What to do first??

I am trying to come up with a plan that will provide the best start for my career, not necessarily the fastest way to get CFI cert. I am going to get a degree to go along with my licenses. I have absolutely no training yet, aside from hitting all of the "beginner" books. My wife is going to have a good job by the time I start training and she is being very cool about paying for my school (since I paid for hers). I have a few scenarios that I have thought through.

Option 1: Do flight training hardcore, get my CFI rating while possibly working part time and once I get my rating start going to college full time while working part time as a CFI.

Problem: I don't know how flexible the flight school will be employing a full time college student as an instructor.

Option 2: Do college hardcore with little or no flight time, working part time at whatever boring job I can find, and start flight training after graduation.

Problem: I think this will suck and take forever!!!

Option 3: Do College and flight training both part time at the same time, and have no job, relying only on my wife's income to support me. (Note: she has worked part time the entire way through her school) This option will probably be the fastest, but I don't know exactly how much time it would save.

Problem: We would be broke for at least 2 years while doing flight school, and I have heard it will cost more to stretch out flight training because of forgetting what you learn. I would also feel like I would be leaching off of my wife since I would have no income.

One concern is annoying the flight school staff because of having a hectic schedule. (Both as a student and CFI)

Thanks for all of your opinions. You guys rock!

Edited by Sparker

There are options for College/flight school. These are a few I can remember. I am sure you can find some more if you look.

1. UND, North Dakota, has a heli program, but very expensive, and ROTC programs.

2. Embry Riddle, AZ, has a heli minor program.

3. UVSC, has numerous flight schools around the usa affiliated, course work done online.

4. GATC, Georgia Aviation Tech College, heli program.

5. Wallace State College, AL, heli program.

6. North East Helicopters, affiliated with colleges in Holyoke, Massachusetts and Naugatuck Valley Community College, located in Waterbury Connecticut.

7. Hillsboro Aviation, OR, Portland Community College and Embry Riddle Portland, heli programs.

You can use Pilot Career Foundations website to locate some UVSC schools, but not all. You can call UVSC Aviation or email them for schools info.

Later

My advice...

Option 1 or 2

I think it is more important to focus on a goal, attain it then move on.

Thinking of Option 2 - Flight training can be your long term goal. College will give yourself the security (in form of other job options) while reaching this goal and for some years after. Eventually, you might want to merge both your skills (college profession and aviation) together.

This was / is my plan. I worked in my first profession for 8 years whilst always having the goal of getting into aviation. All the time I was saving a little here and a little there. When the time was right, I made the shift, all the while knowing that I had enough expertise to go back to my first profession if things went sour. Finances weren't a problem seeing as I'd saved enough over the 8 years to do the training, live like a monk for half a year, and have change to spare.

Now I can see myself in the future bringing together 'education philosophy' (I did an education degree) and aviation. I don't think avaition approaches education properly yet, and I see huge potential in this sector of the aviation industry. Let's see!

Thinking of Option 1 - This is also good, in so far as you are focused on one goal. However, as you've read, there are no guarantees in this industry. A car accident, bad illness or any number of things could render you unable to get a medical. Or you might not get that first job so quickly. What will you do in the meantime?

Thinking of Option 3 - Not a great idea. You will find yourselves (wife and you) very stressed. Your performance in either will not be as good as you know you could do. You might find the financial burden too heavy, and have to drop one (probably flight training).

It is possible to make each of your options work. While I suggest 2 (it is the most conservative), it worked for me as a single man. It might not work for someone who is planning on kids in a few years. Only you can know.

Just my opinion. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Joker

Edited by joker

I should have pointed out that my degree is not going to be an aviation degree. I am going to go to a business college/ university.

Thanks

OK,

How about a BS Admin in Aviation?

UVSC BS Admin/Prof Pilot minor

Embry Riddle has Business Majors too.

Just keeping the idea ball a bouncin>>

I like the idea of getting credit for both ventures..I don't believe you will be wasting money this way.

I am the new guy on the block! I am trying to get through the training on a low budget. Would anyone know of a way to get a loan for school to complete at a faster rate??

I am trying to come up with a plan that will provide the best start for my career, not necessarily the fastest way to get CFI cert. I am going to get a degree to go along with my licenses. I have absolutely no training yet, aside from hitting all of the "beginner" books. My wife is going to have a good job by the time I start training and she is being very cool about paying for my school (since I paid for hers). I have a few scenarios that I have thought through.

Option 1: Do flight training hardcore, get my CFI rating while possibly working part time and once I get my rating start going to college full time while working part time as a CFI.

Problem: I don't know how flexible the flight school will be employing a full time college student as an instructor.

Option 2: Do college hardcore with little or no flight time, working part time at whatever boring job I can find, and start flight training after graduation.

Problem: I think this will suck and take forever!!!

