Absolutely a STUPID question!

OK, we've all watched the "COPS" type shows that feature ENG flying. It seems to be that the ONLY "commentator" (obviously NOT the pilot) is the only one in the LA Cally area. Sure, that channel is probably the only one that submits footage to these shows, so they get more air time on the big TV shows, but each and every time I watch one of these shows "he" is the voice I hear.

Anyone know him? More importantly, does anyone know the pilot(s) that cart this guy around the skies of LA chasing bad guys?

Fantastic footage, and even though your average Hum doesn't realize it, I attribute it to the pilots!

Edited by Fastlane
  • Like 1

Guest rookie101

I know of this "he" you speak of, but can't recall 'his' name. Check PPRuNe-Rotorhead section. I remeber them mentioning his name and I think the pilot's name as well. I know, a large forum to search through and I can't even remember what thread it was in. I will try and find it because now it is bothering me!! Thanks a lot Fastlane :rolleyes:

LOL Sorry about that rookie, but I'm the same way. My friends always get me with "name that movie" because they know it'll bug the heck out of me all day.

I know who you are talking about as well. I do not know his name but I can pretty much guarantee he isn't broadcasting from any of those helicopter chaces. If you pay close attention to the videos, you will hear the tires squeeling when a car takes a tight turn, or the sound of the wreck when it flies off of the cliff, or smashes violently into an oncoming vehicle. Now how would you hear that from 500 agl? Anyway it's all sound effects with one guy that sits in a studio with helicopter, and car sound effects. Anyway that's my 2 ¢'s.

I know of this "he" you speak of, but can't recall 'his' name. Check PPRuNe-Rotorhead section. I remeber them mentioning his name and I think the pilot's name as well. I know, a large forum to search through and I can't even remember what thread it was in. I will try and find it because now it is bothering me!! Thanks a lot Fastlane :rolleyes:

Went over there, registered, searched, blah blah blah. Gave myself a headache. LOL Thanks for the tip though!

A while back, it might have been Derek Bell or Larry Welk (both KCAL 9 pilots for those not familiar). Derek had some very "dramatically narrative" moments during chases in particular... Larry was and has been more of an observer relaying neutral info. Both cool dudes and great stick handlers. I kinda lost track of Derek - I think he's still flying for Larry at Angel City Air. Anyways, for the most part, a voice over and other dramatic sound effects are indeed added and used for the clips, but occasionally it will be the on-air talent.

Now for answering what I could, do I qualify for the Darwin award? My wife has told me I'm pretty stupid...I was very attracted to the post title for some reason - it was like a 'hey stupid' magnet for me. I'll shutup now.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Don't forget about Commander Chuck Street. Fly's a Pepsi JR for KTLA and has a pretty damn cute assistant that flys left seat as I recall!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=103892260

That IS a darn nice seat cover he has for the left one!

Is this the voice you speak of?

http://www.cbs2.com/video/?id=31768@kcbs.dayport.com

If so that is Larry Welk and he is the person to beat if you are in aerial ENG. He owns Angel City Air which provides 2 AStars for the KCBS/KCAL duopoly in LA. Yes he is the pilot and yes he does that reporting while flying. All that on top of navigating that crazy LA airspace and maintaining seperation with up to 10 other helicopters following the same thing. It is another level of flying. His bio is here:

http://cbs2.com/bios/local_bio_290185215.html

Is this the voice you speak of?

http://www.cbs2.com/video/?id=31768@kcbs.dayport.com

If so that is Larry Welk and he is the person to beat if you are in aerial ENG. He owns Angel City Air which provides 2 AStars for the KCBS/KCAL duopoly in LA. Yes he is the pilot and yes he does that reporting while flying. All that on top of navigating that crazy LA airspace and maintaining seperation with up to 10 other helicopters following the same thing. It is another level of flying. His bio is here:

http://cbs2.com/bios/local_bio_290185215.html

That sure sounds like him! Thanks for the links, LOL having fun watching all the ENG car chases! I can't believe he's got the stick, the camera, AND a microphone. I can't even chew gum while I'm flying yet. LOL

• 1 month later...
That sure sounds like him! Thanks for the links, LOL having fun watching all the ENG car chases! I can't believe he's got the stick, the camera, AND a microphone. I can't even chew gum while I'm flying yet. LOL

The only two voices in LA are Jeff Thau and Larry Welk...

A while back, it might have been Derek Bell or Larry Welk (both KCAL 9 pilots for those not familiar). Derek had some very "dramatically narrative" moments during chases in particular... <SNIP>

Was watching the typical shows the other day at the FD, and they actually had some footage of an interview with Derek about the "incident". Guy driving a chrysler K car, tried to drive off of a cliff (guardrail caught him), then tried to commit "suicide by cop".

I think Larry is the "voice" I'm thinking of. If he's at the controls, running the camera, and narrating all at the same time, my man has some talent!!!

Just guessing here, but are the camera controls on a "hat switch" on the collective?

Usually, the controls for the camera are riding in the back seat with the operator. As for the pilots who are often the on-air talent, they still have enough to keep them busy between comms and seperation with other ENG ships, LE/Fire supression/Medevac aircraft, and other traffic and trying to get optimum camera position for those who give a crap and watch unfolding events. Then, of course, there still is comms with tower in controlled airspace.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

In some cases the cameras are controlled by someone in the studio. In St. Louis, the camera guys for at least one of the stations are union. Their contract says something like they can't ride in non-station owned helicopters or non-union operated leasors. Therefore, the camera operator has to be back in the studio! There's an engineer in the helicopter to handle all the camera, microwave, audio, equipment, (and to tell the pilot wear to fly), but the guy with the joystick is on the ground. Pretty screwed up huh?

• 4 months later...