What do you think?

Hey Guys and Gals,

It looks like I may have the opportunity to purchase my own business, instead of pursuing a career in Helicopter Aviation. We are still in negotiations at this time. I still want to fly helicopters. Owning my business will take up much of my time, like the job I am presently at. So my question is, since all the trouble getting time of to go train a hundred miles from me and since I won't be trying to fly for a career, IF THE DEAL goes through, I was thinking of just getting my Recreational Ticket (RPR) since I would more than likely just purchase a R22 for fun? I don't need to fly more than 50 miles out from my local airport or really care to fly at night, since I am in the country and it really gets dark out here, and the R22 only has 1 extra seat anyways. Maybe later I would add other heli ratings up to possibly CFI, after I build up some hours of course. If I can pursued some of my buddies to join in, we might get into a R44, they have been talking about it for about a year now, they are stuck wing guys..

Given this situation would you just go with a Recreational Rating instead of Private for fun?

Thanks, later.

If I wasn't sure I could make more than a Comm Heli Pilot I would not buy the biz. I make close to $200k yearly for my job, parts and labor. We do over a Mil per year Net in a small town. The owners are small time and elderly, the buisness needs to have some fresh ideas and products added and alittle tweaking here and there. I can even get it for less than the price of an SSH's education, LOL... I have my father, 32 year buisness owner, and father in law who still owns his biz, to back me up. 2 years ago he turned down a cash offer of 1 Million for it. I have had several part time endeavors also... I have the same banker as the owner. I do work for the banker too, he thinks I have a huge potential at the present time, as well as my father in law and father..

I have been waiting for this business for 4 years now..

Hahahhaha,

I even thought of that route too! It is a service buisness and I would need to do a lot of OJT for the ppls so I could take off and not worry... I think my retired dad is interested in joining in on the fun..lol.

Hahahhaha,

I even thought of that route too! It is a service buisness and I would need to do a lot of OJT for the ppls so I could take off and not worry... I think my retired dad is interested in joining in on the fun..lol.

If I were you I would get your private not rec. pilot. In the end it would cost pretty much the same anyway and would be better off in the long run.

JD

I really don't know what the qualifications are for a rec vs a private, but since you said r22, that is what you are interested in and will probably be trained in. keep in mind that you will need 20 hours of dual instruction before you can even solo, and then the other requirements are probably less through the faa for a rec pilot. but I'm sure you will need to have some solo time and also prove to the examiner that you can do an auto or two...... so with that in mind, if you go for your rec pilot, and train in a r 22, you will still need to have 20 hours before you can solo and then im sure you will have to have a few hours solo time and i'm also pretty sure you will have to be able to do an auto, so when you add it all up, it will probably cost you the same, so you might as well get your private, especially if you plan on buying one.... why would you want to be limited to no passengers and the stupid 25 nm rule. you cannot go into certain airspace and cant even go 26nm away from your airport. thats not very far at all, only 20 minute flight.

so if I was you, considering those rules and regulations, I would not even consider getting a rec pilot license. I have not know anyone to have one yet. I don't know anyone, never even heard it being discussed around here. plus you might as well get the few exttra requirements out of the way, only ten hours of solo. two cc trips by yourself and two with your instructor, then three hours of night. also just a thing to consider, if you do train in the robbie, it is almost impossible to take your test at 30 hours, especially if the school you go to isn't 141 approved.... cause you cant' even solo till twenty hours. then you have to have a minimum of ten hours solo, plus you have to do cc with your instructor first, plus three hours night and then perfect autos, 180 autos, slope operations, pinnicles, all emergency proceedures, run on landings and takeoffs and all other things. so anyhow, there is alot more to know when doing your helicopter private than your airplane and there are alot more restrictions and more manuevers to study. And the private license feels like it is the bare minimum one must know to operate the r22 and possibly stay alive if anything bad happens...