Option 3: Do College and flight training both part time at the same time, and have no job, relying only on my wife's income to support me. (Note: she has worked part time the entire way through her school) This option will probably be the fastest, but I don't know exactly how much time it would save.

Problem: We would be broke for at least 2 years while doing flight school, and I have heard it will cost more to stretch out flight training because of forgetting what you learn. I would also feel like I would be leaching off of my wife since I would have no income.

One concern is annoying the flight school staff because of having a hectic schedule. (Both as a student and CFI)

Thanks for all of your opinions. You guys rock!

I'm sort of in the same boat as Joker. Gotta always have a "plan B." Something to fall back on. I'm just starting my aviation training as well, after being on the job for 18 years. Although I can NEVER go back once I leave (I'm too old for a fresh hire now) I have 6 years until I can retire. I want to have all the aviation stuff figured out and DONE by then. Move along to career #2, take the wife with me and tour the country wherever I can get stick time. Simple, huh? Well, it sounds simple. Until I found out I have to take a part time job to pay for part time flight school. Now I'm working 56 hours a week at job 1, 24 hours a week at job 2, many mandatory hours of QFT. Doesn't leave a lot of stick time.

OK, now that being said here's MY thoughts on your options.

On all options, beware of the AIDS!

#1: In your situation, I like it. As long as the wife goes along with it. There's always college later. Like Joker said, 1 car wreck, bad decision, or any number of things, and the FAA will yank your a$$ right out of the sky! I see people in wheelchairs at our college all the time. Not putting handicapped people down at all on that. Just the way it is.

#2: I disagree with Joker, but for different reasons. I wanted to do this aviation "thing" since childhood. Chose the fire service over the Navy. It's a long story, but I was actually sitting at the recruiter's desk and said "no". I'll give you all the long version if you're interested. 18 years down the road, I'm finally getting back around to it. I'm afraid you'll lose sight of it, and head off onto other things, just like I did. Get a degree, get offered a "job", sit in your office staring at the skies wondering, IF your office has a window.

#3: NOT gonna work. Flight school won't care if you go part time, but it'll cost you skills and money in the long run. College says you HAVE to be at such and such class. Off from school? AWESOME, let's go fly! NOPE. Weather sucks, bird is down for 500 hour, someone else has it/instructor rented, etc etc etc etc etc.

Anyways, that's my situation, and my $.02 on the whole deal. Take it for what it's worth, but I really do wish you luck in whatever route you take. ;)

A few other things:

If I did the flight training first, do you guys think I could do classes while being a flight instructor as my part time job?

Another note: I meant to mention this, but we are going to try to pay cash for everything. No school loans on flight training or college.

Thanks for the ideas!

UVSC doesn't look too bad, I have been accepted, just not sure if that's the way I wanna go yet....

OK, since there is an audience of new-not yet pilots on this post I had to give some 2 cents. Check the search function for other similar posts...a lot of good past info out there. Remember, that you can each get your student license, 3rd class medical, groundschool, and pass the written test for under 250 bucks. I did it, and I preach that it is the way to go. To know 70 or 80 % of groundschool topics before you seriously start flying allows you to focus on the flight skills and not be confused about everything!!

Throw in some free internet ATC monitoring, and your radio skills go way up..another free source.

Good luck to all of you, Goldy

If I did the flight training first, do you guys think I could do classes while being a flight instructor as my part time job?

If you are a good flight instructor, and you are able to fit the requirements in terms of time that the school wants from you, then yes. As to what each school requires, then you'd have to talk to the schools. (Maybe the VR members who own schools can pitch in.)

I think, there are definitely schools who would be happy to have a 'part-time' instructor or 'weekend-only' instructor or 'morning / afternoon' instructor...that type of thing. I also know there are schools who wouldn't like this at all.

Other schools are the sort where the students are also doing other things, and the school tolerates / accepts flexibility from both instructors and students. The caveat to this is the school which is fairly busy, students are on a time constraint and want regular instruction.

So what I'm saying is yes, find the school that suits you and that you suit them.

we are going to try to pay cash for everything. No school loans on flight training or college.

I absolutely applaud this idea. Loans are scary things; the whole idea of them is crook. It would be nice to have a 6 month cash-float, to keep you going through difficult patches. The worst would be if you needed a large repair for your house, and you had to stop flight training for 2 months to get it done. This is when things get stressful.

Good luck with it all.

Joker

I am trying to come up with a plan that will provide the best start for my career, not necessarily the fastest way to get CFI cert. I am going to get a degree to go along with my licenses.

Wow, that's an ambitious plan...a concurrent BS in business (I'm assuming all this analysis is not about getting just an Associates degree) and a training program leading to a CFI certification. An observation, bear in mind that both of these objectives...the degree and the CFI ticket...are just the entry level requirements to allow you to begin an apprenticeship in those respective fields.

A question, do you really think you can devote enough time and energy to both of these to become sufficiently expert to be successful or will you end up being mediocre in both?

