flying 2nd in command offshore in gom

mattcob

as far as pay is concerned it is obviosly less than than flying as pic, it would have to be, but it is substatially more than i was making as a cfi and more regular, and still 2 on 2 off which i have to say for a pilot like myself is a great deal, i am a new pilot like lots of other people on this site and the sooner i can get a descent job paying off my loans the better!!! the advantages are quite simple to me persoanally, it dosent matter how long it takes to get to the 1000hr target, im getting paid, and by the time i get to 1000hrs ill have 400hrs of turbine time in the gom, i am also very lucky because i have 300hrs of turbine already, which means by the time i reach the 1000 mark i think my future will be very rosy with the way the industry is going at the moment.

as far as flying sic with an experienced pilot is concerned, i can only hope they dont look down on me the way i think its going to be, we as new pilots have to come through the system some how and we all need to learn from the guys with the experience which is exactly how i will look at it, i would rather be sic for the next 400hrs than cfi i can promise you that!!!!

i think this is a great new route for us low timers to take advantage of and will also be a good thing for the large operaters who are struggling to find all the 1000 hr pilots the industry requires

there is light at the end of the tunnell!!!!

blue skies

mattcob

Hey matt:

if you don't mind me asking, does PHI pay their customary $51K starting pay as SIC with those hours?

Let me know what kind of offer (doesn't have to be specific or you can PM me) you got with that.

Congrats!

$40000!!!

im happy with that!! 2 on 2 off

blue skies

mattcob

Flying SIC, 2 on 2 off. Seems like a no brainer to continue instruction a little bit in the 2 off, and get to that 1000 that much faster.

Income gets a boost to help pay off student loans, 1000 just around the corner, and then you get to move into PIC that much faster.

Am I wrong with this thought? Anyone?

mattcob,

Firstly, congratulations on the job!

From what I'm seeing online the GOM operators are still asking for 1000 PIC min. Is that no longer a hard and fast requirement? Is this type of SIC position going to be advertised wih its lower entry requiarements? OR was it the fact that you have the 300 hours of turbine that attracted them?

Thanks,

Tweedles

2 on/2 off in Grand Isle will get very old very quickly. Even if you live in New Orleans, which I'm guessing you don't. Work 2 days, drive home one day, drive back the next, work 2, etc. Gas at $3.35/gal or so, you better move close, but there simply isn't much down there for living space. Good luck.

mattcob,

How did you acquire 300 hours of turbine time? Was it all that bad? You may have learned a little.

bossman

IMG_6018.JPG