Flight Schools / Costs / Payscales / Getting A Medical

I'M WONDERING WHERE I SHOULD TRAIN. HOW MUCH WILL IT COST AND HOW DO I PAY FOR IT? DO I NEED A MEDICAL? SHOULD I FIND A SCHOOL THAT HAS R22'S? ALSO, HOW MUCH WILL I GET PAID AS A PILOT? IS SILVER STATE A GOOD SCHOOL?

Just kidding. I'm just posting to introduce myself, let you all know I'll be lurking around here, and to fish for any random advice you all may have.

I'm 21 years old and currently live in Lincoln, NE. I work as a line guy at KLNK. I've always wanted to be a pilot. I'm unhealthily infatuated with aviation. I have had this interest, like many of you, from a very young age. For several years I've let my secondary interest, being rich one day, take priority. I attended the University of Nebraska (Go Huskers!) but quit recently when I decided to quit ignoring my instincts. I don't want to be indoors at a desk in a suit and tie for the rest of my working life doing a job that I dislike (but tolerate because it pays well). I want to be out and about, doing something exciting and a bit dangerous--something dynamic.

Now I'm working on my new plan. I have zero flight hours, little money, and a lot of motivation. There really aren't any helicopter training opportunities here in Nebraska, so I've accepted that I'll have to relocate. My lease ends in August. My father lives in Houston. I'm considering moving in with him while I train to ease the finances a little bit. Not my idea of fun, but it's just one of the many sacrifices I expect to have to make. Another advantage in Houston is that entry-level work pays much better. Right now, I work full-time making $8.50/hr. After rent and bills, I don't have much left. If I live with my father, I'll be able to live much cheaper than I am now AND be able to take advantage of the higher wages in Houston.

I'm thinking about getting my fixed wing private here in Lincoln, first. I've just picked up another part time job that should be generating $150-$200/week. I'd like to start donating plasma. That'll be another $60-$70 per week. I'm working on a budget now to reduce my discretionary spending and I'm forcing myself quit eating out (which I do at least once every day). Here we come, Top Ramen. Between these, I'm hoping to free up an extra $300/week or so.

I know there are a few places in and around Houston for chopper training. I've talked to Helicopter Services, Inc. on the phone. They seem like a pretty good school. Anything's Possible Aviation is really close to where my father lives. Despite the gaudy techno intro music on their website, they seem acceptable as well. I like the idea of training in Houston, and I would imagine there are a lot of opportunities there for helicopter pilots.

I plan on getting a Sallie Mae career training loan. I don't really know how else to pay for the training. I'd prefer not to spread the training out over several years, and I don't have any rich uncles. I don't have any kids (that I know of) and no expensive hobbies to maintain. I think I'll be able to handle the payments afterwards.

That's about it. Thanks for reading my post. If any of you have any knowledge or advice you'd like to impart, please do so. In the meantime, I'll be lurking around here and reading whatever I can find about flying.

Brandon

I talked to David at APA not too long ago. If I could break my lease and get out there, I'd already be training with him. He's a really great pilot, incredibly personable and you might want to let him buy you dinner, too.

It sounds like you've got a plan in place. The next step is to go down to Houston for a weekend and spend a day at both places. Ask as many questions as you can think of to as many people, students and CFI's, as you can. This is one instance where you want to be that slightly annoying person. 50-60k is alot of money to hand over to someone, even if it's in increments. Be a bit skeptical and if you take a demo flight, do your best to evaluate the CFI you fly with, although with zero hours it might be kind of tough.

1. Brandon, I think you'll go far! The quality of your post says enough about your comittment and enthusiasm. I would really advise on trying to save, at least a 'cash float' that you could live on during the hard times (which there will be). Ideally you'd not have to take a loan. If you must, then this 'cash for hard times' will come in really useful. This may take a few years, but you'll be happy for it later.

2. M Registered R22 - Tailrotor on right, Single Pilot on Left

Ha! Too early in morning, obviously. This picture on the Anything's Possible Aviation website needed a couple of takes, before I realised what was going on! :rolleyes:

3. Doesn't that logo look suspiciously like one of Jen's stylised Schweizers?

Joker

Edited by joker

Thanks for the replies!

I talked to David at APA not too long ago. If I could break my lease and get out there, I'd already be training with him. He's a really great pilot, incredibly personable and you might want to let him buy you dinner, too.

I talked to David quite a bit on the phone yesterday. He'll definitely be the first person I go see when I move to Houston. He's got a lot of flight time, and he seems to take pride in passing on that experience to students. He's not much a fan of low-time CFIs. My only concern is that he won't have the time when I'm trying to train full-time.

1. Brandon, I think you'll go far! The quality of your post says enough about your comittment and enthusiasm. I would really advise on trying to save, at least a 'cash float' that you could live on during the hard times (which there will be). Ideally you'd not have to take a loan. If you must, then this 'cash for hard times' will come in really useful. This may take a few years, but you'll be happy for it later.

2. M Registered R22 - Tailrotor on right, Single Pilot on Left

Ha! Too early in morning, obviously. This picture on the Anything's Possible Aviation website needed a couple of takes, before I realised what was going on! :rolleyes:

3. Doesn't that logo look suspiciously like one of Jen's stylised Schweizers?

Joker

Thanks for the advice!

LOL. I have a lot of photography and graphic design experience, and that stuck out like a sore thumb immediately. You see that happen a lot! I've seen professional, national publications with images flipped by someone that doesn't realize you can't do that when there is writing or specific left/right orientation in the photo. It always makes me laugh.

Good to know there's another Husker on here!!!

GO HUSKERS!!!

GGOOOOO BIIIIIGGGG RE-EDDDDDDDDDD