After the Catch

Did anyone else see this show tonight? I have to admit, I'm a BIG Deadliest Catch fan, so of course I tuned in.

The thing that caught my eye (ear), they had a retired Coast Guard pilot on the show telling stories. According to the story, my man, Jimmy Ng took his Sea Hawk out into the ocean, and picked several people up off of a ship in the Bearing Sea in 100 KT WINDS! He was self admitting about being a bit scared, and deservadly so. But DAAAYUUM! 100 Knot winds?

That's TALENT!

NICELY DONE Jimmy!

Edited by Fastlane

...and then there are always the storm generated 70' swells. I mean moving hills. Nothing like OROGRAPHIC LIFTING as a side bonus with the winds while trying to deploy the swimmer. Yikes! Them dudes and dudettes are 'da bombs.

But still, wouldn't you like to see what 280 Kts on GPS corrected groundspeed in a conventional helo looks like?

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

...and then there are always the storm generated 70' swells.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Let's see, 12 second wave intervals, so thats 6 seconds in ground effect, then 6 seconds out of ground effect ???

Being the pilot would be bad enough, I really feel for the swimmer that has to try and jump out of a perfectly good helo.

Let's see, 12 second wave intervals, so thats 6 seconds in ground effect, then 6 seconds out of ground effect ??

Sounds about right to me. But at NIGHT in virtual IMC conditions and the best visual datum has it's own sense of dynamics...

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

That was just a whole scary story, for ALL involved! Pilot, swimmer, medics, RESCUE-EES!

Dayum!

Edited by Fastlane

Yeah, hats off to the guys who do that kind of stuff everyday. It has to be something really special when they see the appreciation on the survivors faces. God bless em!

if you guys are up for this kind of helicopter flying you will definately enjoy this book:

Heart of the Storm: My Adventures as a Helicopter Rescue Pilot and Commander:

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Storm-Adventur...r/dp/0471264369

(provided of course that you like READING BOOKS :o ...spooky thought, hu? ;) )

I second that comment about the book "Heart of the Storm" - it's a good read and you might find it on Ebay. The author was involved in the "Perfect Storm" mission that went awry.

If you haven't already seen "The Guardian" you may enjoy the helicopter parts. Spent some time at Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans after Katrina - CG pilots can't walk on water, but they come pretty damn close. Kevin