david clark headset question???

which is the best david clark headset for active noise cancelling for use in both helicopters and airplanes. I have looked at them all over the web and cannot figure which one is the best in terms of lightest, comfort, anc, battery life and accessability for a cessna aircraft and a robbie helicopter.

If I buy a headset, I want to be able to use it in the robbie and the cessna, i think this is possible with a splitter or a new cord that plugs into the headset. and if I am reading correctly, i think that cord is about a hundred dollars.

So which model number is the newest technology and best for both uses.

The other model I was considering was of course the bose, i am torn between spending that much money though. and I think the bose can be used in both helicopters and airplanes for the price of a new cord with the battery pack inline for 200 dollars.

so i cant figure model numbers though, cause I don't know if I should buy the helicopter headset or the airplane headset. can you swich either way from planes to helis and from helicopter headsets to airplanes...

can someone elaborate on which would be better and should I buy the helicopter specific headset or the airplane specific headset?????

I think for the whole set up for david clark it would be about 800 dollars plus tax

and I think for the bose set up, it would be about 1200 dollars plus tax. am I right???

DLO,

I used the 10-56HXL in helicopters and planes.

Due to being primarily a helo pilot that's what I bought for.

The splitter shouldn't cost even $100. You can get it from most any pilot store (or even RadioShack).

I went for noise reduction straight without hesitation.

Bose is always a consideration, but for training / instruction environement decided that I wanted something pretty sturdy.

Good advice to anyone is get your headset early in your training. $600-800 seems like a drop in the ocean then. If you don't get one then, you won't get one for about 5 years because $600-800 will seem like a fortune! You'll be using company headsets for the first 5 years of your life!

Joker

I have the 10-56HXL also. They work pretty good, though I have never tried on a set of Bose. They have a cord that goes from the battery pack to the panel that is interchangeable, so you can use the unit for fixed wing and helicopter, but you can buy an adapter/splitter for around $40 if you shop for it, so that might be a cheaper option. I personally am going to buy the second cord from D/C just because I don't want to have a splitter. I currently have the helicopter one. The cord for the airplane is around $100. My thoughts on the headset overall: It is heavy, but the passive noise reduction is fabulous. With the ENC turned on, it definately cancels lower frequencies pretty well. The higher frequencies are still there, but quieter. I have not noticed this before, but when I was just testing them outside of the helicopter, when the unit is on, I get a white noise sound that is definately audible, but that is in a quiet room. I have not noticed this while flying before. Overall, I am pretty happy with the headset, but would definately try others if I had the opportunity, but this headset works well enough for me that I can't justify spending $1000 to see if the others are much better.

Dave

thank you guys , I will look that model number up, sounds like I just need a splitter and not a whole new cord from dc when switching from helos to airplanes. well I do know how comfortable the bose headseats are but I just don't know if I want to spend that kind of money.

does anyone know the set up on the bose, how to make them universal from helos to airplanes..

and should I buy the helo specific headset or airplane specific headset, and is there any difference....

There are no differences in the helicopter or the fixed wing headsets, just the terminating end. The same would go for the Bose, if you use a splitter or adapter, you can just buy one set and then use it for both airplane and helicopter. Go to ebay and type in GA to helicopter or vice versa, and it should pull up some adapters, the cheapest I have found is around $36.

Dave

I spent time at the Bose booth at Heli-Expo and here is what I found out.

There is no difference between the GA and Helo Bose X. They have a detachable cord that uses 2 small screws that can easily allow you to switch between both. There are adapters out there as well, but of course the salesman told me that Bose does not recommend that due to impedance issue and possible problems.

I was extremely impressed with the Bose but was torn on spending the $1k for them. Bose does have a program that allows you to pay roughly $200 and then pay the remaining amount over 12 months with no interest. Due to the small initial outlay and the ability to pay over time made the difference for me to go with them.

Go to E-bay

click on E-bay Motors

Look for Parts Title and click on the Aviation sub-title

Type Bose in search box and clic-

You can find a fair deal there-

Only buy Bose X model, older ones are not as good

and check feedback on sellers-

If they don't have good feedback don't mess with them.

