California Heli School Reputations?

Hey all. I'm a newbie here and like most, I need some advice. Can anybody here recommend a Heli School in Southern Cali? I live in Los Angeles and have been looking at the schools around here, but there are a handful and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what the best ones are. I've got two in mind, but not sure which is the smarter pick. One School is very small, but the Chief Pilot and owner is a well respected guy and really will do his best to help me succeed afterward by helping me get a job, etc. He also seems to get all of his students employed right after school, But the School itself isn't that easy on the eyes and doesn't have the amenities as lets say another larger school I'm looking at, which churns many students out every year, has a good reputation, and has nice added features. Any thoughts or recommended schools?

Hey all. I'm a newbie here and like most, I need some advice. Can anybody here recommend a Heli School in Southern Cali? I live in Los Angeles and have been looking at the schools around here, but there are a handful and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what the best ones are. I've got two in mind, but not sure which is the smarter pick. One School is very small, but the Chief Pilot and owner is a well respected guy and really will do his best to help me succeed afterward by helping me get a job, etc. He also seems to get all of his students employed right after school, But the School itself isn't that easy on the eyes and doesn't have the amenities as lets say another larger school I'm looking at, which churns many students out every year, has a good reputation, and has nice added features. Any thoughts or recommended schools?

I recommend Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad. Everything that is to be considered is top notch. The aircraft, the maintenance, the instructors :D (I am one here), the reputation, the owner.

Its all fantastic and I hope you would stop by and consider.

Sebastian

If you are near San Berdo, try Western Ops @ Rialto with Pete or Bob (S269/300/500). If you are in/near OC, try Helistream John Wayne/SNA with Andreas & Rod & gang (R22/206/120/350). Not as well versed with the ops out of the SF valley/Van nuys (ehhHH, GOLDY...). If near north county/SD, Civic - as mentioned - is great with Chin & Eugene (R22/300/206/350). If in the IE (hardcore), try USA Academy Of Aviation @French Valley Airport with Johan (R22 & 44). Keep checking around 'till you find the right people & place tho...

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I will second arotrhd on his recommendations. I looked and visited all those schools plus some and ended up at Western myself. PM if you want any additional info. Since my preference was training in a 300, that limited my choices down a bit, and it wasn't a knock on schools with R22's.

I will also go with arotrhd's first two recommendations since I have trained with both. Both first rate schools with excellent instructors. I don't have any info on the rest so I will remain neutral like the swiss....

If you're in the L.A. area, you should look into PCH Helicopters at Torrance. Good owner and instructors, resonable prices.

I agree with gh1, PCH is a really good school. I fly there too! Rates are reasonalbe, plus you just add the insurance to the hourly rate, if you don't have the $400(not sure on the insurance fee) to pay the insurance per year. The CFI's are all really good, I fly with Ryan, and he's a really good CFI.

And it's a straight shot down the Harbor freeway too! Also, you can train on the field(x2 pads), or it's a 4 minute flight to San Pedro, to practice out at one of the berths! So, you're getting a lot more time to do actual training, rather than straight and level for 20 min., if you fly out of VNY or BUR.

Just my .02!

R91

California Aviation Services... Riverside.

Owned/Operated by Leo Bell, who taught and may still teach at the Robinson Factory Safety Course.

Excellent School with excellent staff and environment.

I heard a lot of good recommondations about LA Helicopters in Long Beach or Helipro in the North of LA in San Luis Obispo ( but it is a 3-4 hour drive from your location).

Rotor up and good luck

Wow, thanks much guys.

I'm a newbie to this site, but I'm already starting to understand just how tight the heli-community is -- I never thought I would get so many responses so fast.

Has anybody ever heard of a school called Celebrity Helicopters out of Compton?

How important is the reputation of the school? Also, should the possibility of me getting hired as a CFI with the school after I finish have any bearing on my decision to attend a particular school or not? It would seem that you kind of have to bank on your school hiring you because if they don't, you're going to have a hard time finding a school willing to hire a newbie CFI they didn't train, but of course this is just my impression thus far.

This past year I've been putting together my Warrant Officer application for the Army. A couple of weeks ago my fiance and best friends "staged an intervention" in which they told me it was the wrong choice for the person I am. That day I decided they were right and of course that's they day the ARMY called and told me I was accepted, which I then politely refused.

Which led me here, and thank god I found this site because last week I thought Silver State seemed to sound like a good option; ha.

I will definitely check out all the schools everyone here mentioned.

Right now I'm looking at Celebrity, PCH, Twin Air, and Civic.

DynamicallyUnstabe: Living in the Los Angeles area, do you think CIVIC might be a little too far? Although, I think a little extra driving time is insignificant if you're getting good instruction.

DynamicallyUnstable: Living in the Los Angeles area, do you think CIVIC might be a little too far? Although, I think a little extra driving time is insignificant if you're getting good instruction.

Well, it is a bit of a drive, it just depends on how much you mind the drive personally. I used to commute about an hour to school and it wasn't too bad. If you don't mind driving, it's worth it for what you get! :)