how about flying jobs with a security clearance? Is there a need for that?

I have worked the TS/SCI arena for many years, and mine is current. The SCI part may go away by the time I'm at 1000 hours, but not the TS (since I plan on instructing as much as I can with my "day job".

Has anyone heard of any helo work that involves the clearance in the civilian world?

:ph34r:

I'm not sure if there are any positions for pilots but go to www.clearancejobs.com and www.clearedconnections.com They should be able to help you find a position available if there are any.

Kirk

I know that Blackwater's aviation wing requires TS, but that's all I've seen as far as job ads go. Personally I'd donate body parts to work there.

I knew that was coming.... that's probably true, but the young side of me thinks that the risk may well be worth it. Plus if I recall correctly, they do pay a pretty penny, although they require loads of S-76 time, which I don't have. Heck right now I have half an hour of R22 under my belt. I guess I've got a ways to go.

Actually BW pays pretty low. Contract pilots in the gulf make the same. Here in the NE we make more for contracting on a 76 and I would make more on a fire contract per day flying mediums all without having to get shot at. Alot of new pilots see the BW ad and it looks like lots of fun flying an awesome ac (md530) but I've talked with ex BW pilots and it is really hard work involves landing litterally on hoods of cars to stop traffic flying between buildings while dodging closelines/wires etc all for a measely 500 bucks per day. Lets not forget the constant threat of being killed. Those aint fake bullets and in reality war is scary not fun.

Actually BW pays pretty low. Contract pilots in the gulf make the same. Here in the NE we make more for contracting on a 76 and I would make more on a fire contract per day flying mediums all without having to get shot at. Alot of new pilots see the BW ad and it looks like lots of fun flying an awesome ac (md530) but I've talked with ex BW pilots and it is really hard work involves landing litterally on hoods of cars to stop traffic flying between buildings while dodging closelines/wires etc all for a measely 500 bucks per day. Lets not forget the constant threat of being killed. Those aint fake bullets and in reality war is scary not fun.

had to ask. sometimes, with the right background and enough hours, a really cool opportunity comes up that isn't as dangerous as it appears on the surface. Some TS stuff, even in that region, sounds worse than it is (from experience).

But yes, these days I leave that up to the young guys. You just never know, though. it may come to every "able bodied" individual...

Not that I have any experiance behind the stick but just from what I have seen some of the BW pilots do at a demonstration in the green zone over here, they're not looking for rookies either. I've seen some of their birds in some pretty small places.

Kirk

(Dodging cars sort of thing)