Use same method to search for Dave Clarks.

thanks again guys, next question, can you use a splitter on the bose headsets, i really do like the feel of the bose headsets, but now I also like the look of the denali bright yellow headsets, they are about 600 dollars and they only weigh 13 ounces, they also claim to have the active noise cancelling...

1. can you use a splitter with the bose headsets, and do they fit in most helicopters, especially training helicopters, cause the one i train in has one regular plug, and then one eight prong, circular, s-video computer looking plug.

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT OTHER HEADSET OPTIONS, OTHER THAN DC AND BOSE??????

I'm open to try other headsets...

I don't fly helicopters but I fly airplanes and even though I haven't tried any other noise cancelling headset, I can assure you that if you decide to go with Bose, you will not be dissapointed. I know it costs a lot, but in my opinion they are worth every dollar I spent on them.

Just wondering,

Has anyone with the Bose X headsets had any trouble with the 'yoke' part breaking. (The Y-shaped piece that attaches the earcup to the headband.)

I know a few pilots who have broken these, and then had trouble getting a replacement.

I wonder if there is a market for a lightweight aluminium copy replacement part (which I could get made easily and sell for bugger all).

Joker

thanks again guys, next question, can you use a splitter on the bose headsets, i really do like the feel of the bose headsets, but now I also like the look of the denali bright yellow headsets, they are about 600 dollars and they only weigh 13 ounces, they also claim to have the active noise cancelling...

1. can you use a splitter with the bose headsets, and do they fit in most helicopters, especially training helicopters, cause the one i train in has one regular plug, and then one eight prong, circular, s-video computer looking plug.

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT OTHER HEADSET OPTIONS, OTHER THAN DC AND BOSE??????

I'm open to try other headsets...

I was reading the Bose thread in the other forum, and one member highly recommended the Telex noise cancelling units. It sounds like the helicopter you train in is set up for the Bose with Bose's terminating end. They make headsets with regular ends or their own special ends. As long as you have a normal GA or Helicopter terminating end, you can use either a splitter or adapter, these are not brand specific, just a set of wires that adapt terminating ends.

An update on the D/C, I was trying a couple different things, and I noticed that for high frequencies it basically relies soley on the passive noise reduction. The only thing the D/C set quiets electronically is lower frequencies, which it does pretty well.

Dave

Just wondering,

Has anyone with the Bose X headsets had any trouble with the 'yoke' part breaking. (The Y-shaped piece that attaches the earcup to the headband.)

I know a few pilots who have broken these, and then had trouble getting a replacement.

I wonder if there is a market for a lightweight aluminium copy replacement part (which I could get made easily and sell for bugger all).

Joker

I've had a problem or two over the years with a bose headset or two.

Never had any problem getting them repaired by bose, they did it quickly and I don't think they have ever charged me for the repair.

gft

i have noticed with the bose that when you turn the noise cancelling off while in flight of just run up, the bose headset is very worthless, it is extremely loud and seems to be way louder than any other head set i have worn. I guess this means that the passive noise reduction on the bose is terrible. the set only weighs 13 ounces so i guess this is why. the bose seems extremely comfortable but i am just scarred that when the batteries run out, you better always carry two extra, not too mention, it is not the easiest thing, atleast for me , to be taking out the batteries and changing them while in flight. I have not tried a dc noise cancelling headset though. I have heard they are very comparable to the bose, but they are just heavier and not as comfortable.

Now I am interested in other options, somewhere in between the two, are there any other headsets that fit this profile..

how do you all feel about the bright yellow denali, it only weighs 13 ounces and says it has great noise cancelling????

dlo,

I use the Denali and have been really happy with it. I wear glasses, and with the thick naugahyde earcups, I find them more comfortable than the Bose when I have glasses on, IMHO. I have used the Bose almost as much, and the battery life seems as good or better with the Denali's. Also find changing the single 9vdc battery in the Denali an easier task to accomplish while flying. Just don't throw a 9vdc battery in your pocket with lose change, it can make for an embarrassing situation ;)

i have noticed with the bose that when you turn the noise cancelling off while in flight of just run up, the bose headset is very worthless, it is extremely loud and seems to be way louder than any other head set i have worn. I guess this means that the passive noise reduction on the bose is terrible. the set only weighs 13 ounces so i guess this is why. the bose seems extremely comfortable but i am just scarred that when the batteries run out, you better always carry two extra, not too mention, it is not the easiest thing, atleast for me , to be taking out the batteries and changing them while in flight. I have not tried a dc noise cancelling headset though. I have heard they are very comparable to the bose, but they are just heavier and not as comfortable.

