I may have made a huge mistake today....

FUSE

and that was to show my son what it feels like to soar with the birds. Ok, so this isn't really helicopter related but it is aviation related. I just had to share I'm so freaking proud right now. Today was my son's first day of flight training in a Cessna 172. He just turned 7 in February. He is super excited about his flight earlier and just wants to get back in the cockpit. It's funny seeing two log books here next to me now, one mine, one his. He logged in .6 hours. And I was really impressed with the instructor, he really learned a lot today.

LINK TO VIDEO HERE - http://www.jeffas.com/images/Jimmy/Jimmy&a...eo/target0.html

Learning about pre-flight...

100_9677.jpg

He's getting a feel for the controls...

100_9684.jpg

Just to show that he was really flying it (everything except for the pedals, can't reach em')

100_9690.jpg

Post-Flight Pic...

100_9693.jpg

And of course I had to show him what I fly...

100_9694.jpg

That's awesome man. My first entry in my logbook was when I was 8, in a 185 on floats. I will NEVER forget that day. Took off from a lake, cruised down the beach and then landed back at the airport. Now, 18 years later I'm in the military flying CH-47D's! Loving it! Anyways, congrats on being able to share the good life!

CHAD

Why can't I see the pics?!?! I want to see too! I wish I'd had my first taste of flight 20yrs ago!

Nevermind, they just didn't want to load the first time. Cool!

Edited by heligirl03

:lol: Thats super cool.

I used to always go flying with my dad from the ages of about 3-15. He cant afford to continue with it now but he had a share in a 172. Its a shame he did give it up because i was really getting into it!

My dad has an extremly extensive log book:

Practically everywhere in the UK

USA - Florida, Texas, Wisconsin and others

Europe - France, Spain, Portugal and more

North Africa

Great story and photos FUSE!

My kids aren't ready for lessons with a CFI yet (my son is 7 and my daughter is 10), but I do like to rent a 172 and take them for rides in the front seat so they can feel the controls and "fly the airplane."

I won't push them into aviation, but if they decide to pursue it, I'll support them.

Here's a picture of my kids (with a friend on the left) getting a brainwashing session in front of my ride...

fedlawman

Edited by palmfish

That is WAAAY cool Fuse! Gotta be a proud pappa!

And I thought it was neat when my son started drawing helicopters instead of racecars! :lol:

Another aviator in the family.... That's great.

My nephew had a severe fear of heights. Would not even go up to the top of the water park slide steps, but he is coming out for a lesson in a few weeks. (17 years old)

The only other pilot in my family is my grandfather who trained in Stearman Biplanes during WW2. His stories and descriptions of flight definitely helped plant the seed in my mind even though I didn't start flying helicopters until I was 33. The concept of being the sole occupant of a machine up above the earth was amazing and still is now that I have actually done it.

and that was to show my son what it feels like to soar with the birds. Ok, so this isn't really helicopter related but it is aviation related. I just had to share I'm so freaking proud right now. Today was my son's first day of flight training in a Cessna 172. He just turned 7 in February. He is super excited about his flight earlier and just wants to get back in the cockpit. It's funny seeing two log books here next to me now, one mine, one his. He logged in .6 hours. And I was really impressed with the instructor, he really learned a lot today.

LINK TO VIDEO HERE - http://www.jeffas.com/images/Jimmy/Jimmy&a...eo/target0.html

Learning about pre-flight...

100_9677.jpg

He's getting a feel for the controls...

100_9684.jpg

Just to show that he was really flying it (everything except for the pedals, can't reach em')

100_9690.jpg

Post-Flight Pic...

100_9693.jpg

... what I fly...

100_9694.jpg

fixed that last photo link for ya...TOO COOL NOT TO.

Very cool post, and it's good to see one person passing on their passion to another.

My boys got a beginner drum set, and when I show them stuff that I used to do on it, it's cool to see them all excited. I can show them one or two things, and my 10 and 8 year old will beat on those drums for the next 3 months...!

Here's a shot of myself after my first flight, about 50 years ago, with my father, in a glider. (I'm the one wearing the beanie)

Too cool. My very first flight ever was in an old glider used by the Army as a trainer back in the canvas and metal days. We tooled around and then landed on a skid plate! Nothing like jumping in with both feet (and NO engines!).

Bristol, I'm actually scared of heights too... really bad. It's actually somewhat humorous... I even freak myself out when I am on top of the CH-47 doin' the preflight, I won't let go, I will grab onto whatever I can. However, climb into the cockpit and I'm fine, I love it.

CHAD