Celebrity Pilots

Gerhardt

I was reading the red board this morning and learned that David Lee Roth picked up his helicopter PPL a few months ago. Makes you wonder what other celebrities fly helicopters. (Harrison Ford and Gomer Pylot are the only other two that I know of). Also makes you wonder if they lurk here, unable to post for the obvious reason. Or maybe they do post under the moniker of fry or November67.

I was reading the red board this morning and learned that David Lee Roth picked up his helicopter PPL a few months ago. Makes you wonder what other celebrities fly helicopters. (Harrison Ford and Gomer Pylot are the only other two that I know of). Also makes you wonder if they lurk here, unable to post for the obvious reason. Or maybe they do post under the moniker of fry or November67.

Clint Eastwood has been a helo pilot for yrs.

This link is from a profile on 60 Minutes, and it has a video of Eastwood taking up S. Croft from 60 Minutes in his Helo. Click on video titled, "Flying High". (And his last letters in his aircraft ID is 'Charlie Echo' - i.e., CE. i.e., Clint Eastwood)...

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/10/clint_eastwood

Edited by klas

Also makes you wonder if they lurk here, unable to post for the obvious reason. Or maybe they do post under the moniker of fry or November67.

If I had their kind of money, I'd have bought the helicopter for training, not trying to figure out how to scrounge up the funds without taking out a loan :D

Makes you wonder what other celebrities fly helicopters. (Harrison Ford and Gomer Pylot are the only other two that I know of).

Anthony Robbins --- the positive thinking guy --- was a helo pilot...Don't know if he's still an active pilot.

What manner of celebrity is Gomer Pylot? (Forgive the ignorance...not sure if your comment was meant toungue 'n' cheek)

BTW...did some searching...it's difficult to find famous helicopter pilots

Of course there's always Carrie Ann Moss (The Matrix) --- ;)

carrie_ann_moss_matrix.bmp

Edited by zemogman

Ernest ( Ernie) Borgnine (Airwolf, McHales Navy, Ice Station Zebra and 1000 others!) fame stopped into my Robinson safety course with Frank a few months back. I've heard he has been a pilot for years...BTW, he looks like he is 60.....when in fact he just turned 90..yes you read that right! Here's a guy that comes booming into the room so full of energy you can feel it a mile away !! must be the pasta !

IF you include fixed wing pilots your list grows...I know Angelina keeps a plane in LA ( for privacy I won't say where)...of course John T is probably the most famous on the list....and there are many others..

Edited by Goldy

that clint eastwood find was great, really liked that. like someone else said, ford has a helo license and a fixed wing license. i also recall hearing some tale about ford using his helo to save a stranded hiker, or something to that effect.

i also recall hearing some tale about ford using his helo to save a stranded hiker, or something to that effect.

Interesting Han Solo facts:

• Owns a Bell 407
  • Has been a part of the Jackson Hole, WY Civil Air Patrol
  • Has used his helicopter in at least two mountain rescues
  • Had a hard-landing in '99 while practicing autos with power recovery--didn't recover quickly enough, skid caught a log and ended up with a vertical rotor disk.

z

I don't know if I would choose Santa Monica. Too many noise issues. Burbank, Van Nuys etc might be a better choice. I do not know where she keeps her plane but just a thought.

Don't forget the good ol' NASCAR boys in North Carolina, Rusty Wallace is dual rated, others have their fixed wing ratings.

Clark B)

Lorenzo Lamas is dual rated, saw him at Group 3 at VNY after a lesson! We watched military planes take off on a Monday after the VNY airshow on Sunday, he was a little rusty on ID'n the planes!

Kris Kristopherson was a Gomer, infact he landed his helicopter at Johnny Cash's house(the one that burned down recently-one of the Bee Gee's owned it), to deliver a demo tape to Cash!

The guy that's married to Ashely Judd(Italian race car driver)....he's got a black AS350 B-3 he flies to races.

Anthony Robbins(already mentioned), but how can a guy be 6'6" and fit in a MD500??

That's all I think of now!

R91

Rob- I don't think Lorenzo has had his ticket very long, I remember seeing him taking lessons about 2 years ago.....good list though!!!

Course- you could ask how could a guy be 6-5 and fit in a Robbie ???? !!!

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

I read somewhere that Franchitti bought that A-star but the insurance bigwigs for his F1 team wouldnt let him fly it...apparently its safer to drive a car at 230mph than it is to fly a helicopter at 130mph. go figure.

I also seem to remember some nascar guy being killed when he balled up his md500 several years ago...anyone know what I'm talking about?

In the latest edition of chickenhawk, robert mason tells about going for a ride with Han in his 407...I knew I shouldda spent that training loan on acting classes.

I also seem to remember some nascar guy being killed when he balled up his md500 several years ago...anyone know what I'm talking about?
July 12,1993: NASCAR driver Davey Allison (32) was tragically injured in a crash while trying to land his Hughes 369HS helicopter at Talladega Super Speedway, Alabama, and died the next day. The official cause of the crash was the pilot's poor decision to land downwind in a confined area, surrounded by high obstructions, and his failure to properly compensate for the tailwind condition, coupled with the pilot's lack of experience in the airframe. In 1987, Davey Allison became the first NASCAR Winston Cup Series rookie to ever qualify on the front row for a Daytona 500.
Found it on a webpage of Celebrity crashes. I know there is a pro-golfer or two that fly their own helicopters, I just can't remember which ones, mostly because I'm not a huge golf fan.

From the celebrity pilot link someone else posted, some names I hadn't seen mentioned, yet:

David Lee Roth

Neil Armstrong

Patty Wagstaff

From the celebrity pilot link someone else posted, some names I hadn't seen mentioned, yet:

David Lee Roth

Neil Armstrong

Patty Wagstaff

Patty- wow theres a looker...and I hear a pretty fair pilot too !!