Alaska

I want to know who knows what it's like to fly in the great state of Alaska. Also tell me what it's like to fly in Alaska. What did you do there, what are you doing there, how long, just general stuff like that. :rolleyes:

Thanks once again,

Helo08

I've never flown up there, but I have worked on boats in SW and SE Alaska. It is amazing country, remote, beautiful, with crazy weather. I miss it and would love to go back and fly there, or just go back for vacation on my own boat.

Edited by klmmarine

The summer weather in Southeast Alaska is sometimes difficult to fly in. A lot of rain, low clouds... unless it's a good summer. There are some big trees surrounded by muskeg and ocean. There a lot of islands (big and small) in Southeast. Other parts of Alaska can be a lot different. It can get hot in the Iinterior and there are a lot less trees. One of the jokes in Nome (towards the Seward peninsula) is you can find a girl behind every tree. Some of the biggest mountains in North America live here. Near Yakutat (Icy Bay) the terrain rises from sea level to 18,000' in a relatively short distance.

I started flying in Alaska in 1991. Once you start flying in Alaska you will want to come back. It is like an addiction. The living can be hard but most pilots who enjoy the outdoors and like seeing spectacular scenery will love it. It is humbling to walk away from your helicopter into the forest and realize you are not at the top of the food chain. From the helicopter, I've seen bears stalking surveyors, watched whales breach and lunge feed, seen thousands of porpoise in a mass meeting, seen mushrooms the size of semi-truck tires, watched glaciers calves into the ocean... It's like IMAX but a thousand times better.

But it's not for everyone...

CapeSpencer.jpg

On Cape Spencer's Heli-Pad for Radio Maintenance.

CapeSpencer.jpg

On Cape Spencer's Heli-Pad for Radio Maintenance.

That is funny, I have always seen Cape Spencer from the water, and never realized that I was IN the scenery.

I have been all over the world and Alaska ranks right at the top of THE most beautiful. I can't wait to get back.