what's the cause of students dropping out/not making it?

The real question isn't "What is the success rate?", or even, "Why do people fail?" but "What does it take to make it a viable career?" Make sure you're asking the right question. You need to find out what it really takes and decide if you're willing to pay the price. The difference here is that you're very likely to get the straight answer.

Okay. What does it take to make helicopter piloting a viable career?

Just adding my $.2 to the thread.

I'd say a majority of the students that drop out have to do with the dollar amount it takes just to become a private pilot. Out of the students that I was in class with I was the only one that actually finished. And those I stayed in touch with couldn't make it because of the cost. It is WAY more expensive to get a Helipcoter rating than a fixed wing. One student I know actually changed from rotorcraft to fix wing because it was cheaper and he just wanted to fly something.. :) Wasn't looking for a job or anything he just wanted to fly.

Both of my helicopter instructors made successful careers as pilots in the civilian sector. One went to work for PHI when I was about 20 hours into my training and then came back to MN and got a job as an EMS pilot. My other instructor (Flingwing, rest in peace bro) went to work for ERA. Both landed jobs paying upwards of about 50k to start. So YES it can be done and very easily if you put your mind to it. Flingwing actually made a career change at 40 and 3 years later he was working for ERA flying an EC120.

As for me, I've been flying Helicopters now for 2 years as much as I can when I can, granted i've only got 100+ hours in 2years but I also avoided taking out loans to pay for it. I've got a great paying job (not as a pilot) which allows me to pay up front, but also makes my time building slower. I love to fly but there is no way I could leave what I currently do to become a full time pilot unless i'm willing to completely change my life style, which i'm not willing to do at this time, i'm only 35 and making a great living. My plan is to build my time working on my insturement and commercial ticket and then do as much commercial work for the local company as possible, i.e. air rides, DNR work stuff like that. I take the kids flying allot and my girlfriend took up photography so I fly her around looking for the great arial shots. I am considering becoming a CFI just to build the time, confidence and expierence and once I hit 500-1000hours i'll start considering a full time job as a Pilot, hopefully by then i'll have enough cash saved to back me up if need be. I know I want to fly and it's not a lack of motivation or determination keeping me from doing it full time, it is the $$$$ that keep me from doing it full time. I'm trying to be smart about it and not get myself into hock and have a $70k loan to pay off and only making 50k a year.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein