Robinson Safety Course

Just looking at signing up for this course...the 35 "regular" slots are booked solid until March '08, but half the courses are "Full (**fly later)". Anybody take this option, and do you think it made a difference one way or another in what you got from the course?

thanks,

--chris

I was there last summer and LOVED it. The fee for the course was cheap enough. The motel most of us stayed at was right across the street and inexpensive. It was terrific information presented by people with impeccable credentials. My classmates were fun to chat with in the downtime. And a helluva cute training coordinator. What's not to love about it?

Except the free donuts for breakfast and free lunch. Monday morning I weighed 160 lbs. By the time I got home I had to do a new W&B I'd gained so much weight.

It's a great class and if you don't get to fly until Thursday afternoon or even Friday...so be it. It'll just be another sunny day to enjoy in southern CA.

Just looking at signing up for this course...the 35 "regular" slots are booked solid until March '08, but half the courses are "Full (**fly later)". Anybody take this option, and do you think it made a difference one way or another in what you got from the course?

thanks,

--chris

I did the fly later option and was still able to fly on Thursday afternoon. Robinson does a wonderful job getting everyone through the flight portion as fast as possible. Pay the extra $100 and fly the R44, it's worth it. Enjoy your safety course. :)

RDW

Oh I forgot to say, pack light. If your pack can fit in under the seat of a R-44 you can get a free flight after your done back to LAX in a 44.

There is a local rumor going round that they may stop the flight training portion of the class except for CFI's....I would go get it while you can, some of the best pilots around. Also, if you tell them you can make it anytime they will put you on the waiting list for any last minute openings..

Goldy

There is a local rumor going round that they may stop the flight training portion of the class except for CFI's....I would go get it while you can, some of the best pilots around. Also, if you tell them you can make it anytime they will put you on the waiting list for any last minute openings..

Goldy

That would be a shame. When I did the flight portion last September, I got to do some things that I had never done before -- auto from an OGE hover and recovery from vortex ring state.

auto from an OGE hover and recovery from vortex ring state.

Are these things that wouldn't normally be covered during the PPL (or thru CFII for that matter)?

RotorWeed recommended doing the course in the R44. Not knowing what they do in the course, are the maneuvers in the 44 applicable to the 22, or are there idiosyncrasies of the 22 that you might miss by training in the 44?

Are these things that wouldn't normally be covered during the PPL (or thru CFII for that matter)?

RotorWeed recommended doing the course in the R44. Not knowing what they do in the course, are the maneuvers in the 44 applicable to the 22, or are there idiosyncrasies of the 22 that you might miss by training in the 44?

Kodoz- I dont want to repeat myself, and I have said it before in posts...they dont teach these maneuvers in PPL they way they teach them at Robinson. Kinda like saying you've driven on the freeway, so now you can go race Indy cars...get my drift? They do things that make you cross your chest...twice.

THe R22 and 44 could not be more different helicopters. Dont take your check ride in one if you have all your time in the other...it would just be a waste. Take the course in the bird you fly the most in ...probably the 22.

PA- It has become a safety issue with so many birds in the pattern/ground. Too many (very) close calls..

Goldy