Flight Training School

You may want to do a little searching on your own. Do a search here on VR and on the internet for some schools and go visit them. What works for one, doesn't work for others. You need to figure out which aircraft to train in if you have a preference, and how far you want to go and where you want to end up at.

Posting below is a good thread for new people, and it is located at the top of the training forum here. Read through it and it will help you narrow down a bunch of the questions above. Once you have ia few things figured out out and narrowed down, come back and be specific on what your after. Good luck and happy hunting!

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...?showtopic=4360

I want to start my training to be a PHP. I just moved to the Big Apple and wonder if there are any schools in the area you would recommend?

Greetings -

I'm in NYC and am training for my add-on rating (12 hours so far). There are a few choices - I'm training out of Linden, NJ at Pegasus Global (R22) - it's a small operation, my instructor (Marcus) is great and the airport is pretty cool too (great access to NYC - the discovery flight is a tour of Manhattan). There's also Wings Air, LLC out of Westchester County (300c), and at least one school out on Long Island. There may be others, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

Best of luck, and enjoy

John

Hi guys,

thank you for your advice, I just had my discovery flight yesterday with Wings Air (White Plains) in an Schweizer 300 and still can't get the smile of my face !

Wings Air is a bit pricey, $315/hour on the Schweizer and you spend a lot time flying to the training site, since the airport is quite busy.

I am located in Manhattan and look for convenient commute, since I plan to go through to my commercial pilot license as fast as I can.

I am still considering to get my fixed wing license to cut down cost and get more experience.

Thanks

- I'm training out of Linden, NJ at Pegasus Global (R22) - it's a small operation, my instructor (Marcus) is great and the airport is pretty cool too (great access to NYC - the discovery flight is a tour of Manhattan).

I would check this school out if I was in the area. I have spoken with them on the phone and they seemed to be worth checking out.

I am still considering to get my fixed wing license to cut down cost and get more experience.

If you plan on getting a job in the helo industry you will need Helicopter time. Most jobs require a bare minimum of 200 hrs helicopter. It doesn't matter how much fixed wing time you have. Given that it would not cut down on cost if your overall goal is to go directly into the helo industry.

I would check this school out if I was in the area. I have spoken with them on the phone and they seemed to be worth checking out.

If you plan on getting a job in the helo industry you will need Helicopter time. Most jobs require a bare minimum of 200 hrs helicopter. It doesn't matter how much fixed wing time you have. Given that it would not cut down on cost if your overall goal is to go directly into the helo industry.

Thx, I will check them out !!!

I spoken today to a CFII at Helicopter Flight Training Inc. in Long Island and seems like that might be my choice.