numb feet

Mountaingoat

I was flying an r22 the other day and my right foot kept going numb. I can't quite remember what it means if the pedals are making your feet numb, I know I was told at one point (I wanna guess it has something to do with pitch change links?) I even tried loosening my shoes to no avail. When I flew the next day however I had no numbness. My question is what does numbness from the pedals mean, and what could make it come and go? I'm a young guy so I don't think I have any circulation problems that I know of.

I was flying an r22 the other day and my right foot kept going numb. I can't quite remember what it means if the pedals are making your feet numb, I know I was told at one point (I wanna guess it has something to do with pitch change links?) I even tried loosening my shoes to no avail. When I flew the next day however I had no numbness. My question is what does numbness from the pedals mean, and what could make it come and go? I'm a young guy so I don't think I have any circulation problems that I know of.

Proably just a nervous reaction. Happens sometimes. It'll go away, but if it doesn't then see a doctor. I doubt it's the helicopter.

JD

It could indicate a vibration in the pedals, caused by a tail rotor imbalance. Or it could just be the way you were sitting. After enough experience, you will be able to tell the difference, but probably not now. If only one foot is being affected, it's likely the way you were sitting. I've used a front-pocket wallet for a long time, because sitting on one, even one as thin as mine, causes pain after a few minutes.

I'll echo the wallet comments made. I can drive all day long with my wallet in my pocket, but if I'm in the helicopter for more than 20 minutes with my wallet in my pocket, my foot, then leg will go numb. While it's not comfortable, I can't imagine it being medically a good idea in the long run.

I always toss my wallet and phone into my flight bag when I fly, and it goes under the seat. No reason to be on the phone, and none of the drive throughs will take my card from the helicopter..

Ill hold the wallets mister :rolleyes: ??

Jokes aside ch tail rotor is clean, I notice vibes if dirty, (my partner reckons his left foot goes numb if pedals vibe)

The No. of blades that I have seen with weeks of dirt build up are an eye opener, cleaning blades main, and tail, is real important & don't take that long + can save you a lot of $, long term

I appreciate the replies. I always keep my wallet in my right front pocket regardless of flying (left front when flying doors off), so I never sit on it. It must of been the way I was sitting, but 500E's theory sounds possible too. I would fly a bit, become good and numb then the left seat would fly while I worked feeling back into my foot then I'd take the controls again and get the numbness once more. Did this routine 3 or 4 times. The left seat didn't get any numbness but felt a possible vibration. In my 5 years of flying (on and off) and meager 250ish hours of flying I haven't experienced any numbness in my feet until then.

Edited by Mountaingoat

During 6-8 hour missions, my cheeks (the ones you sit on) would start hurting. I found the seats to be poorly supported in the lumbar and my body was tensing everywhere else to compensate. Feet going numb may be a similar stress related reaction rather than aircraft vibe problem. Depending on the position of your feet and whether or not it is natural or a position which restricts blood flow...

• 1 month later...
Seats aren't perfect - in fact they're just afterthoughts for designers. Often you get lumps and dips in them, which can cause discomfort. I fly sitting on a RelaxoBak seat, which looks uncomfortable but is really a big help.

Gomer,

I checked that site out, do you have the original one or delux or what? I need something like that, my back aches sometimes as soon as 20mins into the flight. Also do you know of any other products like this that I could look into? Thanks.

I have the original. It's light and easy to carry, and surprisingly comfortable. I've taken some ribbing over the years about my 'John Deere tractor' seat, but my butt loves it. I also use a memory foam lumbar support, some no-name thing I found on clearance in Target for $3, and I like it. Between the two of them, I can take a few hours in a broken-down 206 seat a lot better. Without them I'm in pain in about 20 minutes, like you said. I did a 3.5 hr round trip the other night, with only a fuel stop, and while it was getting to be a little uncomfortable, I wasn't in pain when I landed. I think the most important feature of the seat is the way it provides room for your tailbone, so you aren't pressing on it all the time.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

I have the original. It's light and easy to carry, and surprisingly comfortable. I've taken some ribbing over the years about my 'John Deere tractor' seat, but my butt loves it. I also use a memory foam lumbar support, some no-name thing I found on clearance in Target for $3, and I like it. Between the two of them, I can take a few hours in a broken-down 206 seat a lot better. Without them I'm in pain in about 20 minutes, like you said. I did a 3.5 hr round trip the other night, with only a fuel stop, and while it was getting to be a little uncomfortable, I wasn't in pain when I landed. I think the most important feature of the seat is the way it provides room for your tailbone, so you aren't pressing on it all the time.

Great thanks! I think I'll check one out. Appreciate you getting back so fast. Take care.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Now this refers to mostly Enstrom products, but when doing rides, I always knew when the tail-rotor pitch links needed replacement when my left foot would start to go numb. It would cause a very slight vibration, which would be transmitted down the cables to my left foot. We operated in mostly dirty enviroments, and the dirt would play havok with the pitch links. We could wear out a set in less than 300 hours. They should last 1200 hours. They would still be in spec and pass the 100 hour inspection, but the wear was noticeable when you were doing rides for hours. An yes, the T/R was balanced to specs.

• 7 months later...

The only sort of numbness I get is in my toes. I usually only get it when I'm doing lift work. Probably because I'm working the pedals more. I would really like to try some of these suggestions for the seats because my lower back is always sore when I fly for a while.