Please tell me I am not totally crazy...

I have just taken the leap, and can now see just how far there is to fall. Well maybe I should explain a little...

I am a married 31 year old, father of two, and captain of a Diving Support Vessel working in the GoM. I am also a 19 hour student pilot. I have done exhaustive research picking schools and looking at the industry, and I am positive that flying is what I really want to do for a living. I am lucky in that my wife has a very good job at a major university and totally supports what I am doing, and has even arranged some extra money for the summer so we can afford for me to be unemployed for a while.

I gave notice to my employer today and have two weeks of paychecks left before becoming another poor helicopter flight student. I am surprised at the amount of anxiety that I now have at facing starting over with a new career, even one that I have dreamed about since I was a kid.

I was just wondering if everybody else has gotten that feeling, and how long it took to get over it. I am hoping the next time I pull pitch, I will totally forget I ever did anything else. Let me know what you think...

I was just wondering if everybody else has gotten that feeling, and how long it took to get over it. I am hoping the next time I pull pitch, I will totally forget I ever did anything else. Let me know what you think...

Never really realised what I was going to put my wife and kids through at the time, until I was in it and doing it. BUT BOY WAS IT WORTH IT!!! Sure, had to live on the $25 a year that the instructor job paid - but your wife is working too, so you won't have any worries at all!!! Treat the training like a full time job, study and fly between 9-5 and have the weekends and evenings off with the kids and the wife. That worked real well for the me and the family. Remember - they are going through this too - and if the kids are not happy, the wife won't be happy - and you really, really don't want to go there!!!

Stay in there and enjoy - you'll see soon enough.

FFF :P

About all I can say is good luck. If you really hate the DSV job, then you may be better off moving on. I understand the problems of being away from your family for weeks at a time. That can really wear on a marriage. I would never recommend flying helicopters as a career, and actively kept my children from even thinking about it. That wasn't really difficult, because they saw the family and economic (they're almost the same) drawbacks of it, and wanted no part of flying. But if that's what you really want to do, good luck to you.

It isn't that I hate my job. I love working at sea and being on boats. The problem is being gone 28 days straight with only 14 days at home. I am doing this because I also love flying and because I can make about the same amount of money eventually with much more time at home.

Both my wife and I have talked about it and understand that I will be away from home to fly some as well, but most jobs that I have seen in the Helicopter industry have equal time off or very short rotations (4/3 EMS rotations). 14/14. 7/7, 4/3, even 5/2, all are preferable to 28 and 14 to us.

I can now go back to the boating that I love (sailing) for recreation, and still have a career that will let me look forward to going to work every day (or at least most days :P )

: Besides, if for some reason the flying doesn't work out, there seems to always be a critical shortage of qualified boat Captains in the oil patch.

Edited by klmmarine

It isn't that I hate my job. I love working at sea and being on boats. The problem is being gone 28 days straight with only 14 days at home. I am doing this because I also love flying and because I can make about the same amount of money eventually with much more time at home.

Both my wife and I have talked about it and understand that I will be away from home to fly some as well, but most jobs that I have seen in the Helicopter industry have equal time off or very short rotations (4/3 EMS rotations). 14/14. 7/7, 4/3, even 5/2, all are preferable to 28 and 14 to us.

I can now go back to the boating that I love (sailing) for recreation, and still have a career that will let me look forward to going to work every day (or at least most days :P )

: Besides, if for some reason the flying doesn't work out, there seems to always be a critical shortage of qualified boat Captains in the oil patch.

I haven't started my training yet and am just considering doing it as a career but its really cool that you are able to do that at 31, shows some guts and character. It is a huge plus having a wife that works as well. My dad quit his job to help out at a start up company...the start up company is doing really well now but if my mom didn't have a good job at the time it deff would never have been a possibility.

Gomer why do you not recommend the career to anyone?

I think we're all a little crazy. What's that quote about fixed-wingers being cool and calculating and rotorheads being ready to go at any moment?? The advice to treat it like a job is the best and most prevalent you'll find. It'll keep you on track and your family happy. Wish I had backup like you do! I'm going it alone. Count yourself lucky!! And I don't think that anxiety will go away until I have a job with a paycheck and a steady schedule...a good 1yr+ down the road. I think the anxiety comes from having a little bit of life behind you and recognizing potential consequences. Someone posted the other day, in a similar-themed thread, that your heart will guide you in all the right directions but your brain will be a hindrance the entire way. So, so true.

Edited by heligirl03

I have just taken the leap, and can now see just how far there is to fall.

