Hispanic CFI

Hello members; I’m a North American Citizen and my first language is Spanish( has you notices) and I’m looking for some advice from anybody but specially from people who speak another language (no just English).I just got my CFI and in the next month I going to take my CFII check ride. I have been trying to get job as a CFI with 187 hrs. Helicopter (300 and robi) and 79 hr. in fix wing, with no success. I got help with my cover letter and resume by a professional that why I know is not an issue with the resume or cover letter. In my cover letter I explain why being bilingual is beneficial for the school, but I know that many people don’t like Hispanic and is a fact. I’m thinking to pull out the bilingual information from my resume and cover letter. Any feedback or information will be really appreciated. Thanks

Contact Pelican Flight Training (954) 966-9750 in Hollywood, Florida. It's the school I'm attending. The head of the helicopter flight school is named Christian.

I don't know if they need anyone but it's worth the phone call. You never know...

Mucha suerte hermano...que te vaya bien...

Mando

Edited by zemogman

• 2 weeks later...
Hello members; I’m a North American Citizen and my first language is Spanish( has you notices) and I’m looking for some advice from anybody but specially from people who speak another language (no just English).I just got my CFI and in the next month I going to take my CFII check ride. I have been trying to get job as a CFI with 187 hrs. Helicopter (300 and robi) and 79 hr. in fix wing, with no success. I got help with my cover letter and resume by a professional that why I know is not an issue with the resume or cover letter. In my cover letter I explain why being bilingual is beneficial for the school, but I know that many people don’t like Hispanic and is a fact. I’m thinking to pull out the bilingual information from my resume and cover letter. Any feedback or information will be really appreciated. Thanks

Maybe you are carrying a chip on your shoulder?

...but I know that many people don’t like Hispanic and is a fact. I’m thinking to pull out the bilingual information from my resume and cover letter...

Agreed, maybe you have a chip on your shoulder? It's a competative field and the best pilot gets the job. 187 isn't enough hours to guarantee you a job at the first place you apply. There are numerous stories on this forum about new CFIs literally applying to EVERY helicopter school in the U.S. and only getting a couple of bits. You have to set yourself apart from the other applicants and I could see where being bilingual would be a tremendous asset, especially in some regions of the U.S. I also just checked the homepage here and there were 2-3 "CFI Wanted" adds there alone--one even in Puerto Rico. Creo que los gente de Puerto Rico hablan Espanol, no?

Good luck and remember persistence is key with any endeavor you undertake (or at least want to succeed in)!

-V5

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly is a "North American Citizen"?

Your post sounds like you are trying to seperate yourself from the English speaking US. That is just an observation!

From you writing, your english may need some work and maybe prospective employers want someone that is truly Bi-Lingual. Remember that the majority of the students are English speaking. Just a thought!

Sorry; US citizen, all my life. Yes you observation is accurate. Base on you truly bi-lingual I can imagine that you don’t speak another language. That is just an observation! Just in case. Small US history: Mexican they are not US citizen, Cuban they are not US citizen and so far. But Puerto Rican, Guam and so on they are US citizen and they are not the only one. What I mean is they don’t speak English. The only thing that I want to know; if the industry is so small, I don’t want to cut my legs short sending Resume like crazy. Maybe I have a chip over my shoulders but I know how hard is to live in the US with some limitations. But I passed my written, verbal and flight portion all the way to CFI. I think that my English is not that bad. Most of the students are English speaking but a lot of CFI are unemployed; I want to know if I have any chance being a “truly bi-lingual”. For the Record if you think that Dora the explorer(cartons) speak Spanish you are completely wrong and people who speak English don’t know the difference and they called bi-lingual show. After all this Lobster and crab my point is, CFI’s that speak two languages how was the experience in the US and what advice could you gave me to achieve my goal. Thank for the thoughts and observation they are always welcome. :blink:

But Puerto Rican, Guam and so on they are US citizen and they are not the only one. What I mean is they don’t speak English.

For the Record if you think that Dora the explorer(cartons) speak Spanish you are completely wrong and people who speak English don’t know the difference and they called bi-lingual show. After all this Lobster and crab my point is, CFI’s that speak two languages how was the experience in the US and what advice could you gave me to achieve my goal. Thank for the thoughts and observation they are always welcome. :blink:

First off, You mention "North American Citizen". If you are a US citizen then say it! Second, I do not know who the hell Dora the explorer is! (Sorry, maybe I need to get out more) Third, leave the lobsters and crabs out of this, they never hurt anybody. Except the time one bit me in the finger. Fourth, my point is that if you don't speak clear and concise english while instructing in the US then that could be a problem. Many employers may see this and decide not to hire you. That is a safety of flight issue, period! If the student does not understand something you say, especially during flight then that can be severe! Flight training is all about communication.

This is not a dig against your ethnicity, just an observation in regards to the language barrier during flight operations.