Looking for help from Gomers

Sebas

I'm ready to send in the resume, I am hoping for 14/14 so my choices are PHI,ERA, & RLC.

I have asked many people to recommend the best company, and as we have all seen from other posts everyone has strong opinions.

Maybe its just me but I'm always wary of taking advise from someone with a one sided view, I spoke to a pilot today who told me I should avoid PHI like the plague. He knew this as a fact because he worked at one of the other two. When I asked if he had worked for PHI of course he answered 'No', when asked of he had visited PHI again he said 'No'.

I would like to ask this question to someone who has worked at more than one of these three. I am hoping to find a person that can give the facts even if it comes with their personal opinions.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

I worked for GO for a year and left just before they were sold to RLC. We had several pilots leave during that time and go to RLC. Almost all of them said they wished they didnt do it. I hear lots of stories about RLC. most are about MX. They guys I knew didnt have any issues in that regard though. Have some friends (low time pilots) at PHI. They love it. Know some at Airlog, they seem to like it. They guys at ERA seem to be not so happy, lack of hrs not sure what they are doing hitch to hitch. Really what it comes down to is you. Go see them all, go down there and go to a couple of each of their bases. then go interview with them. You are the only person that can make you happy. You need to find out which company fits you. And thats what the GOM companies want to. they are not interested in a pilot who is not happy and causes issues.

Hope this helps

Fly Safe

BEN

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a related question:

I read so many threads that talk about seniority/pay within a specific company. I.E. if a 1000 hour pilot goes to PHI, gets lots of stick time/maybe some larger twin turbine time and then decides to take that "dream job" of flying whatever at another location, I'm reading that the seniority is lost.

So the question is, if PHI is pretty much Gulf centered and has hard ties to the oil industry, but a pilot knows they're not going to stay in the GoM forever, then is there a better company for outward expansion? Air Methods comes to mind, as they seem to have far-reaching ties and have jobs in multiple states.

I'm looking for versatility...maybe an outfit known to do oil, utility, long-line, fire, etc. I'm interested in the heavy stuff...looks and sounds fun to me; seems to be what I dream of vice EMS and LE (plus I have a large frame).

Opinions on this?

Here's a related question:

I read so many threads that talk about seniority/pay within a specific company. I.E. if a 1000 hour pilot goes to PHI, gets lots of stick time/maybe some larger twin turbine time and then decides to take that "dream job" of flying whatever at another location, I'm reading that the seniority is lost.

So the question is, if PHI is pretty much Gulf centered and has hard ties to the oil industry, but a pilot knows they're not going to stay in the GoM forever, then is there a better company for outward expansion? Air Methods comes to mind, as they seem to have far-reaching ties and have jobs in multiple states.

I'm looking for versatility...maybe an outfit known to do oil, utility, long-line, fire, etc. I'm interested in the heavy stuff...looks and sounds fun to me; seems to be what I dream of vice EMS and LE (plus I have a large frame).

Opinions on this?

Air Methods is pure EMS, and not a lot of flying. If you want to work in your hometown, EMS is it. You're never really off the job, although the contract has stiff conditions.

The GoM, however, is a job. You do it, you go home, the end. PHI would have been my first choice, and I have 13 years in the Gulf with'em. Air Log would be my first choice now, but they have no EMS ties that I'm aware of. PHI is, or was going big into EMS. You retained COMPANY seniority as you moved between divisions with them.

I'm at the gom now, and I love it. Got to agree with the poster that said he heard a lot of negative things about RLC - especially about the MX. Heard that all too, from people who worked there and from their old customers like Apache. That doesn't mean to say they don't have points that people like - it's not as if there are no pilots at RLC, so maybe you can check them out too.

You won't lose your seniority if you move to your "dream job" within PHI.

You will move quickly out of single engine turbines (206L3/407) to EC135's and S76's if you want to. Can't imagine you being more than 9 months in a single right now.

One of the good things about PHI and maybe about ERA too is that they both have EMS arms. With EMS and a stand alone company, when the hospital decides to change the contract or lose the helicopter altogether, you go with it. The company may well hold onto you for 6 months while they try to relocate you, but your roots and family you went there for now lose out to where you have to go with the company. Not so with PHI. Stay where you are living, maybe commute to work in the GOM for a while until your next dream job comes up - doesn't matter how long, no seniority lost.

At Era you may get to start in a EC120 (not my cup of tea) or an Astar. At PHI you will usually get a 206L3/L4 & 407 transition immediately. Airlog has a "stricter" policy towards things as I understand it because they have a closed shop Union membership. This means when you go to Air Log you will pay union dues and you have to be in the Union. Opinion on Union's is up to the individual. Personally I'm not going to comment. At Phi we have a union the same as that at Airlog, but you don't have to join. Era has no union at all, but a trawl of that "other site" for more opinionated pilots (see JH) will reveal that there are maybe alot of mutterings about getting one.

