First Headset

Hello.

Let me apologize first for starting another headset thread. I hope this one is different enough that it warrants it's own thread.

I'll be starting my flight lessons soon (fixed wing private, then rotorcraft pilot through commercial). I'm looking for my first headset. My absolute number one concern is my hearing. I'm very protective of it, and want to preserve my hearing as much as possible. I'm 21 and I'm already developing tinnitus (from the loud music I used to listen to, playing in bands, and working on the flight line) That being said, what is the best out there? I've heard some people claim that the Bose X headsets, and maybe all ANR headsets, actually damage your hearing. Is this true? If so, would the best headset for preserving hearing be those with the best passive noise reduction?

I don't want my first headset to be a cheap one. I plan on flying professionally, so there's no point buying a cheap set now knowing I'll purchase a nicer headset later.

I want the headset to be a helicopter headset. I'll purchase an adapter to use it in fixed-wingers.

I'd really like a headset that has a cell/auxiliary input, but I suppose it's not absolutely necessary if you can do it with add-on adapters.

Like I said, hearing protection is my number once concern. I've been considering the Bose X, LightSPEED 30 3g, and the Telex Stratus 50.

Thoughts?

Brandon

Hello.

Let me apologize first for starting another headset thread. I hope this one is different enough that it warrants it's own thread.

I'll be starting my flight lessons soon (fixed wing private, then rotorcraft pilot through commercial). I'm looking for my first headset. My absolute number one concern is my hearing. I'm very protective of it, and want to preserve my hearing as much as possible. I'm 21 and I'm already developing tinnitus (from the loud music I used to listen to, playing in bands, and working on the flight line) That being said, what is the best out there? I've heard some people claim that the Bose X headsets, and maybe all ANR headsets, actually damage your hearing. Is this true? If so, would the best headset for preserving hearing be those with the best passive noise reduction?

I don't want my first headset to be a cheap one. I plan on flying professionally, so there's no point buying a cheap set now knowing I'll purchase a nicer headset later.

I want the headset to be a helicopter headset. I'll purchase an adapter to use it in fixed-wingers.

I'd really like a headset that has a cell/auxiliary input, but I suppose it's not absolutely necessary if you can do it with add-on adapters.

Like I said, hearing protection is my number once concern. I've been considering the Bose X, LightSPEED 30 3g, and the Telex Stratus 50.

Thoughts?

Brandon

Try the David Clark H10-60. It has interchangeable cords. I use it for both fixed and rotory and it works great. You have to be careful with the after market adapters as some will not work well in some aircraft. Something to do with the impedance. You can buy a cell phone/music input adapter for about $100. You might also want to look into getting a gentex helmet from ebay with some of the upgrades from oragon areo. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like the Bose X has pretty poor passive noise reduction, so I'll probably pass on those. The more I read about the Telex Stratus 50Ds, the more I like 'em. Anyone know if there is a helicopter version of the 50D? If I do have to use a general aviation headset in helicopters, do the 2-to-1 splitter/adapters cause problems with impedance? Or is that just for the aux input adapters?

I've been reading some other posts. I'm interested in some of the in-ear sets, like the Clarity Aloft set. I just recently realized that those have noise reduction. Previously, I thought they were just earpieces like a cell phone headset.

I'll read into those David Clarks some.

We are using Pilot PA17-79 DNC XL cords plug in, battries are re chargables , aprox 30 hours on 1 charge.

Cell phone input . 31dB @ 100Hz, 3 yr warranty, have 4 in the 500 had no problems.

Are light and dont seem to clamp your head in vice.

There are a load of threads on head sets and helmets on most helio sites every one has their own preferance.

Just aquired a Lioghtspeed Mach 1 to try! it is ok only weighs 1 OZ. but am awaiting some custom ear moulds, as the ones supplied (loads of different ones) wont stay in strange ears I supose, it has phone\audio input

I think Gomer Pilot uses another lightweight type

www.pilot-europe.com/products/item.php?id=76

www.talkingheadsets.co.uk/products/hsetcat.php?prodtype=Headset&category=Aviation%20Headsets&s=1

www.lightspeedaviation.com/

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like the Bose X has pretty poor passive noise reduction, so I'll probably pass on those. The more I read about the Telex Stratus 50Ds, the more I like 'em. Anyone know if there is a helicopter version of the 50D? If I do have to use a general aviation headset in helicopters, do the 2-to-1 splitter/adapters cause problems with impedance? Or is that just for the aux input adapters?

I've been reading some other posts. I'm interested in some of the in-ear sets, like the Clarity Aloft set. I just recently realized that those have noise reduction. Previously, I thought they were just earpieces like a cell phone headset.

I'll read into those David Clarks some.

I have the Clarity aloft set for my fixed wing flying. The head mount takes some getting used to and I am no there yet but I imagine they would be great in a helicopter for noise however as I stated in my earlier post you might find some issues with aircraft radios and intercomms. I have yet to find a after market adapter that will work with the crappy radios that come factory installed on Robinson aircraft. You need to watch out for that. It's not the head set that is the problem, it's the radios. Course it is cheaper to replace the headset then the radio. Just FYI.

jack

The Clarity Aloft has mp3/cell phone input, and the NRR is actually better than any of the ANR headsets, depending on the earplugs you use. The ones supplied work well, but they're expensive. I've only used one set of the tips, replacing the foam with standard foam earplugs when they wore out. Using good quality foam plugs on the tips gives a NRR of 30-32, depending on the plugs. The comfort and hearing protection they provide sold me long ago. They work well in a helicopter, using an adapter to convert the two GA plugs to a U174, and I won't use any dome-type headset again, ANR or not. The Quiet Technologies HALO headset is very similar, but cheaper, without the mp3/cellphone input. I used that model yesterday for 3 hours, and it was a pleasure. Normally I have to wear a helmet, and I hate it. Absolutely detest it.

I agree with what is said about the Stratus 50D's. The drawback IMO is the massive size of them. I have the Flightcom Denali's. I tried the Denali's, Bose, David Clark X11's, Stratus 30XT's, and the Stratus 50D's in a pilot shop that played amplified aircraft noise aloud, so I got to test all side by side. The Stratus 50D had the best performance for sure as far a noise cancelling, passive or active. I looked at the Stratus 30XT's as well. I don't know where they came up with the numbers, but I found that the Stratus 30XT's were horrible and I could not believe the difference between them and the 50D's with the numbers that Telex puts out between the two. Because of price and light weight, I got the Denali's with ANR as a compromise and have been happy. I was also disappointed with the David Clark X11's.