Now I am interested in other options, somewhere in between the two, are there any other headsets that fit this profile..

how do you all feel about the bright yellow denali, it only weighs 13 ounces and says it has great noise cancelling????

I prefer, by far, an in-the-ear headset. I have both a Clarity Aloft and an Auricomm HALO, the reasons being a long story, but they both work very well. They're quieter than any ANR headset, with no need for batteries. They're far more comfortable, weighing about 1 once each. I can wear any sunglasses I like, and any cap. The cost is ~$350 for the Auricomm, and $450 for the Clarity Aloft, which has mp3/cell phone input. I won't go back to standard dome headsets again. I have 3 of those - 2 DC and one custom set that I made myself. They all work well, and are quiet, but they're heavy and hot. The lightweight headsets are far better in all respects.

I prefer, by far, an in-the-ear headset. I have both a Clarity Aloft and an Auricomm HALO, the reasons being a long story, but they both work very well. They're quieter than any ANR headset, with no need for batteries. They're far more comfortable, weighing about 1 once each. I can wear any sunglasses I like, and any cap. The cost is ~$350 for the Auricomm, and $450 for the Clarity Aloft, which has mp3/cell phone input. I won't go back to standard dome headsets again. I have 3 of those - 2 DC and one custom set that I made myself. They all work well, and are quiet, but they're heavy and hot. The lightweight headsets are far better in all respects.

Gomer,

One question for you on the "in the ear" headsets. Do you have any troubles with pressure changes as you go up and down? Are your ears able to adjust to the pressure changes without any problems?

Thanks,

Dave

DLO,

In all honesty - each person is going to prefer the headset they have. I have had a Bose X Headset for 4 years now and this is my opinion as to why I would never change.

1) For $200 then monthly thereafter this is the best deal any headset can offer.

2) Not only is the headset light, the quality is far far better than that of the David Clarks. You have half the screws to fall out, many less parts to break and I feel the workmanship is better.

3) Bose will repair any faults free of charge for the next 5 years - David Clark won't. I recently sent of mine after 4 years of wearing it as I thought there was feedback starting in the left ear. They replaced both ears with new internals, gave me new leather ear cushion, replaced the Yokes, put in new batteries, gave me a new mic sock and band and sent it back within a week - no charge. Their service is excellent, the headset is now new again - and I didn't ask them to do that other stuff..

4) No more red sweaty ear cushion marks around your ears on hot days you always get with DC's.

5) Bose are lightweight and tough. Never broken on me in the training or real world environment. Better still, you won't feel them on your head, nor does it have that incredibly heavy battery pack attached to the cord that the David Clark has - honestly, I've never come across such a bulky and awkward battery pack to try to stow as the one on the David Clarks.

6) If you notice with cheaper headsets, the cheaper they are the wider they get? This is because they are noise cancelling with thick ear cushions etc. I wouldn't bother. This is important if you fly a robbie - David clarks sit far taller on top of your head too, and if you are 6ft 4 like me may bang the top of your roof lining.

7) The best David Clark has to offer is only $200 less than Bose - and you have to pay the whole lot up front. That sucks for what you get. $200 extra dollars is soooo worth it.

9) Bose parts are cheaper than David Clarks "buy the brand name parts" I've never felt so ripped off before as having to pay that much for a thick set of Gel filled ear cushions that split within 3 months than those I bought from David Clarks.

10) Bose's 5 year guarentee means that your headset will cost you $200 per year max. How much is a new set of ears? To me it was a small investment and very worthwhile.

Before I go I gotta reply to the guy who posted about the batteries running out and how useless they are. I don't think this is true at all but in my experience with Bose this is:

The battery light on the volume control will flash orange when the batteries need changing for at least an hour, and then red way before the batteries are totally exhausted. I find I get at least 40 hours flying out of the headset, and always notice before I start flying if the batteries need changing out. In addition the Bose takes the SAME batteries (2 x AA) as my flashlight, my E6b calculator and my handheld GPS. So I am always carring "spare" batteries in those things in case of an emergency. On the flip side I have nothing on my person that takes either 1 x 9v battery or 4 x AA batteries.

