A long road for a future pilot

I was 26. Took a flight over the "Ditch". A spotanious decision. Ended up being just the pilot and myself. Always loved Helos but never thought of actually flying them. Pilot was 27 and very informative. A day later I was thinking as drove my 18 wheeler that I think I could do that. Called schools. WOW, at that time I was looking at about $36,000 for school. I began driving over the road at 21, and as much as I loved it I new that I wouldn't do it forever. Trucking kept me traveling, there is a danger to it and it involves dealing with the weather and making decisions. The more I learned about Helo's and the industry its a perfect fit. I knew I didn't want to finance. Had to save the money. But problem is I have so many other hobbies and interest it was hard for me to focus, plus I liked driving. Anyway, time has passed and a year ago I had to make the decision. After 11 years to the day I quit my truck driving job (same company 11yrs) and took a job overseas in Qatar at an Air Base. I'm 33 yrs old. Basically I'm a civilian contractor. In 7 months I paid off $20,000 of debt so no bills now. Now, its just save, save,save. Well, my house. Thinking or renting or selling. If I sold I will come away with 20-30 K profit. My mortgage is $760 a month. Right now I make $250 a day. Working 7 days a week, 12 hrs a day, but may go to 6 days. I want to work 7. Oh, and I live in tent. I'm used to not having much though. I can live very simple and be fine. Anyway, now the saving has officially started for Heli school. I spend less than $50 a month out here. I sit at a desk now and don't really like it but I'm willing to sacrafice to not have payments later on. No wife or kids either so I can do as I please. Moving for school or job is no problem. I thought about staying and extra 3 months and that way I could pay cash for a $15,000 motorhome, I mean I lived in an 18 wheeler for 11 yrs and now a tent. RV would be nice. I never really lived in my house so I won't miss that. So, for instance, long days in the GOM sleeping on oil rigs won't be hard to adapt to. Loved to go to Alaska though. Anyway, this is long enough so thanks for reading. Matt

Hi Matt.

It sounds like you are in a great position to get into flying if you haven't already. It is great not having ties and not needing any too. Are you going for it or not at this stage? The fact you have written it down - are you still looking for inspiration or what?

I had the bug and started it up to Commericial when I was 27. I had to borrow, sell an apartment and volunteer for redundency to get the cash and then cross the Atlantic. (No rich parents or anything like that..) Now I'm 38 and would love to get back into it after living in Japan for 4 years. The money is holding me back at the moment and the fact I'm a Brit and not American hinders the Immigration process for lots of people wanting to learn in the States. Still - where there's a will there's a way..

Good Luck dude. You are young - Do it.

All the Best. :)

Sounds like you have the qualifications, reasons, circumstances, requirements and pre-requisites taken care of...

What's next?...What's missing?...Are you going for it???

Sounds like you have the qualifications, reasons, circumstances, requirements and pre-requisites taken care of...

What's next?...What's missing?...Are you going for it???

Oh I am indeed going for it. I'm over here in Qatar working my Butt off saving money. There is no question that I'm going for it. Now I have not taken the class 2 medical yet but just took a VERY extensive physical to be hired on to KBR. It all came out fine. Right now I don't know wether to sell my house or not. I have a friend who wants to rent it and he's super clean and reliable which will cover my mortgage. If I sold it I'd walk away with $30,000...maybe a little less since the market isn't great. $30,000 is equal to 6 months of work. So, if I stay over here 6 more months longer than planned I can keep my house. If I decide to keep and rent, then in the future I think I would be happy that I did. Its not like I plan on living there for a long, long time. But its an acre so I would plenty of room to put some of my stuff in shed or small garage. Hard to decide. I change my mind everyday. Its just that I want to go to school now but I sure don't want a loan. Sacrifice and patience !! I have taken some lessons and I can hover so at least I know that...

From experience of doing the opposite - I would suggest you keep the property for now. Property is often an investment down the line but come the time when you really need more cash to finalize any training or whatever before the big break - like a flying job - you might just need to sell it then. For the sake of 6 months or so - I'd keep it and fall back on it some other time if at all.

$0.02

Yeah, I just talk to my friend tonight and he is going to rent my house. Thats means I can save that much more money a month($760) and also not have to worry about making a house payment when I finally get to school. Counting the days now, it may take a year...ugghhh

Counting the days now, it may take a year...ugghhh

For some people, it takes a lifetime - and the they still don't start...at least you've made a decision.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I think that is wise decision keeping the house. I know it means longer in Quatar but you can use that time reading the books.

I keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

When I'm not working I'm either reading or woking out. I'm 6 2 and weighed 208lbs but almost down to 200 lbs. My goal is 190 but 185 would be even better. When I'm at work I spend plenty of time reading all the helicopter forums which believe me guys, is playing a huge role in keeping me motivated so I should say thanks to everyone who post here. Another day crossed off :rolleyes:

I was 26. Took a flight over the "Ditch". A spotanious decision. Ended up being just the pilot and myself. Always loved Helos but never thought of actually flying them. Pilot was 27 and very informative. A day later I was thinking as drove my 18 wheeler that I think I could do that. Called schools. WOW, at that time I was looking at about $36,000 for school. I began driving over the road at 21, and as much as I loved it I new that I wouldn't do it forever. Trucking kept me traveling, there is a danger to it and it involves dealing with the weather and making decisions. The more I learned about Helo's and the industry its a perfect fit. I knew I didn't want to finance. Had to save the money. But problem is I have so many other hobbies and interest it was hard for me to focus, plus I liked driving. Anyway, time has passed and a year ago I had to make the decision. After 11 years to the day I quit my truck driving job (same company 11yrs) and took a job overseas in Qatar at an Air Base. I'm 33 yrs old. Basically I'm a civilian contractor. In 7 months I paid off $20,000 of debt so no bills now. Now, its just save, save,save. Well, my house. Thinking or renting or selling. If I sold I will come away with 20-30 K profit. My mortgage is $760 a month. Right now I make $250 a day. Working 7 days a week, 12 hrs a day, but may go to 6 days. I want to work 7. Oh, and I live in tent. I'm used to not having much though. I can live very simple and be fine. Anyway, now the saving has officially started for Heli school. I spend less than $50 a month out here. I sit at a desk now and don't really like it but I'm willing to sacrafice to not have payments later on. No wife or kids either so I can do as I please. Moving for school or job is no problem. I thought about staying and extra 3 months and that way I could pay cash for a $15,000 motorhome, I mean I lived in an 18 wheeler for 11 yrs and now a tent. RV would be nice. I never really lived in my house so I won't miss that. So, for instance, long days in the GOM sleeping on oil rigs won't be hard to adapt to. Loved to go to Alaska though. Anyway, this is long enough so thanks for reading. Matt

Hey Matt,

I'm also working in Qatar with ITT. I'm also saving for training and doing as much research as I can to prepare for the transition. I found that Qatar has an Aviation School that provides training and will call today to see what I can find out about their program. Working the 12 hr shifts doesnt provide much time but I do get one day off and feel as long as I'm moving in the right direction, even 1cm, that's a step well worth taking. Anyway, my number is 437-3210 on the airfield, give me a shout. Ray