hanging from his mouth and a dirty T shirt covered with breakfast...not quite covering his entire belly"

I think that was in Websters...

we're ribbing ya...Franky, use a spellchecker next time !

Edited by Goldy

Surley- "As in a big fat helicopter pilot with half chewed cigar hanging from his mouth and a dirty T shirt covered with breakfast...not quite covering his entire belly"

I think that was in Websters...

gft- we're ribbing ya...use a spellchecker next time !

duh-

Can't hear ya-

been wearing them boses to long--------

gft

I tried out a set of Bose friday night on a late discovery flight with Anything's Possible Aviation. I've only been in a helicopter three times so far, but for 2/3 of my flight time, I've used the standard fare DC headsets. While the DC's are adequate, the Bose headsets were absolutely great. I can honestly say that I've never predicted an instance where I'd actually get excited about headphones, but then again you never know what will happen I suppose.

I just wish they were a bit cheaper. :(

I just wish they were a bit cheaper. :(

Go to e-bay motors. Under parts click on Aviation-

Then type bose in search bar.

You can save a few bucks on used and sometimes

new Bose X headsets.

Do a little research on Bose website first.

Make sure you know what your'e buying.

gft

Any military users have experience with Bose? I found out the hard way that the military uses different connectors for our headsets than civilian aircraft. Are all civilian planes and helicopters using the same 2 plug connector?

Any military users have experience with Bose? I found out the hard way that the military uses different connectors for our headsets than civilian aircraft. Are all civilian planes and helicopters using the same 2 plug connector?

Fixed wing uses a 2 plug, the helicopters take a single. There are adapters available.

Scottie- Military aircraft often have different connectors because the impedance of the microphones is different than GA aircraft. You know the military..nothing can be the same as us civilians.

Most fixed wing uses the 2 plug connector..one for headset and the other for microphone.

Most newer helicopters use a single "stubbie" connector which is pretty short. You can get all sorts of adapters as needed, but that only changes the connection method...not the impedance...so most GA stuff might have issues with military radios. BTW- The old Bell 47 helicopter uses the FW style 2 plug connector- so you just never know.

Thanks for kicking a** in AFG .

Goldy

The military uses the same plugs, but that's where it ends. Military and civilian avionics have very different impedance, and will not work together. You'll have to replace the electronics in your military headset or helmet for it to work in a civilian helicopter. Civilian airplanes use entirely different connectors, but helicopters are the same.

Hi, franky17.

I have to apologise in advance for my english.. it's not my everyday language.. :unsure:

First time posting, here we go :rolleyes:

The thing with "causes the pilot to loose hearing..", I have to agree with the 'gentelman' on that.

I've read an article on this kinda stuff.

The earphones that electronically processes the wanted and the unwanted sounds, do not filter EVERYTHING. The earphones listen to the louder bangs and other irritating sounds that causes potential eardamage, and partly negates the sounds.

Imagine that the sounds are "positively charged".

The phones 'zeros' the sound, with sending a "negatively charged" correction signal. But heres the catch: both "negatively and positively charged" signal still goes in to your ear. The sound wave is still there, but your ear just don't pick up any sounds in the wave, because the signal is corrected, and that, is what damages your hearing..

Eventually, everything still goes in to your ear.. :blink:

True or not? You figure it out.. :mellow:

-Pikes