DHL Helicopter

I have been seeing a Bell Long Ranger painted yellow with the DHL logo taking off from the DHL ramp at JFK airport. It seems to leave about 8am each morning and seems to be flying toward Manhattan.

I know DHL dosen't operate any helicopters. I was wondering if any one knows who is operating this helicopter and anything else about this operation?

"

DHL Helicopter Marks 25 Years Serving The Financial District

For banks doing business overseas, time is truly money, especially when waiting for millions of dollars in U.S. deposits to make it back to the U.S. from Europe and Asia. From traveler's checks to six-figure business transactions, every extra day or even hour that these checks spend en route to the US Federal Reserve Bank in New York contributes to "float loss"—the unearned interest of money in transit.

For more than two decades, DHL has been committed to closing this gap through its unique Financial District Helicopter Service. The service provides lift from JFK to prime U.S. bank headquarters and Federal Bank locations, making stops in downtown Manhattan and at New Jersey's Teterborough Airport for same-morning delivery. This DHL service has proven vital to the world's leading financial institutions."

I have been seeing a Bell Long Ranger painted yellow with the DHL logo taking off from the DHL ramp at JFK airport. It seems to leave about 8am each morning and seems to be flying toward Manhattan.

I know DHL dosen't operate any helicopters. I was wondering if any one knows who is operating this helicopter and anything else about this operation?

that helicopter is actually operated by Astar Air Cargo, which was originally the old DHL Airways before the germans bought out DHL and they had to split off the airline because of foreign ownership rules.

the pilots that operate the helicopter are on the master seniority list of the airline, and are represented by ALPA. they have full seniority rights, and some have even bid over to the jet operation (B727, DC8, A300).

in case you're wondering, i'm a 21 year veteran of DHL/Astar and currently a B727 Captain.

That same ad is in Business Week. Longranger with the pilot in the EC-120 cockpit. Guess they figure the folks on Wall Street won't know the difference.

:lol:

ads are done by ad agencies. the average consumer could care less what the cockpit looks like.

Whether it's helicopters or anything else, it drives me bananas when movies/ads/tv shows/etc don't pay for 2min worth of professional consultation. Then again, I suppose they also calculate that the professionals it aggravates make up about .0001% of their potential market. It's a sweet ad and well placed. Maybe we should let ourselves feel pride for our industry in the spotlight! (Can you see my actual thought progression here??!) :lol: