HELMETS?

Hey All,

Just curious how many students or former students out there who are or did wear a helmet during your training? I start training in a couple of weeks and have both a Bose headset and an SPH 5 helmet.

I remember when I was a kid part of the lure of being a pilot was the cool helmets that you got to wear. I would really like to wear mine but I don't want to be thought of as a dork or laughed at behind my back. Also I will be training in AZ so there is deffinately a heat factor.

I know its really about me and the safety factor and, its silly to care about what whoever thinks. So I was just curious about other students.......

Peace out

Chuck

Edited by CYGNUS I

I would be far more worried about being called silly for using phrases like "Piece Out." I am not up on modern teenage slang but I think that it is supposed to be "Peace" out. ;)

Seriously though do what is comfortable for you. Try both and see which works best. You may catch some ribbing for wearing helmet but as you indicated, it really comes down to what works best for you. There are LOTS of threads on here about helmets vs headsets but that is the gist of them all. Some people swear by them, others just swear AT them.

Word :P :P

up here most schools give you a helmet when you sign up. Its just what you do. So i "grew up" wearing one. However i have flown many hours in a head set also. My advice, find a comfortable helmet. Light weight is paramount for me.

It made a big difference for me to see crash pictures mostly of robinsons on their sides and realizing that many of those in helmets walked away. I would put up with a bit of snickering in exchange for safety.

I remember when I was a kid part of the lure of being a pilot was the cool helmets that you got to wear.

Ah yes... this I remember :)

As for whether to wear the helmet or not.. you could/should speak with your instructor and see what s/he thinks... both about the wearing it at all (s/he might pref that you not) and what ppl will/might think or say. I would hope that people would be mature enough to keep their (unconstructive) opinions to themselves, and not waste mental energy on such insignificant things.

-darwin

If it makes you feel good do it.

After all, why are you flying anyway-

For your own sense of enjoyment and accomplishment.

I doubt anyone will think twice about you wearing the hat.

enjoy

gft

I've been wanting one for quite a while. Main reason for me is that I've mostly been on the side of "safety" rather than "risky". Guess it was the way I was brought up. I've ridden motorcycles since I was 12, and a hardhat was always worn...well, mostly.

This is something you're going to have to figure out: safety or ridicule. Personally, I don't mind ridicule-much. I have nomex, and I know some think it's cheesy. Even I think it's cheesy. But then look at it from another point of view.

Safety can be a pain in the butt if you let it, so have fun with it. You can play it for what it's worth and possibly influence others too. I tok the nomex and added a couple of patches and a nametag-"Sky Captain". It's good for laughs and now the line guys-the best-call me that. One patch is the "Robbie Ranger" patch, and the other is the "Enterprise" patch from the show. The "Defiant" patch is too big to put on there. But I do have fun with it. You should too.

My hardhat should get here soon, and I'm going to paint something on it. At first I was going to get some "Bullet holes" stickers to put on it. The spousal unit said no! I guess the Swastika is out too.

Ridicule is my middle name.

I say get one and wear it to your hearts content. If others talk about you behind your back, frak'em. You don't need to hang around those like that. They do that, and next thing you know you have another episode of "The Young and the Restless" going on and it starts sounding like the Just Helicopters forum. (I go there for the entertainment)

Be proud of yourself and don't worry about what they think. Besides, nomex and helmets add to the "Cool Factor" of flying helicopters.

SIDE NOTE

One of the airplane CFI's asked me when I came into the office why we helicopter pilots wear flightsuits. There was another helo pilot in nomex there from another school. I replied "It's the cool factor." I turned to the other pilot and asked "Right?" He just smiled. I can bee so nerdy sometimes.

Later

I too have the SPH-5 and the Bose Aviation X headset, and they're both great pieces of equipment! I use my helmet when I fly (Still working on my Private) and use my headset every once in a while to feel/hear the difference. After flying with the helmet and then switching to the headset I kinda feel naked without my helmet lol.

I also ride motorcycles and always ride with a helmet and maybe that's why I feel weird when I fly without one. There's a moto that I stick by which is Let it be the rider's choice. Don't let others opinions influence you in what head gear you wear when you fly. It's your head not theirs!

There's also the cool factor for me! I always thought the heli helmets looked cool, one fellow student thought I was administering a checkride to an instuctor when he saw me the first time after landing lol.

Just be aware that if you're flying in an R22 it will be a tight squeeze. I'm 5' 6" and I can turn my head in all directions without barely bumping my head. Any taller and you may be alittle uncomfortable unless you take the doors off.

Chuck,

I just want to add a little to all the previous posts with good advice. I fly HEMS now and wear a helmet because the company requires it. I think it is overkill. While I learned to fly and instructed for 6 years in an R22 I wore a headset. I think it would be a reasonable risk now to wear just a headset, but really I should have worn a helmet back then. The risk of a survivable rollover is much greater in training than most other flying you will ever do. If anyone in the entire industy should wear helmets it should be students and instructors first.

Get your helmet painted up nice and put some cool stickers on it and just laugh with the others when they laugh at you. Some just might follow you in due time.

Marc D.

Can anyone list some brands and prices on helmets. I might be interested in getting one.

Here you go: http://www.flightsuits.com/helm_sph5.html

They sell Gentex Helmets, but you should also look in to Gallet Helmets (I think that's how you spell it).

Also do a Google search for "Helicopter Helmets" you'll find lots of information out there. You'll also find some deals on Ebay, I saw a few but wasn't savy with the idea of using a helmet someone else was wearing, I have this thing about koodies lol.

Here you go: http://www.flightsuits.com/helm_sph5.html

They sell Gentex Helmets, but you should also look in to Gallet Helmets (I think that's how you spell it).

Also do a Google search for "Helicopter Helmets" you'll find lots of information out there. You'll also find some deals on Ebay, I saw a few but wasn't savy with the idea of using a helmet someone else was wearing, I have this thing about koodies lol.

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to thank you for your replies. I will probably switch on and off until I decide but I'm thinking I would'nt want to have an altercation without one you know. Way too many moving parts and such going on.

I got my helmet off of e-bay, it was a sph 5 cg model ($450) and I just got the civilian comms from flight suits and put them in myself. By the time I was done I almost could've got a brand new one. Oh well it was in mint condition and it's pretty sweet,I always wanted one now I can justify it :rolleyes:

Chuck

I e-mailed my future school today and the chief said "I've seen two helmets in the nine years that I've been here". I know the robbies are small and I don't plan on crashing ,but 2 in9 years just seems odd to me :blink:

If I rode motorcycles I wouldn't do it without a helmet. Guess I'll just have to be the dork with a helmet :P

Chuck

I have had a bird come through a chin bubble. The windshields provide very little protection against a 10 pound bird. If it was three feet higher, I and my medcrew would probably be dead.

Buy a helmet and wear it in every helicopter you fly all the time.

Hey Slick,

Also look at flighthelmets.com Their least expensive one is about $500, an SPH-4. They also have kevlar and SPH-5's.

If you go to Ebay, watch out. It looks like most of those are surplus and have military comms. That means that you have to buy comms and install them. Also, the helmet might be damaged or may need a refurbish. Either way, you're going to spend a few bucks.

Another neat helmet is like the Canooks have. It's a Gentex 411. I saw it oat Chino Army Navy via Ebay. It looks like an SPH-4, but without the ear covers. I was thinking of getting one before I found flighthelmets.com.

Later

Here is a link to ear protection, It is a download and about 9 pages.

A lot of good info, regarding dBs and the methods of checking

www.sportmuff.com/Acrobat/Approved%20HPDs.pdf

Some other links

www.flighthelmet.com

http://www.beasafepilot.com/equipment.htm worth a read

www.aviation-helmets.co.nz/

www.headsetservices.com

www.gentexcorp.com/ This site is real a lulu. so dificult to navigate :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Try helmet components, more.

www.bransys.ch/Accessories/accessories.html site has referances to numerous helmet types

I finally got my SPH-4 Wednesday and wore it this afternoon for a bad day of flying.

No, the helmet was not the cause, I was having a bad day.

Anyhoo, I have about a half inch of clearance between the top and roof, and it fits well. It was hot in the cabin and so my head was a little hot. The comms work, but when using the intercom, it's very loud. The radio volume is OK, but I get blasted from Mikes Bose. I'm going to take his batteries away.

There's a noticable increase in engine noise, or hum, in the helmet itself. I think it's because of resonance. I'll have to look into that and maybe even install the Oregon Aero hush kit. Also while in intercom mode, I noticed that the speakers have a little crackle in them. I might need to replace the speakers with a pair from DC or Sigtronics or something. I'm thinking Astrocom, while good for military applications, may not have good comms for the civil population. I'll look into that as well.

The helmet isn't that heavy-I barely noticed it. But then again, I also wear a motorcycle helmet that's a little heavier.

Money kinda well spent. Kinda.

Later

Taking away his batteries won't help. They aren't in his mike circuit, they only power the ANR of the receive side. Changing speakers won't help with the crackle, either, because they're just reproducing the noise already in the system. You're just hearing it better because you have a better impedance match. I recommend earplugs under the helmet. That's by far the cheapest and most effective solution. It will also help preserve your hearing.

Another neat add-on for your SPH4 or other flight helmet is the communications earplug (CEP). I've flown with them in the military and also have them installed in my civilian helmet (SPH4 with the civilian speakers and microphone). The CEPs are an earplug with a microphone inside (go to flightsuits.com and look under products). They will cost about $150 bucks (not installed) but really knock down the noise while still allowing you to hear the radio.

Ummm...I was kidding about the batteries :huh:

I forgot to mention that I had a few people teasing me about the helmet. I don't care, I was going for the "Cheese" factor on this one. Next time, it'll be the helmet AND flightsuit. I'm adding a Mickey Mouse patch to it. I need to find a "Lost in Space" Jupiter 2 patch also. I'm talking movie, not TV show.

Later

Edited by Witch