80's rock

TheLorax

Some intercom systems have AUX inputs that are used for just this purpose. Does yours?

see google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...amp;btnG=Search

and aircraftspruce

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/music.html

...not to imply you can or would change your equipment, just showing what's out there.

eta; it must not be too unsafe, if you can get equipment to do it.

-Darwin

Edited by darwin

Does anyone fly to music? I may be naiive, but this may be completely unsafe. Is it possible to hook up an mp3 player to your headset? I've always imagined myself flying to 'Welcome to the Jungle' and chopperin around.. B)

I use a safety cell. It's ok, not spectacular. I have had some difficulties with volume.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/2563

You might also look at;

http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/pilot86aadapter.htm

I put my ipod earbuds in under my helmet and turn the volume down low. Works great with no skipping.

I installed a CD player in my aircraft about 10 years ago and wired it thru the internal ICS. It was ok as long as we fly straight and level but the CD skipped alot when flying low level or on landing.

Just dont turn the music up so loud that you miss radio calls.

what about putting subwoofers in the trunk?

I'd just hook up loudspeakers, a la Apocalypse Now. Now THAT would be cool!

Most newer intercoms have an input jack for ipod, mp player, etc.

Music goes quiet when there's any radio chatter or onboard conversation. You can't sing along though- shuts off the music when you start belting out the tune yourself. Good way to embarass yourself if you have passengers onboard.

If you fly with a Garmin 496 you can get XM weather and XM

music channels. Just run the output wire to your intercom input jack.

Beginner here...sorry for my ignorance.

Is there a safety hazard involved in that you might not hear some problem the chopper is encountering or is there just a time when you are so accustomed/experienced at flying that you can "feel" a problem no matter what it is?

Also, is there a regulation regarding music players?

It's a serious question...I'm not trying to rain on the music parade. Just wondering so that I can one day join the ranks of the ipod pilots.

***Not any time soon of course*** I just started flight-training.

Is there a safety hazard involved in that you might not hear some problem the chopper is encountering or is there just a time when you are so accustomed/experienced at flying that you can "feel" a problem no matter what it is?

It's a serious question...I'm not trying to rain on the music parade. Just wondering so that I can one day join the ranks of the ipod pilots.

ZMAN- why would you want to hear a bearing whining when you could be listening to Aerosmith?? Or just to show my age...Deep Purple !

Yes, let your passengers listen to music..you keep an ear out for any early warnings...let alone radio calls of nearby birds. Try this is in the airspace over Los Angeles and you would be in a near miss in no time...

Not that I am aware of. Most of these devices will turn off the music the second any noise comes over the intercomm or radio so any cockpit warnings can be heard.

well worth it for the long fairy flights

:blink: what type of flying did you say you do? :lol:

Could there be an adverse effect if flying to...let's say...

Madonna !!! or Michael Jackson !!!

Maybe there should be a list of songs that are off-limits during flight?

i.e. "Down down down down" --- Linkin Park.

I'm just sayin'

so now that we know we can listen to music while chopperin... (under certain conditions).... how is the sound quality for aviation headsets? id imagine there is slim, to no bass whatsoever. first hand experience?

Actually, my Lightspeed is TOO good. Really good sound quality with my Ipod. I pull it out when flying commercial and jam. The ANR kills the loudmouth next to me, and the sound quality is 1000 times better than most earbuds. Look like a dweeb, and chicks don't really dig helo pilots as much as we think they do, but... In busy airspace, it's worthless, as it "dims" the music constantly whenever there is radio or ICS chatter, which is all the time. ONE OTHER THING, if your low RPM system doesn't go through the ICS (like a Robbie) then it won't dim the music. Might be a good idea to keep the volume at a respectable volume when you are solo. (or hope you notice the yaw....) If your whoop-whoop comes through your headset, then I imagine you will be OK to jam. Nothing like a long ferry flight with the Screaming Cheetah Wheelies cranked. :D