Helicopter Safety Harnesses for Photo Ops

We have a Bell 206 and may be doing some photo ops with the door(s) removed. It seems like a good idea to have some type of safety harness for the photgrapher in addition to the standard seat belt & harness in case the buckle gets snagged and accidentally opened.

Any ideas?

Do people use any additional safety harness for the pilot when doing external load work with the door removed?

get a rappell harness from REI and attach it with carabiners or you can use a fall harness from Grainger. As for any additional equipment for external load, you usually don't wear your shoulder straps. you can use one peice of duct tape on the buckle for peice of mind.

get a rappell harness from REI and attach it with carabiners or you can use a fall harness from Grainger. As for any additional equipment for external load, you usually don't wear your shoulder straps. you can use one peice of duct tape on the buckle for peice of mind.

Thanks for the info. I just didn't know if there were specific setups for various ships. For external loads I might keep the shoulder harness on as we have inertial reels which seem not to limit mobility too much.

We have a Bell 206 and may be doing some photo ops with the door(s) removed. It seems like a good idea to have some type of safety harness for the photgrapher in addition to the standard seat belt & harness in case the buckle gets snagged and accidentally opened.

Any ideas?

Do people use any additional safety harness for the pilot when doing external load work with the door removed?

We do alot of doors off flying now that it is warming up over here and I just dont see the need for another harness to make the pilots even more uncomfortable. Although it is possible, it would be pretty dang hard for a pilot to somehow fall out of the cockpit. You do need to ensure you have everything else in the cockpit leased somehow. Maps, NVG cases, weapons, kneeboards, and BK burger wrappers have a mysterious way of disappearing from the cockpit with doors off.

If the guy in the back is going to be doing alot of bending or leaning outside of the aircraft then I would insist on an extra harness just in case. We call em monkey harnesses but I am sure there are a zillion names for em. I know some folks have figured out how to do it, but I have always been amazed at just how hard it is to fall out of an aircraft.