1000 - The magic number...

Other than CFI or Boatpix...(or similar entry level opportunities @ 200hrs.-300hrs.)

Has anyone ever seen or heard of anyone getting a "real" helicopter job under the magic 1000/hr number?

Disclaimer: Not that anyone starting out should count on this...

...but I'm interested in knowing others experience with this possibility. I've heard from a couple people in the industry that some organization or companies in "motivated" or "desperate" position of needing pilots have lowered their standards from the magic 1000/hrs. to hire someone. I also heard of a pilot under 500/hrs flying personal transport for an executive in an EC-120.

Can this happen? (I guess that's obvious)

Has it happened? (in your experience)

Does it happen?

How often have you heard of this?

Maybe even co-pilot?

Hoping for the best...preparing for the worst !

Just curious...

I have heard that you can get hired in the Gulf of Mexico at around 750 hours these days. I have not personally done this, but have heard that it happens now. I have also heard rumor that you can get a tour flying job at around the same time, but again, unsubstantiated.

Dave

Guest rookie101

750-800 sounds like a miniumum time requirment for an SIC position on a Twin engine medium. I haven't seen anyting but 1,000 hrs. minimum for Captain of a light single engine VFR helo from every website I've checked.

One of the human resource guys from PHI was out at my school a couple weeks ago on a recruiting trip. They put on a great presentation, very informative, and also very honest. I think the balance between "we are a great company come fly the gulf" was well balanced with the realities of the job.

They are not hiring captains with anything less than 1000 hours, but they do have some upcoming contracts that require two pilot operation even in light ships. They have some sort of agreement with the client that they can fill the SIC position with lower time (600+) Pilots. The positions were to start sometime around June, and would be somewhat limited. I believe they were talking about hiring 20 pilots or to fill these positions. The cool part was that some of those positions were for EC-135 aircraft. He did not indicate that this was going to be a regular practice, but was being done for a couple of clients.

As an older guy making a career change, I would definitely consider that type of position should it come available at the time my hours make it a possibility.

Hop

I got a job at under 500 hours helicopter time, but I was dual-rated with actual instrument experience in jets, turboprops, and helicopters... That was a requirement for hiring. The job requires work flying both jets and helicopters presently.

It depends on what your employer wants... Being in the right place at the right time also figures into things.

nbit...that's what I've heard in a few cases with friends in the industry.

right place...right time...great attitude and plenty of networking

I'm wondering in the current state of the industry...are these lower hour opportunities happening more often than before. So I hope several more posters chime-in with their experiences.

Congrats on the job...

Thanks for the input...

I know my flying is there, but I dont think I am ready at 500 hours to thrown in a chopper bymyself even if its a b206, and take people to a rig. On the other hand, I dont have 500 hours and dont know what it feels like to have the hours.... my point, do I want to be responsible for that many lives with such low time?... I will keep you posted

I know of two who got jobs once they got their commercial. I ain't at liberty so say more or give details, sorry.

Hopfully I can follow in their seats.

Later

A lot of career law enforcement pilots got there with a lot less than 1000 hours, but they were street cops/deputies first.

I guess it depends upon what you want to do to get there. There are agencies out there that train from the ground up so the person does not have to pay anything for their training. All that you have invested is your time (which you are getting paid for). These same agencies would love to see a commercially rated helicopter pilot make it through the field training program. The only problem (if you want to call it a problem) is if the agency has no opening in the aviation unit you will be working the street until they do. If you do not work well on the street your reputation can and will keep you from getting into the same aviation unit even if you are a 3000 hour ATP rotary pilot. So in the end I guess you could call it a roll of the dice, depending upon you and the agency you choose.

Jeff

Is deputy first usually a requirement??? I would guess so...especially if you're flying for the municipality and not sub-contracted.

If I had to land and get out of a Police Helicopter...I would definitely want to be an officer with a weapon.

Either way it's nice to know that opportunities exist...even if they are few and far between.

Edited by zemogman

Do police chopper pilots ever land and assist?

Generally not - because then they get involved in the Court system, and having a pilot out of the air waiting to be a witness in a court case is a waste of resources. But in desperation, I have done it.

Regarding low-time hires, I have hired pilots with only 700 hours total and 300 turbine hours, to do B206 charter work. But they were the exception - motivated pilots with heads that were much older than the shoulders they sat on. Usually we asked for 1000 plus, and i have done assessment rides on pilots with 3000+ who i rejected immediately, as they lacked motivation and CDF*.

*CDF is a term involving common sense.

I just got hired in January with 100 hours. Right off the bat i got a 206 endorsement and am flying smaller, easy jobs in the northern Canadian oilfield. The company starts you out slow and works you into harder more challenging jobs as your experience progresses.

Congrats...Heliason --- I'm sure you are the exception, but either way...good for you!

Never thought about court for police pilots assisting in ground...good point.

Thanks all...

I'm definately not the exception here, this is how 90% of canadian pilots start flying. Although some may have to spend a year working ground crew or driving a fuel truck before they get to fly.

Edited by Helijason