Civil Service/Federal Law Enforcement < 40 Years Old

Rob Lyman

Does anyone know if the maximum age requirement of < 40 years old for federal law enforcement pilots is waiverable? I am 42 and meet or exceed all of the requirements EXCEPT the age. I even have dual commercial tickets (airplane & helicopter). I also have 10 years of military service.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry my friend I do not know. But I wanted to tell you that you sound like the perfect canidate for the US Customs and Border Protection. Their guys fly helos, and planes, and many are ex military pilots. I think that they would be very interested in talking with you. Have you found any info on USAJobs.gov? Best of luck with your new career path.

For most Federal Law Enofrcement Officers, the maximum age is 37 years old. This is due to the mandatory retirement age of 57 (must have 20 years). The only way they waiver age is if you had prior "LEO" status. I recently saw an ad for the CBP pilot popsition and the maximum for it was 40 years old. Other than knowing a Senator or fitting some special "quota" they will not waive age. Of course anything is possible, such as if the government is desperate for pilots and are not getting any. We have seen a rise is enlistment ages...hmmm wonder why?

For most Federal Law Enofrcement Officers, the maximum age is 37 years old. This is due to the mandatory retirement age of 57 (must have 20 years). The only way they waiver age is if you had prior "LEO" status. I recently saw an ad for the CBP pilot popsition and the maximum for it was 40 years old. Other than knowing a Senator or fitting some special "quota" they will not waive age. Of course anything is possible, such as if the government is desperate for pilots and are not getting any. We have seen a rise is enlistment ages...hmmm wonder why?

Here is another crazy thing with the government and the age thing. Lets say you worked as a correctional officer for the Bureau of Prisons, you would fit the LEO status even though this is not "law enforcement." In addition, if you are employed as a federal employee for the BOP, then you are under the same LEO retirement program. The years you have as the BOP employee would stop your "age" if you were older than 37 and wanted to move on with say DEA, FBI, or any other LEO status job. Interestingly enough there are thousands of law enforcement officers that carry guns and wear police uniforms in the federal government that are police officers, but are not covered under the provisions of the LEO status and LEO (6 U.S.C) retirment program. This is being hotly debated and a bill was introduced to rectify this problem.

Good luck