Low Flying In Kentucky.......

Hi,

I'm looking for some info(as strange as this info may seem lol).

Today in Hancock County Kentucky between the time of 1:20 and 1:40 p.m(central time) I saw what looked like a OH-6 helicopter that was red and white and flying extremally low! As in almost below tree level and was just wondering if anyone here could tell me what the purpose of that flight was.

The helicopter wasn't flying all that fast but I was pretty surprised to see a chopper flying that low with all the trees that can hide all the telephone wires that are in this area.

Edited by wild_blue

not 100% as to the answer to your question, but a possibility I can think of is Ft. Campbell is not too far away from there and I think that the training helo's are painted a different color. Like I said not too sure on the paint thing. Just heard that during my tis.

The current military OH-6 helicopters (AH-6 and MH-6) are painted black. Red and white is probably a general aviation or possibly a public use aircraft. As for what the purpose could be, you'd have to find out who the pilot was and ask him the intended purpose of the flight.

I was curious, so I looked and could only find two 520N helicopters registered to two police departments in KY, and neither of them are near your location. However, Hancock County is on the state border, it is highly possible that the aircraft was from the neighboring state. It could also be one of the number of the Revolution Mini-500s registered in KY...poor souls. Although, none of the Mini-500s are from that area either, and I don't know if they would be brave enough to fly it for distance.

Either way, if you didn't catch the N-number, you probably won't be able to find an answer to your question without finding that aircraft again.

• 1 month later...

Ok,its been awhile since I last posted in this thread but I've been seeing that helicopter flying around again and although I never maneged to catch the N-number I did notice something.

On the front of the chopper there was some kind of round bar attached to the front of the skids(attached to the end of both of the front skids).

I never noticed this before because it was flying so low.

Ok,its been awhile since I last posted in this thread but I've been seeing that helicopter flying around again and although I never maneged to catch the N-number I did notice something.

On the front of the chopper there was some kind of round bar attached to the front of the skids(attached to the end of both of the front skids).

I never noticed this before because it was flying so low.

sounds like a powerline repair ship..

I finally got a good enough look at that chopper to see that he was spraying something,could have been for insects or as Firepilot said,pylon washing(I'm not sure how they do that) but anyway,when the pilot was concentrating on one specific area I noticed a tank that was mounted on the choppers belly,so like I said,could've been spraying for insects or (as firepilot said)plyon washing.

Anyway,now I know and thanks to everyone for their input.

BTW,I wonder if that pilot realized he(or she) had an audiance.........lol

Edited by wild_blue

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got a good enough look at that chopper to see that he was spraying something,could have been for insects or as Firepilot said,pylon washing(I'm not sure how they do that) but anyway,when the pilot was concentrating on one specific area I noticed a tank that was mounted on the choppers belly,so like I said,could've been spraying for insects or (as firepilot said)plyon washing.

Anyway,now I know and thanks to everyone for there input.

BTW,I wonder if that pilot realized he(or she) had an audiance.........lol

Check out the June/July Vertical mag--there's a pic of a powerline spraying rig in the front news section. http://www.verticalmag.com/current/

--chris