Wait until you start doing Vortex Ring State training at 3000 AGl....and you end up totally vertical, looking straight down to get out ! Then you realize how far you have to fall !!

Jk..but..why wouldn't you go get your private helo ticket first, do it on the side, a couple months, no loss of income, lots of study at night while you are offshore...then make the leap when you want to go from private to commercial/CFI..

Just a thought.

Goldy

KLM, you're not crazy. Well, yes you are. LOL Have to be a little crazy to even get in one of these things.

I'm doing the same thing. Walking away after 20+ years on the job to go fly. At least I can bring part of my pension with me though.

I've learned this little lesson many times. If it's what you want to do, GO. GO NOW, and don't look back. Think of yourself sitting in a rocking chair at age 85 thinking "What if....." No thanks. That's not somewhere I want to be.

I've seen you post on here a ton so its obvous you've done your research, you've got some flight time already so you know there wont be any stupid things getting in the way(random fear of flying you didnt know you had), and your old enough to know what you want. So really I think from your side of things your doing the right thing. And the fact that your coming from a career like the one your are(lots of time away from home, about the same pay) should help you know your family isnt going to change their mind about being there to support you through this. It really sounds to me like your set. Have fun.....

Jk..but..why wouldn't you go get your private helo ticket first, do it on the side, a couple months, no loss of income, lots of study at night while you are offshore...then make the leap when you want to go from private to commercial/CFI..

Just a thought.

Goldy

I'm thinking like Goldy on this one....However, all situations are relative to the one experiencing them!

I'm also married, 37 yrs. young, with 4 boys and I'm about 20 hours into my PPL. However, I've jumped too many times, financially speaking, and can't afford that kind of jump at this stage in my life. Flight school was a long enough jump for me...so I'm still working in my field (construction management). However, my wife is at home doing the hardest job of all for "No Pay"...(just lookin' for brownie points when she "inadvertently" reads this post) So your situation is quite different. You are blessed to have a supportive wife...(me too)

I agree wtih Goldy in that your income stream during PPL might help out and the time "lost" won't be too long...however...I'm sure you've thought this through.

I wish you the best...

SemperFi !! (assuming your name is a direct representation of you)

Goldy and Zemogman-

That is what I have done up to this point. I have worked and come home to fly, twice a day 1.5 hours each, for two weeks at a time (other than mx and wx cancellations) I am now about three weeks from being able to finish at that rate (including checkride prep) and I want to be able to get started on my inst, comm, cfi, and cfii by mid-July. I have to time it that way so we can afford for me to be away from home (I am going to a 141 school in Seattle).

Thanks to everybody for your comments and support. I have put a lot of thought into it, but that initial shock of putting in my notice and really getting started surprised me. Now that has been replaced by excitment, and I am anxious to get off this boat and get in the air again (sitting here watching the PHI ships fly over doesn't help :P ), one more week!

Are you headed to Classic in Seattle?? Only 141 school in town so maybe that's a rhetorical question. LOL. We might run into eachother. I fly just down the strip at BFI. Classic is up at Pad 1. But we all crisscross in the skies and at the local training areas. :) Have friends who are Classic alum in many ways. Why did you choose Seattle though? Just curious if you had any reason in particular. Welcome to the PacNW (when you get here) and flying in the shadow of Mt. Ranier!

Are you headed to Classic in Seattle?? Only 141 school in town so maybe that's a rhetorical question. LOL. We might run into eachother. I fly just down the strip at BFI. Classic is up at Pad 1. But we all crisscross in the skies and at the local training areas. :) Have friends who are Classic alum in many ways. Why did you choose Seattle though? Just curious if you had any reason in particular. Welcome to the PacNW (when you get here) and flying in the shadow of Mt. Ranier!

I was stationed at Whidbey when I was in the Navy, and stayed on after, working as a bouncer in Anacortes, a sailing instructor in Bellingham, then a tug captain in Ballard. I moved away about three years ago but can't wait to get back. I'll be going to Classic as soon as I can finish up in Nashville and get out there. The reason I chose to go there is so I can save a little on living expenses by moving in with my folks for a few months while training (31 year old living with his parents :P )

Where are the local training areas?

Are you from Seattle originally?

Man, it's so easy to second guess our own decisions, especially the BIG ones, but if you can remember that moment you mentally decided to change your course and what brought you to that point, as it appears you have, then you will have your answer. Do what inspires you to be a better person!

"Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction".

Al Bernstein