I honestly felt ready to solo before 20 hours, maybe 15, but I did not feel comfortable at all doing any autos before 20, plus I knew the emergency proceedures but not like the back of my hand.... I soloed a cessna at 8 hours, which I hear is really good, I still felt shakey but I think I was kindof ready. but soloing the helicopter before twenty hours I feel is not a good idea anyway, and even when you have thirty to forty hours, most poeple probably don't feel very good about doing an auto anywhere at anytime. I

I would not cut yourself short, especially with all of the rules and regs on the robbie, you know you will want to take pax and they will really want to go with you. never know, might want to take a short jump to a nice place 50 miles away, don't limit yourself. you wont feel 100 confident when you take your private test at 50 hours, don't try to expidite it for the rec license....... Plus how are you gonna meet chicks or keep you wife happy if they cant go along with you in the left seat???

dlo22,

Those were the old rules. Here are the new rules. The only things I would forgo is the cross country for the check ride and night flight, of which I really am not wanting to do for fun anyways. I have well over 20 hrs R22 dual now, am working on straight in Auto's, and all my training has been in Class D, under Class B. And, I am well aware of S.F.A.R. 73.

§ 61.101 Recreational pilot privileges and limitations.

(a) A person who holds a recreational pilot certificate may:

(1) Carry no more than one passenger; and

(2) Not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with a passenger, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenses, or aircraft rental fees.

3) A person who holds a current and valid recreational pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft on a flight within 50 nautical miles from the departure airport, provided that person has—

(1) Received ground and flight training for takeoff, departure, arrival, and landing procedures at the departure airport;

(2) Received ground and flight training for the area, terrain, and aids to navigation that are in the vicinity of the departure airport;

(3) Been found proficient to operate the aircraft at the departure airport and the area within 50 nautical miles from that airport; and

(4) Received from an authorized instructor a logbook endorsement, which is carried in the person's possession in the aircraft, that permits flight within 50 nautical miles from the departure airport

© A person who holds a current and valid recreational pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft on a flight that exceeds 50 nautical miles from the departure airport, provided that person has—

(1) Received ground and flight training from an authorized instructor on the cross-country training requirements of subpart E of this part that apply to the aircraft rating held;

(2) Been found proficient in cross-country flying; and

(3) Received from an authorized instructor a logbook endorsement, which is carried on the person's possession in the aircraft, that certifies the person has received and been found proficient in the cross-country training requirements of subpart E of this part that apply to the aircraft rating held.

(d) A person who holds a current and valid recreational pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft in Class B, C, and D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, and to, from, through, or at an airport having an operational control tower, provided that person has—

(1) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor on the following aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation, as appropriate to the aircraft rating held:

(i) The use of radios, communications, navigation system and facilities, and radar services.

(ii) Operations at airports with an operating control tower to include three takeoffs and landings to a full stop, with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern at an airport with an operating control tower.

(iii) Applicable flight rules of part 91 of this chapter for operations in Class B, C, and D airspace and air traffic control clearances;

(2) Been found proficient in those aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation specified in paragraph (d)(1) of this section; and

(3) Received from an authorized instructor a logbook endorsement, which is carried on the person's possession or readily accessible in the aircraft, that certifies the person has received and been found proficient in those aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation specified in paragraph (d)(1) of this section.

(e) Except as provided in paragraphs (d) and (i) of this section, a recreational pilot may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft—

(1) That is certificated—

(i) For more than four occupants;

(ii) With more than one powerplant;

(iii) With a powerplant of more than 180 horsepower; or

(iv) With retractable landing gear;

I guess it would be good to go rec, then after you get more free time get the private, then work on the commercial at your leisure.

Most of all, do what YOU want to do and think what is better for yourself.

Also, might I be able to invest in your business?

Later

mechanic,

Im sorry about posting the differences. I thought those were the rules for the rec pilot. now that you have explained them. wow, they don't seem a whole lot different than ppl... heck I don't know then, Like you said, if that is your only plan, then that seems as if that is the only license you will need... if yoiu have any desires to ever fly or rent the 44 though, might be a good thing to have...

I know the differences now, so how much time and money are you really gonna save going the rec pilot route???? I think you should just review it and go with what is going to work best for you....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Guess I am still on the heli track. The buisness owner jumped the price about $30 thous on me, I guess because he thought I was gonna buy it regardless. I told him no thanks tonight.

Sorry, Witch, no investment ops yet, lol..

Hey,

Guess I am still on the heli track. The buisness owner jumped the price about $30 thous on me, I guess because he thought I was gonna buy it regardless. I told him no thanks tonight.

Sorry, Witch, no investment ops yet, lol..

That doesn't necessarily mean that negotiations are over does it? Throw your offer back at him. And if he still won't budge, you already have your "plan B" in place, right? ;)