Bell JETranger vs Robinson Raven

franky17

Well, hopefully I dont start WWIII with this but I want to know who picks who and why. I know we got into it a few days ago on another topic....

Also I did this beacuse I know there is people on here who will run the numbers and give us a real idea of what is what.

I am a robbie guy so I am going to be biast towards em, ... lets here it :D

Edited by franky17

Well, hopefully I dont start WWIII with this but I want to know who picks who and why. I know we got into it a few days ago on another topic....

Also I did this beacuse I know there is people on here who will run the numbers and give us a real idea of what is what.

I'm a Robbie guy too...but I don't think you can come close to comparing a Bell LongRanger to an R44. They are such different aircraft. The Jetranger would be a closer comparison...and, depending on the job at hand you will get 3 different answers.

I do like paying $300 an hour for a R44 instead of $600 an hour for a 206B3 though. I don't know what a LongRanger would cost..maybe 800 ?? Remember the LongRanger (206L4) is a SEVEN seat helicopter.

Edited by Goldy

On the surface...I'm with Goldy...seems like comparing Apples & Oranges.

What's the application? What will it be used for? Which one is better for what????

Is it just a matter of which one do I like and why?

I wouldn't want to pay for training in the JetRanger but I sure would love to fly one...

Sorry...just wonderin' what you are asking...

Edited by zemogman

If you compare cost then they don't compare. A new 44 is what $3-350,000. A new 206 is what $800,000-million. Everyone always compares a new R44 with a 20 year old jetranger, but they are really apple and oranges. You can buy 2 new R44's for the price of 1 new 206 and probably run both R44's for the same costs as 1 jetranger.

Marc

Edited by Marc D

there are jetrangers for sale for less than 400k so it can be done for half of the 800k you mentioned.

http://www.controller.com/listings/forsale...921B2CFBC8C17CC

Read my post again. I said NEW Jet rangers not USED. There are no NEW Jetrangers for less than $400,000. The first 2007 Jetranger 206BIII on your link shows $1,375,000. Even more than I said. A new R44 is still less than $400,000. Apples and oranges.

Marc D.

Edited by Marc D

I dont have much time in the 44 but I do have time in the 22 but I must say the 206 wins hands down. Much larger, more comforatble, more forgiving, auots like a dream and can actually hold luggage. I've flown the Jetranger and landed above 10000 ft with 2 pax and gotten out of there without any problem (into/out of confined spaces, just takes a little control touch). Can the 44 do that? Extremely reliable a/c with only minor maintenance issues. Also does the R44 need the 2000hour overhaul like a 22? A friend of mine used to work as a Robinson test pilot at the factory (He did have several engine failures there as well)and he tells me what pieces of junk they are. He's not one to BS me so I do believe him. I wonder how many of the pilots here that sing all the praises of a 44 and 22 have actually flown turbines?

While I believe the 22 and 44 are great a/c for the average Joe pilot that just wants to fly for personal use I dont think they do nearly what a 206 can do in the utility field. Yes I know a 206 is more expensive but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for". Maybe the 44 is a Hundai and the 206 a Honda, both pretty reliable just one is nicer. I think the 44 is a decent enough trainer and thats what it should be used for, or maybe as a personal aircraft but the 206 is feel like a helicopter when you fly one.

Edited by 500pilot

Both aircraft have their fine points-

There are some task that the 44 is not suitable to perform.

Likewise for the 206, but I can't imagine what that might be.

Probably also depends if you're using the aircraft for commercial flight

ops or private flight.

Budget could be a deciding factor for some-

If I could afford 1.8 mil for a new 206 plus cost of jet fuel and maintenence then I'd be flying a 206.

However I'm a private pilot and I fly a 2006 R44 Raven I. Cost was 335K new, cruise speed is 115 to 120 kts (vne is 130), burns 15 gallons of 100 low lead per hour, maintenence is affordable and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I might even trade up soon for an airconditioned Raven II.

A friend of mine used to work as a Robinson test pilot at the factory (He did have several engine failures there as well)and he tells me what pieces of junk they are. He's not one to BS me so I do believe him.

- Well sure he has had engine failures when the word TEST is in his job title.

- Zemogman I am trying to get a comparison. I am just asking the versatility of the aircraft, all around performance, not just one category

Edited by franky17

- Well sure he has had engine failures when the word TEST is in his job title.

- Zemogman I am trying to get a comparison. I am just asking the versatility of the aircraft, all around performance, not just one category

Actually his failures occured when he would fly them after they came back from overhaul or after they got built from the assembly line and he was putting the initial hours on them. One failure was from a overhauled engine that decided to throw a rod I believe. I know two of them had to do with the fule injection. I know Robinson loves to talk about the saftey and reliability of pistons but the I just like the idea of fewer moving parts to go wrong with the turbine compared to the constant explosions with a piston.

However I still would have no problem hopping in a piston again just dont want to fly the 22 or 44. I've flown 300's, Hiller, Bell 47 and Enstrom and loved them. I have flown both the 22 and 44 and while I cant really talk about the 44 since I have so little time in them I really never liked the 22.