What's a good deal on a Schweizer 300B?

gismo

I realize there is a significant variation due to condition and life limits status, but I may have an opportunity to purchase a 300B for $50-55k and I'm wondering if this would be a good price if the aircraft was in good condition with at least 1000-1500 hrs left on the major components. FWIW, I have zilch experience with helicopter ownership but I have owned several airplanes over the last 25 years. I'm also about as "low time" RW wise as you can get with just two hours (1 in each R-22 and Sch-300C). I actually hadn't been thinking about purchasing a helicopter but I am planning to get RW-Helicopter added to my pilot cert this summer or next just for fun and this opportunity just fell into my lap (from a source I trust).

Edited by gismo

50-55k for a hughes 300b is usually a good deal.....depending on time components and overall condition. That having been said, the biggest problem for the older hughes 269A and B models is the cost of new parts when items come due. The parts tend to be main rotor blades that are hardest to come by on the used market... most other items are available for a reasonable cost. With all this having been said the biggest key is what kind of times are remaining on the main blades??? You said approximately 1000-1500 hrs remaining most components... if the main blades have more than 1000 hrs remaining... buy it now!!! Most likely they do not and have older blades with maybe a couple hundred hours remaining and quite possibly have timed out blades with "new records" a common occurance with some of the old hughes stuff. Watch out. PM me if you'd like, I have a number of these aircraft and lots of parts.

Guest pokey

$50 thousand bucks is ALOT of buckaroos, just remember that you are buying ALOT of parts, NOT a helicopter-----get someone who knows these ships inside & out to inspect the parts for you. It wont be cheep, but it will be $$ well spent.

Kent? i seen your ad, (barnstormers, maybe?) i'm in the market for a ship now & again, & of korse ! --ALWAYS parts. Do ya have a list of P/N's & condition?

The only thing I would think about when buying an older Hughes, is that there are a few ADs that need to be taken care of, or inspected on a regular basis. Other than that, I don't think the price is out of hand at all. Especially if the blades have a bunch of time like mentioned above.

Good Luck!

Dave

I'm wondering if this would be a good price if the aircraft was in good condition with at least 1000-1500 hrs left on the major components.

-lance

I dont fly 300's...so excuse my ignorance..but isn't the engine only rated for 1200 hours total? How could you have 1000-1500 hrs left on major components without a brand new engine??

Goldy

There are blades available new and used. The used ones are hard to find. New ones are $15000 per blade so when you start talking about needing to buy new main rotor blades for a helicopter that only cost you 40-60k you quickly realize it would be nice to find some used blades that have maybe a few hundred hours left if you're flying just for fun.

Pokey... I have alot of parts. If you're serious about a project or parts pm me and I can get you some more info... I've been soliciting to sell all my A & B stuff as a package deal.... but it depends on what you want.... If I have lots of what you want I'd be happy to sell an individual piece.

Goldy, the engine is rated for 1500 hours in the early models and later models. The latest 300CB has a longer TBO. I don't believe people are concerned as much about how many hours are remaining on the engine in a helicopter as they are easy to overhaul/find parts for and can be run past TBO if you like. I'm trying to say that it is a concern but many people are more concerned about the time limited components that can be very expensive when they run out or don't pass inspection.

Edited by apiaguy

Goldy, the engine is rated for 1500 hours in the early models and later models. The latest 300CB has a longer TBO. I don't believe people are concerned as much about how many hours are remaining on the engine in a helicopter as they are easy to overhaul/find parts for and can be run past TBO if you like. I'm trying to say that it is a concern but many people are more concerned about the time limited components that can be very expensive when they run out or don't pass inspection.

I will qualify my comments as I am not a 300 guy or an A&P...but more than one has told me after 1000 hours on a 300, your engine is living on borrowed time..basically due to the higher RPM's that you run it at..

I will qualify my comments as I am not a 300 guy or an A&P...but more than one has told me after 1000 hours on a 300, your engine is living on borrowed time..basically due to the higher RPM's that you run it at..

i have one ship (300C) that right now is within about 50 hours of TBO, and is running strong, low oil consumption, nice high compressions.

It's my understanding that these engines will run to TBO (and beyond if allowed) when flown regularly and the CHTs are kept under 380 F regardless of the RPM involved. I don't know how well the engine in a 300 is cooled but there is this big fan...

Thanks for the advice guys. If I do this deal it will be in cooperation with a A&P who I trust. AFaIK the engine will be freshly overhauled in a quality manner and the main rotor blades will only have a few hundred hours on them. I think the real problem for me is that I don't need a helicopter, I just kinda want one and this deal looked almost too good to pass up.

Thanks for the advice guys. If I do this deal it will be in cooperation with a A&P who I trust. AFaIK the engine will be freshly overhauled in a quality manner and the main rotor blades will only have a few hundred hours on them. I think the real problem for me is that I don't need a helicopter, I just kinda want one and this deal looked almost too good to pass up.

Gismo- I feel your pain, buy the bird, give it to me to keep it well flown, and you can come visit it whenever you want !

Real question- Are you going for your commercial or CFI?? If so, you're gonna spend some serious dollars on rentals...and you could lease back this one to a flight school to help pay the bills..

Goldy

Gismo- I feel your pain, buy the bird, give it to me to keep it well flown, and you can come visit it whenever you want !

What a wonderful offer, I'll have to get back to you on that :rolleyes:

Real question- Are you going for your commercial or CFI?? If so, you're gonna spend some serious dollars on rentals...and you could lease back this one to a flight school to help pay the bills..

I might go for a commercial add-on to my airplane certificate but I have no aspirations of flying helicopters for a living. I don't currently have a CFI of any sort but expect that I'll probably do that sometime in the next few years because I like to teach and may have more free time by then.