UH-1 stabilizer bars

I asked a friend who used to be an ANG Huey check airman, and he mumbled something about how they had something to do with gyroscopic precession, but that it had been too long ago since he retired to remember the details.

Can anybody help?

Simply put, at full RPM centrifugal force loads up the counterweights mounted on each end. The horizontal bar then acts much like a gyro and works in concert with fluid filled dampeners to control the rate of, and "smooth out" pitch changes in the rotor system...

IIRC, you can grab the bar during preflight and feel the resistance in the fluid dampeners by pushing up and down on the bar - much like compressing and extending an automobile shock absorber.

Edited by palmfish

Simply put, at full RPM centrifugal force loads up the counterweights mounted on each end. The horizontal bar then acts much like a gyro and works in concert with fluid filled dampeners to control the rate of, and "smooth out" pitch changes in the rotor system...

IIRC, you can grab the bar during preflight and feel the resistance in the fluid dampeners by pushing up and down on the bar - much like compressing and extending an automobile shock absorber.

And the other reason they are a good thing??

How about the gyroscopic effect wants to keep the rotor plane level....so you wouldnt want to do this...but if you were to let go of the cyclic, gyroscopic forces would help level the rotor plane.

One small side benefit is they do increase rotor inertia...but thats not the primary mission.

Same basic idea that you see on the Bell 47.

And the other reason they are a good thing??

How about the gyroscopic effect wants to keep the rotor plane level....so you wouldnt want to do this...but if you were to let go of the cyclic, gyroscopic forces would help level the rotor plane.

One small side benefit is they do increase rotor inertia...but thats not the primary mission.

Same basic idea that you see on the Bell 47.

Yes, I suppose it would tend to level the rotor disc plane too. It's been about 12 years since I've flown a Huey, but I think I remember keeping my hand on the cyclic pretty much all the time during flight :lol:

Yes, I suppose it would tend to level the rotor disc plane too. It's been about 12 years since I've flown a Huey, but I think I remember keeping my hand on the cyclic pretty much all the time during flight :lol:

but..but..my nose was itching !!!!