This really is spin about the Bose being useless without Noise cancelling - so are most headsets with noise cancelling, because Noise cancelling headset are relying on the batteries to cancel the noise, normal headsets rely on padding, thickness and "grip" around the head to keep the noise out. That said, Ive never had the batteries run out mid flight (how long can you stay in the air???), but turned it off mid flight and certainly did not find the noise level too uncomfortable to continue flying.

If it was my money I would take the Bose every time, I've never regretted the $1000 bucks.

PS: Do not buy any headset second hand from E bay. You never know what your getting, and the 5 year warantee with a new one is great.

Good Luck

FFF

good points for sure,

i know i have been leaning towards the bose since i first tried them. i just hate to spend that kind of money, so i think i try to justify which other one i could use. if the bose x were priced the same as the david clarks, just 200 dollars less, and they sold their extra cord for 100 dollars instead of 200. there would be no other choice. I still think i am going to go with the bose...

Gomer,

Strangely enough I was talking to another pilot here, who had done some research on these. So I told him that I'd ask some questions here based on things he'd heard about Clarity Aloft.

Specifically:

1. No U-174/u Helicopter Jack option, so requires the need for an adapter? Does the company look like the sort that would consider customer input? i.e. Could this be something that they might consider with enough encouragement from the helo community?

2. Neck Bar rubs / interferes with shirt collar or seatbelt? A little uncomfortable or annoying.

3. Microphone loses position over mouth often (possibly due to 2 above)?

4. As it's been asked already, I should ask about 'pressure equalisation', but I'm sure they would have thought of that!

Lastly, one from me. 5. Passengers not believing that you are a real helicopter pilot!!!? Afterall, in most films they see DCs!

If you could basically review the Clarity Aloft for me (particularly as I am in 76s too) that'd be great. PM would be fine, but I guess everyone would be interested.

Cheers,

Joker

Edited by joker

No, I've had no problems with pressure changes, even during fairly rapid climbs and descents. The foam is porous enough to let the pressure equalize quickly enough not to be a problem for me.

Fff, I can't agree with your assessment of DC's repair service. They've repaired headsets run over by cars, and all sorts of problems caused by pilots, for free. They have a reputation second to none for customer service. In fact, when I told them I couldn't wear their regular headsets because the domes weren't deep enough, they gave me a headset for free, to get feedback on adaptations needed. For both durability and customer service, DC simply cannot be beaten, not by Bose or anyone else.

Joker, AFAIK there is no U174 option, so an adapter is necessary, but it's not rocket science to replace the two FW plugs with a U174. I don't know what you mean by 'neckbar rubbing'. The part that goes around the head stays high enough to not be a problem for me. The mike stays in position at least as well as the ones on standard headsets. I've had no problems with it. As for the pax not believing I'm a real helicopter pilot, that's not my first worry. I've had some who were interested in the headset, but most just don't care. If you're sitting in the front seat, they assume you know how to fly.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

• 4 weeks later...
DLO,

I used the 10-56HXL in helicopters and planes.

Due to being primarily a helo pilot that's what I bought for.

The splitter shouldn't cost even $100. You can get it from most any pilot store (or even RadioShack).

I went for noise reduction straight without hesitation.

Bose is always a consideration, but for training / instruction environement decided that I wanted something pretty sturdy.

Good advice to anyone is get your headset early in your training. $600-800 seems like a drop in the ocean then. If you don't get one then, you won't get one for about 5 years because $600-800 will seem like a fortune! You'll be using company headsets for the first 5 years of your life!

Joker

Joker is right. I went with the cheapo DC's and kicked myself in the you-know-what until the day I got a decent job and could afford the Bose. I will never buy anything else. Just to clarify, the DC's I had, had no noise cancelling, they just clamped to your head like a vise, and kept out any noise they could. If you have the funds to get them now, do it. Get a good pair of ANR's like Bose, because when your done with school, you won't be able to afford them. :) Good luck!