Entrance Fees ???

zemogman

Financial status of Pilots...  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes how you became a pilot ?

• Military - Uncle Sam trained me!!
    • Training $ - No Loan - Financed myself
    • Borrowed $ - It's Paid Off
    • Borrowed $ - I'm Still Paying
    • Borrowed $ - Wish I could pay!!
    • Other - Please explain if possible !!

Cattle call. Doubtful. How would you pre screen to know who has the minimum qualifications? You would be right back to a minimum hours standard.

In marketing it's called, " Competitive Differential Advantage " Meaning what makes you different from your competitors. I think this is the nut of the thread and has been well substantiated. You have to figure out what you can do better than the next guy.. and sell this!

• Like 1

Cattle call. Doubtful. How would you pre screen to know who has the minimum qualifications? You would be right back to a minimum hours standard.

In marketing it's called, " Competitive Differential Advantage " Meaning what makes you different from your competitors. I think this is the nut of the thread and has been well substantiated. You have to figure out what you can do better than the next guy.. and sell this!

With the 135 operators you cannot eliminate the hour requirement all together (since its the Regs that require 500TT, 100cc, 25night cc), but the "cattle call" style that Fedex used would at least give more low-timers a chance to prove themselves worthy!

If a 500hr pilot knows his stuff and a 1000hr CFII does not, what is that additional 500hrs really going to get you?

:huh:

Edited by r22butters

If a 500hr pilot knows his stuff and a 1000hr CFII does not, what is that additional 500hrs really going to get you?

The 500 hour pilot who knows his stuff is most likely employed….. Right?

Maybe do what government public safety organizations do….. Application process meeting the minimum education requirement (Ooops darn, yet another requirement) with a background investigation, physical agility test, medical exam, written exam, oral board interview, Chiefs interview, polygraph, and a psych eval over a 3 month period… Or not…. Maybe somewhere in-between like, by simply meeting the minimum hour requirement set as a minimum standard….. Keeps it simple and either way, employers eventually do find their man or woman who is competent enough to do the job…..

Ok R22. Another way. Let's take the hours off the table for a moment.

Say you have 5000 hrs and heard someone is retiring at your dream jobsite and they say they are only promoting from within. What will be your strategy? Give up or be creative?

Ever been single and a hot thing is at the bar alone..... give the nod to the old dude next to you saying you've been sitting here longer than me or go for it ???!! ;)

Just out of curiosity, do you know about that tour job which only requires 300TT and no CFI?

I have about 400hrs more than they want, so I sent a resume. About a week later, no response, "no phone calls", so I sent a follow-up e-mail. One week later, no response. Saw the ad today on JSfirm (didn't know if was recycled or new (it had today's date)) so I sent another resume (with some changes),...don't expect a response!

Oddly enough, about the same time, I sent a resume to a company who's minimums I am short by about 400hrs. I got a response a few days later!

I guess I was wrong,...it does take more than just flight hours to get an interview.

:(

Not sure, but it may be the same job one of my friends got an interview for at heli-expo? Maybe the whole face to face thing everybody has preached since I've been on here is true?

Not sure, but it may be the same job one of my friends got an interview for at heli-expo?...

I doubt it,...

If they were interviewing people at Heliexpo why would they then post job ads later?

Deliver every resume face to face, Hmmm,...I guess its time to take out another loan!

<_<

You have your CDL right? Go and get your Hazmat endorsement, then go get on as a fuel truck driver with one of these utility companies. Now would be a great time as the spring/summer season comes up, and business starts to really pick up with the utility operators (especially the ones with fire contracts.) 9 months later you'll be in the cockpit (maybe not as a full time pilot), granted you put forth a good attitude, good worth ethic, get along with the employees (ESPECIALLY the pilots) and have at least half a decent ability to fly a helicopter (which most everybody does.)

You're making this way harder on yourself than it has to be, Butters. You're applying for jobs with just a commercial certificate, no real flight time other than burning holes in the sky, and have no references or connections with anyone in the industry.... See where I'm going with this?

• Like 2

I have helped 4 newbies (friends of mine) get jobs in the last year. My friend helped me get a new job 6 months ago. I know guys that have helped other newbies get jobs.....I can keep going!

Edited by Trans Lift

I have helped 4 newbies (friends of mine) get jobs in the last year. My friend helped me get a new job 6 months ago. I know guys that have helped other newbies get jobs.....I can keep going!

Well, keep going. What do you have ? I for one am an enquiring mind !

You have your CDL right? Go and get your Hazmat endorsement, then go get on as a fuel truck driver with one of these utility companies. Now would be a great time as the spring/summer season comes up, and business starts to really pick up with the utility operators (especially the ones with fire contracts.) 9 months later you'll be in the cockpit (maybe not as a full time pilot), granted you put forth a good attitude, good worth ethic, get along with the employees (ESPECIALLY the pilots) and have at least half a decent ability to fly a helicopter (which most everybody does.)

You're making this way harder on yourself than it has to be, Butters. You're applying for jobs with just a commercial certificate, no real flight time other than burning holes in the sky, and have no references or connections with anyone in the industry.... See where I'm going with this?

Thanks for the advice. I already have a Hazmat endorsement, plus Tanker and Doubles.

:)

I doubt it,...

If they were interviewing people at Heliexpo why would they then post job ads later?

She wasn't interviewed at heli-expo, she just made the contact there while networking. She does have to make the trip across the country for the interview. I never said my friend was hired on the spot at the expo.

Well, keep going. What do you have ? I for one am an enquiring mind !

Basically, what I was getting at is that it is all in who you know and networking! Knowing the right people and having friends out there will get you a job. Butters makes it seem like an impossible task but it is not!

Thanks for the advice. I already have a Hazmat endorsement, plus Tanker and Doubles.

:)

Than why the hell aren't you working with an ag/utility company if you want to get your foot in the door?

• Like 1

Basically, what I was getting at is that it is all in who you know and networking! Knowing the right people and having friends out there will get you a job. Butters makes it seem like an impossible task but it is not!

Than why the hell aren't you working with an ag/utility company if you want to get your foot in the door?

Being a spray pilot just isn't for me.

As for the impossibilities of networking. I guess it only seems impossible to someone as antisocial as myself.

A lot of jobs in this industry are not for everyone, but those jobs seem to be the stepping stone to get the one you want. Time and patients and doing the stepping stone thing, plus networking, meeting people already in this industry doing exactly what you want to do is only beneficial to helping you get to where you want to be.

Steve

Have you tried it? If you are that antisocial you may not make a good tour pilot, most of that involves chatting with customers. At least in the spray ship it is just you and your thoughts!

• Like 1

When I was young, I wanted to be a bicycle mechanic and twist wrenches for Lance Armstrong. My problem was, I just wanted to tighten spokes. To make matters worse, I limited myself to only tightening 10 spokes. I sent Lance hundreds of resumes but he never replied. So I let that dream slip by. Now, I’m active on a bicycle mechanic forum letting people know it’s difficult to break into the business……… I feel your pain....