Just another newbie posting about a great discovery flight!

This might be a continuing "blog", if you will, as I start training and will possibly chronicle flight training from a "newbie with a day job" perspective.

My first flight ever in a helicopter was this past week...I had never flown in any type at any time! And about 2 minutes into the flight, I had cyclic in hand and was learning how touchy these machines really are...but I had an absolute blast! Doors off in a 300c, perfect day, great visibility and checking out the Wasatch valley (Ogden, UT). Of course I was a bit nervous as anyone would be, but I kept this forum in mind when handling the controls with ease, listening to the instructor, and just keeping my cool. I actually did well in the hover...a little creep forward, a little creep backwards, but not bad at all. I had an outstanding time, and feel very relaxed about the entire thing now.

So that, and a very relaxed and easygoing instructor made my first helicopter ride ever (not even a tour!) a great experience. I felt very at ease and had a lot of fun. Lots of compliments plus a good teaching style from the instructor takes the human factor down a notch. I felt very comfortable and safe in the aircraft, even when flying doors off.

Remember, this was my first ride in a helo of any type, doors off, and me at the controls for >80% of the ride. A very POSITIVE experience that reflects well on High Desert Helicopters.

I have mine booked for this Monday. I hope I have as good a time as you did.

So do I...hope you have fun! I had a busy day at work that day (flt. was at 6pm) so that helped...didn't sit around and think about it much. Pretty much showed up, flew, and then I had to be back at work.

You have to start somewhere, and I was very apprehensive, since I thought that if I didn't enjoy this ride, that I had no future with this. Didn't happen...it was a lot of fun. Of course, I could have kept going for another hour or so, so I guess that if that's my only complaint...

Good luck on that ride, and yes, enjoy it as much as you can!

Good for you Crysty...Congrats!!

I had a great time on my first flight and did relatively well in the simulator (about 8hours) and am now @ 8hours in the Schwz.300C...you seem like you have a great attitude and you will need it for the day that it doesn't go well...which for me was the 2nd or 3rd flight when we started doing ground/hover work. I couldn't make that bird do anything I wanted it to do. I didn't breathe the entire hour. I also remembered all the posts and positivity on this forum and it helped me through a very discouraging day (especially the drive home).

My last 2 hours, however, have been with another instructor (my main instructor was out) and he was a bit more "hands-off"...It is very rewarding to know that my last 2 flights have been under my control. The last one...he even let me take-off from the ramp (with many other aircrafts and buildings around) and hover taxi to our practice area. I even brought the heli under control after a crosswind gust spun me 11o degrees to the left. He didn't touch the controls and le tme stabilize it. I did...thank God!

I guess what I'm trying to say is...be ready for a roller coaster ride (in your mind)...where that one or two bad days...don't overwhelm you. You may not have had that bad day yet (where it feels like you could not control anything). Maybe you won't...but if you do...

Just know that it gets better every flight.

Good for you Crysty...Congrats!!

I had a great time on my first flight and did relatively well in the simulator (about 8hours) and am now @ 8hours in the Schwz.300C...you seem like you have a great attitude and you will need it for the day that it doesn't go well...which for me was the 2nd or 3rd flight when we started doing ground/hover work. I couldn't make that bird do anything I wanted it to do. I didn't breathe the entire hour. I also remembered all the posts and positivity on this forum and it helped me through a very discouraging day (especially the drive home).

My last 2 hours, however, have been with another instructor (my main instructor was out) and he was a bit more "hands-off"...It is very rewarding to know that my last 2 flights have been under my control. The last one...he even let me take-off from the ramp (with many other aircrafts and buildings around) and hover taxi to our practice area. I even brought the heli under control after a crosswind gust spun me 11o degrees to the left. He didn't touch the controls and le tme stabilize it. I did...thank God!

I guess what I'm trying to say is...be ready for a roller coaster ride (in your mind)...where that one or two bad days...don't overwhelm you. You may not have had that bad day yet (where it feels like you could not control anything). Maybe you won't...but if you do...

Just know that it gets better every flight.

thanks Zem..appreciate that.

Having done a great deal of other 'high-risk' training evolutions, I agree completely with that. Not every day will go well, and certainly not with hover or any of the more challenging maneuvers. Maybe after all the hands-on you'll suprise yourself when you get back with your main instructor. It's gotta get better with time, right?

I remember once being in what's called the "SCBA maze" in the fire academy (volunteer a few years back) and I got stuck at one point. I was having a hard time maintaining cool but was able to stabilize my mind and back out of the obstacle. But like you said, it was certainly a hard few hours later that night, trying to reconcile a bad night. It all worked out well in the end, but times like that make you doubt yourself.