Landing Hesitation

I'm a low time pilot too, working on my instrument, so take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

When I was learning to put down on a cart, my instructor, Mark, taught me a technique that I have found usefull in a variety of situations. Basically I conceptualize a miniature approach from about five feet above and five feet behind my landing spot. Set up a nice smooth decent rate with just a touch of foreward cyclic/down collective pressure and ride it all the way to the ground. You'll hit a bubble of ground effect about a foot from your spot. Anticipate it and give just the slightest down collective pressure to continue the decent.

He also taught me when performing a pinnacle approach, to transition into this technique at the point where a normal approach would terminate in a hover, and when flying with aft CG (solo) to use this technique to assure the tail-boom stays off the ground.

Gotta love when an instructor gives you a little nugget like this.

Ultimately, I'd say you're being hard on yourself (a good thing). It'll all come together when you lose the gorilla grip.