Goodbye Simulator

Finally!!! :D

Yesterday was my 2nd day in the "real thing" (Schz.300C that is)...no more simulator!!

Monday (the 1st day)...we went up with a 14kt. wind out of the east. My instructor did the taxi and take-off and we shared the controls for the rest of the flight (about an hour). We did some climbs, turns, speed transitions, etc. It was amazing. He let me know that I was controlling about 75% of the etire flight once we were back on the ground. I won't lie...I was scared for about the first 5 minutes...don't know exactly why...maybe it's the fact that we were actually 500' AGL instead of simulated 500'. I don't think I looked at the guages for the first 3 minutes atleast.

The second flight (yesterday)...winds were about 9 kts (a little better). I shared the controls during taxi and take-off then at about 200ft. he went hands-off for the next 45 minutes. I FLEW!!! boys and girls...I REALLY FLEW!!! I then did a normal approach (with a little help) and we did some hover work for about 15 minutes. That was a bit more challenging but it went very well.

I had a lot more fun the 2nd time up and I'm sure that trend will continue. I'm as excited as ever and I anticipate the next time (Thurs.) It's hard to believe that I'll be flying alone one day :blink: ...but that's inevitable...and I know we'll be doing auto's soon :o ...one day at a time right???

Either way...I'm glad I'm moving forward with this...thanks to all...for all the advice and wisdom contained on this site.

Just update...

...no more simulator!!

Funny really. I am going back to sim next week...and I look forward to it. Chance to really try some crazy emergency procedures.

Just out of interest, which kind of SIM where you in? Fly-it? What did you do, and how many hours in there did you do? Just curious as to how sims are used for initial training.

Anyway, more importantly, congratulations!

Joker

Yes it was the "Fly It" sim...

They were using Flight Sim 2002 as the program...

I did around 14 hours...We did departures, landings, straight/level flight, turns, climbs, decents, straight-in autos, 90 and 180 autos (those don't simulate as well as straight-ins)...It is definitely different. Not a lot of depth perception, no peripheral vision...and no real "feeling" at the controls. Hovering is really difficult in the sim...cause the helicopter doesn't react to your motions right away.

I will tell you that it did help with general familiarization...which is their goal at that flight school. I'm glad I did the sim first...I think it made the transition easier and it helped with my confidence before the first real flight. It was good practice!!

Hope that helps...

Yes it was the "Fly It" sim...

They were using Flight Sim 2002 as the program...

I did around 14 hours...We did departures, landings, straight/level flight, turns, climbs, decents, straight-in autos, 90 and 180 autos (those don't simulate as well as straight-ins)...It is definitely different. Not a lot of depth perception, no peripheral vision...and no real "feeling" at the controls. Hovering is really difficult in the sim...cause the helicopter doesn't react to your motions right away.

I will tell you that it did help with general familiarization...which is their goal at that flight school. I'm glad I did the sim first...I think it made the transition easier and it helped with my confidence before the first real flight. It was good practice!!

Hope that helps...

Z- I think those 14 hours were pretty well spent. Time to learn basics without the pressure of just trying to hang onto the ship. I wish more schools teached that way...especially learning ATC communications, airspace, all that stuff.. Good Job !! Glad to hear you are in the air ! Goldy

Goldy, you ready to go fly a 206 with me now that we spent a few hours in a sim crashing one?

Hey Roger !! If I recall correctly I successfully auto'd to the ground 3 out of 5 times...I don't recall what happened those other 2 times !!!! OK...we both died...best we did it in a sim !

Actually that was a lot of fun. I have flown sim a few times since then..takes a bit more getting used to than the real thing, but I would love to have one ! I have a better idea though. I sourced a camera/dvd/ battery operated unit that you clamp to the headset bracket and video record each flight. Then you can review back at the shop, when you are not under the stress of just screwing up...every school should have one. Maybe I'll make a website on it..

c ya ( ps, I'd go fly a 206 with ya anytime!)

Goldy

Hrm, I never had a sim... Congrats on your first unassisted flight though!!

And I know it's crazy to think about what you'll be able to do once you're all done with training. The first time my instructor did a 180 auto I thought it was the most insane thing I'd ever been a part of... Now I'm doing them to my spot everytime =)