Professional Pilot and Navy Reserve?

IceWater

I've been doing some research on this subject but haven't found much here or other sites.

I'm pretty sure that most people know that being in the military reserves shouldn't make a difference at all when it comes to employment, and the duties of being a military reserve member. Unfortunately that's not always the case in the real world. From personal experience ten years ago, I was a Security Supervisor at a military museum called the "USS Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum". I was "Let Go" due to prolonged extra duties with the Reserves. Yes it was illegal what they did and I did seek help and tried to rectify the situation, but soon after I went on to something else. Everyone I talked to from the supervisory level to the Judiciary level of my reserve center said that it was illegal, but when I asked for help, everyone I talked to had a full scheule consisting organizing their sock drawer lol.

Getting to the point, has anyone had any experience or witnessed how being in the reserves affects a professional rotary wing pilot in the field? I'm alittle worried that employment may be harder for someone like me if a company hears that I'm a "Military Servicemember" even though I'm just a weekend warrior (We get deployed every once in while). The best jobs that work well with the reserves is having a State or City job. they're the most flexible when it comes to the reserves. Some companys are not. Some people I know have had to use their vacation days in order to do their two week per year drill and they're only given five vacation days per year!

I understand that military members have rights and laws are put in place, BUT companys can say anything they want when it comes to their own agendas.

Thank ahead of time!

I am in the Navy Reserve and I am employed by a GOM operator. I haven't seen any problem with working in this industry and being in the reserves.

The 14 on, 14 off schedule leaves a lot of time to complete reserve requirements. I'm sure that other schedules would also.

Also, the situation you described about being "let go" because of your reserve commitment is illegal. If it happens again, each state should have an office that handles those issues. There should be a phone number you can call to file a complaint either posted at your place of employment, or in your state's website.

Hope that info is helpful.

I'm a pilot in the National Guard and also work for a civilian 135 operator. I was hired to work utility (firefighting). Since I will most likely be gone most of the summer on contract, attending annual training and drills is difficult. My employer has asked more than once how much longer I have in the National Guard (I'm over 19 years right now). They have never come out and said that I can't be in the guard and work for them but I get the impression that they would prefer that I not have the guard commitment. I'm guessing that employers attitudes towards reserve service will vary depending on the work that you were hired to do.

After reading another post I want to add that the ESGR (Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve) has a website (google for the web site address) so if you do run into problems they are the resource to help you. Good Luck.

Thanks for the responses guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there was in the reserves lol. Fred, I know what you mean about that feeling you get from your employers and the reserves. I still have 6 more years before I get to my "20" so I'll have to try my best. That's why I stuck with the Navy. They're a bit more flexible when it comes to drilling and AT.

It's funny how people will thank you for your service to the country, but when it comes down to bussiness, it's a different story :(

Thanks for the responses guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there was in the reserves lol. Fred, I know what you mean about that feeling you get from your employers and the reserves. I still have 6 more years before I get to my "20" so I'll have to try my best. That's why I stuck with the Navy. They're a bit more flexible when it comes to drilling and AT.

It's funny how people will thank you for your service to the country, but when it comes down to bussiness, it's a different story :(

Congrats on your tenure - it's like a monkey off your back when that manilla envelope finally comes in the mail (about 6 months after your anniversary date, IIRC). I've been a drilling reservist for the past 24 continuous years and NEVER had a employer-related conflict. I've been employed by the federal government for the past 13 years, and I must say my agency is particularly "reserve friendly."

I suppose it depends on your employer, your relationship with said employer, and your career field.

Congrats on your tenure - it's like a monkey off your back when that manilla envelope finally comes in the mail (about 6 months after your anniversary date, IIRC). I've been a drilling reservist for the past 24 continuous years and NEVER had a employer-related conflict. I've been employed by the federal government for the past 13 years, and I must say my agency is particularly "reserve friendly."

I suppose it depends on your employer, your relationship with said employer, and your career field.

Thanks! Just six more years to go! I think you were in the ideal situation. Most who were employed by the State or the Federal Gov has it the easiest. No matter what happens they got no problems with the reserves. I don't know if there's alot of opportunity as a career pilot for the state or federal gov though. I know some state or city police out there have an aviation division, but you gotta be a beat cop for at least two years, and then you have to be specially selected and if you get through that obstacle you have to go through their in house pilot training (Or so I heard) lol

I know some state or city police out there have an aviation division, but you gotta be a beat cop for at least two years, and then you have to be specially selected and if you get through that obstacle you have to go through their in house pilot training (Or so I heard) lol

All true - there are no guarantees. On the other hand, what in life is?

Good luck to you.

Edited by palmfish

Icewater, you read my mind. My plan, directly after getting my CFII, is to join the USMCR and do my share. I'd had some concerns because flying helos in the gulf isn't like a desk job where you can pretty much pick up where you left off.

Also, if a pilot's unit (non-aviation related) were to get activated, would he need some kind of supplemental training to start flying after a year of toting a gun around the desert? I could see getting somewhat rusty after not flying for 12 months.

I've never had an issue, personally. However, I'm in the FL NG, and back in '04 we were actived 4 times for the 4 hurricanes that directly hit FL. All of us (In my Batt) got called up on very short notice. Most of us came back to our jobs, employers not happy about it, but understanding. However, I know of 2 guys that were let go because of it, but because FL is a 'right to work state' it is my understanding that the employer doesn't need to give a reason for letting them go. Even so, they would reference something completely different. Neither one of the guys took legal action, and quickly found other jobs. It happens, unforunately.

You can also look up the company on ESGR (Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve), if the company is listed on there as a supporter, typically you will not have any problem with them.

CHAD

Edited by FLHooker

Hey Ridge, that's why I joined the Navy Reserves, because they're very flexible. You can move anywhere in CONUS or even OCONUS if there's a Navy Reserve Center there ie: Guam, Hawaii etc etc. All you have to do is affiliate with the reserve center and your good as gold. I can't answer your question about re-training after a year of being in the sand box (or where ever) because I'm only a private student, but I can say that after missing out on a week of flying, feels like I have to re-learn some manuvers (my inexperience).

Hooker, that must have been a little rough! Four times in one year, mother nature was keeping you guys busy that year. As far being let go it's like a punch in the gut. Getting fired for serving your community and country was a very discouraging feeling for me and for those guys you were talking about. I'm really glad they found jobs right away. As far as ESGR is concerned I haven't looked yet but I have a feeling that most of the jobs listed will consist mainly City, State, Gov and Federal jobs (don't think there's alot of job openings for heilo pilots). But I will check it out!

It's www.esgr.com and actually there are ALL types of companies who are involved with it. You can also put your boss in for an award if they have helped you out, like myself back in '04. You'd be surprised, there are alot of companies there. Disclaimer: I'm sure there are a few in there that sign themselves up for it just to get recognition. Oh well.

Some people don't understand the total extent of actually serving your country part-time. It's just 1 weekend a month, right?!

CHAD