Seniority only really matters to pilots that are unionised. What it says (rightly I think) is that if you have been at the company the longest, you should now get first choice on all the jobs. What it doesn't always do though is put the right pilot in the right job; and that is because we all want jobs for different reasons - some want the job because they love to do the best for the company they are flying for, some want it because they get to go home every night as they live near that base, some want that job so they can avoid flying out of so-and-so base, or for such-and-such company. That doesn't mean you can't be all three - that's a dream job I guess, just that sometimes just because that job suits a pilot, it doesn't neccessarily follow that the pilot suits the job, the location, the other people that fly the same job etc etc.

When I was first getting into the GOM my choices were narrowed down , and I am more than happy with the choice I made.

I think mixmaster has he right idea. Try to think of Job interviews are mostly for you to see if you want to work for them. Do you have a commercial license and instrument rating and a pulse? Are you teachable? Then the job at any of these companies is yours. Go check them out. Go look at the accomodations they make you sleep in, check out the bases for amenities, (stores, gas station etc), and go take a look at the company headquarters too. You'll soon know which one suits you best.

Happy hunting!!

FFF :P

I'm at the gom now, and I love it. Got to agree with the poster that said he heard a lot of negative things about RLC - especially about the MX. Heard that all too, from people who worked there and from their old customers like Apache. That doesn't mean to say they don't have points that people like - it's not as if there are no pilots at RLC, so maybe you can check them out too.

You won't lose your seniority if you move to your "dream job" within PHI.

You will move quickly out of single engine turbines (206L3/407) to EC135's and S76's if you want to. Can't imagine you being more than 9 months in a single right now.

One of the good things about PHI and maybe about ERA too is that they both have EMS arms. With EMS and a stand alone company, when the hospital decides to change the contract or lose the helicopter altogether, you go with it. The company may well hold onto you for 6 months while they try to relocate you, but your roots and family you went there for now lose out to where you have to go with the company. Not so with PHI. Stay where you are living, maybe commute to work in the GOM for a while until your next dream job comes up - doesn't matter how long, no seniority lost.

At Era you may get to start in a EC120 (not my cup of tea) or an Astar. At PHI you will usually get a 206L3/L4 & 407 transition immediately. Airlog has a "stricter" policy towards things as I understand it because they have a closed shop Union membership. This means when you go to Air Log you will pay union dues and you have to be in the Union. Opinion on Union's is up to the individual. Personally I'm not going to comment. At Phi we have a union the same as that at Airlog, but you don't have to join. Era has no union at all, but a trawl of that "other site" for more opinionated pilots (see JH) will reveal that there are maybe alot of mutterings about getting one.

Seniority only really matters to pilots that are unionised. What it says (rightly I think) is that if you have been at the company the longest, you should now get first choice on all the jobs. What it doesn't always do though is put the right pilot in the right job; and that is because we all want jobs for different reasons - some want the job because they love to do the best for the company they are flying for, some want it because they get to go home every night as they live near that base, some want that job so they can avoid flying out of so-and-so base, or for such-and-such company. That doesn't mean you can't be all three - that's a dream job I guess, just that sometimes just because that job suits a pilot, it doesn't neccessarily follow that the pilot suits the job, the location, the other people that fly the same job etc etc.

When I was first getting into the GOM my choices were narrowed down , and I am more than happy with the choice I made.

I think mixmaster has he right idea. Try to think of Job interviews are mostly for you to see if you want to work for them. Do you have a commercial license and instrument rating and a pulse? Are you teachable? Then the job at any of these companies is yours. Go check them out. Go look at the accomodations they make you sleep in, check out the bases for amenities, (stores, gas station etc), and go take a look at the company headquarters too. You'll soon know which one suits you best.

Happy hunting!!

FFF :P

Thanks to both of you for the answers, and that's just what I was getting at. PHI seems very attractive, and yes the idea of flying the S76 or even greater monsters are what seem to "do it" for me, so maybe that's the way to go. EMS sounds great too, but it would seem that you'd want something else going as well to keep proficiency and flight hours. Dunno about that one.

What's Air Log's background besides petrol? Are they into any long line or other utility stuff? Some of you mentioned not liking PHI. What are your reasons for this?

FWIW I've been working for about 20 years now...10 years in the military and 10 outside in/around various contractors such as Raytheon and Lockheed (with a few failed startup companies thrown in) so I've dealt with the BS and have a low tolerance for some aspects of said BS.

So if you have the straight dope, hit me with it. I'm certainly all ears.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to both of you for the answers, and that's just what I was getting at. PHI seems very attractive, and yes the idea of flying the S76 or even greater monsters are what seem to "do it" for me, so maybe that's the way to go. EMS sounds great too, but it would seem that you'd want something else going as well to keep proficiency and flight hours. Dunno about that one.

What's Air Log's background besides petrol? Are they into any long line or other utility stuff? Some of you mentioned not liking PHI. What are your reasons for this?

FWIW I've been working for about 20 years now...10 years in the military and 10 outside in/around various contractors such as Raytheon and Lockheed (with a few failed startup companies thrown in) so I've dealt with the BS and have a low tolerance for some aspects of said BS.

So if you have the straight dope, hit me with it. I'm certainly all ears.

bump.