Wow, that's an ambitious plan...a concurrent BS in business (I'm assuming all this analysis is not about getting just an Associates degree) and a training program leading to a CFI certification. An observation, bear in mind that both of these objectives...the degree and the CFI ticket...are just the entry level requirements to allow you to begin an apprenticeship in those respective fields.

A question, do you really think you can devote enough time and energy to both of these to become sufficiently expert to be successful or will you end up being mediocre in both?

Fry-

I am not shocked by your overwhelming amount of optimism...

I think you must feel responsible to police this forum and make sure everybody sees how tough life is and how everybody is out there to rip you off. I already have somebody like that in my life. My Dad. I don't need some anonymous guy on the internet babysitting my decisions. I just want advice. Life's best lessons are learned the hard way. You can go around and tell everybody they are making mistakes... and they probably are, but they aren't going to change their mind because you told them to. Did you listen to your parents when they warned you about (insert stupid decision here)...?

To answer your question, I am very ambitious. I will not settle for mediocrity. Sounds like you think anybody who aspires for a career in aviation is subscribing to a life of hardship and financial pain. I will not lack focus because I am not going into two separate fields... Are there no businesses to be run in the helicopter industry? I want to be well rounded. I do not plan to work for someone else for the rest of my life.

I'm not sure if you really mean well or not. People would be a lot more receptive if you didn't sound so harsh. I have learned the best lessons in my life from my last boss. He was always yelling and screaming at me. He was a major jerk. He always made me think. Maybe that is what you are trying to do, but there is huge difference between you and him. I know him.

Nobody knows who you are. Give us a little info on yourself and we might take you more seriously.

Hmmm, I hope you're on antidepressants. I was able to get a BA while getting my private, ifr, and commercial ratings, as well as getting my insurance license and having a part time job. I think the main concern is money, not the workload. And while I agree with most of your posts on finances, that isn't the issue here. If you have enough determination, you can do anything; I consistently had honors while doing all of this. I don't have my CFI, but thats because I have become distracted by a full time job, and I plan to get it in the near future. Whats the point of posting if every single comment is negative? I know this won't happen, but maybe you could shed some light on what exactly turned you into the forum's destroyer of dreams :blink:

I don't need some anonymous guy on the internet babysitting my decisions. I just want advice. Life's best lessons are learned the hard way.

To answer your question, I am very ambitious. I will not settle for mediocrity.

Oh lighten up...if you're going to ask for advice on the internet you can't pick and choose the responses. Besides, I didn't think what I posted was especially negative.

Certainly life's lessons can be learned the hard way...but why? It wastes so much time to learn by trial and error (Isn't that why you're considering college...education instead of just experience). A smart person at least listens...it doesn't cost anything and you don't have to agree.

My point was only that what you are considering is a heavy workload. You may not want to settle for mediocity but you may not have a choice...there's only so many hours in a day.

Good luck

Ok here's another idea - what about getting your ground instructor certificates and then teaching those subjects part time - or even start your own "freelance" ground school while you get your college degree, then start the flying???

Maybe that could work.

FFF :lol:

Certainly life's lessons can be learned the hard way...but why? It wastes so much time to learn by trial and error (Isn't that why you're considering college...education instead of just experience). A smart person at least listens...it doesn't cost anything and you don't have to agree.

Good luck

There is definitely wisdom in seeking counsel of others... exactly why I am here. Why learn lessons the hard way? Because nobody is always right. You are wrong, fry... I am wrong. I am willing to listen, but if I take the wrong person's advice I could make a horrible decision. What is right for you isn't right for me, but if I combine all of the suggestions here, I think I have a good plan.

If I want to be rich, I don't ask a homeless guy for financial advice. If I want to be fit, I don't ask Rosie O'Donnel for a weight loss plan, If I want to be a pilot I want advice from a pilot....

I honestly apreciate you taking the time to share your opinion.

Edited by Sparker

While granted it's always a good thing in general to have a 4yr degree, it's gonna suck to go through all that work AND do flight training at the same time. Not saying it can't be done, but it's gonna be a lot of work and flight training isn't going to go as fast as it could otherwise, and you might lose money due to that.

In any case, if you have the drive it sounds like you'll be fine. Not necessarily the way I'd go, but to each his (Or her) own. Good Luck!

Edited by Azhigher

My thinking was with the combo degree UVSC, BS ADmin/pilot, if it didn't work out in the long run, you could always go back for a Masters, and specialize in a Business area .. Its a good compromise, I have seen a few CFI ads over the years that wanted business/sales skills as well as the CFI/CFII.

Later

My thinking was with the combo degree UVSC, BS ADmin/pilot, if it didn't work out in the long run, you could always go back for a Masters, and specialize in a Business area .. Its a good compromise, I have seen a few CFI ads over the years that wanted business/sales skills as well as the CFI/CFII.

Later

Everybody wants to employ a salesman. Even if that isn't their title.

Thanks...