Helicopter High Inc. - Baltimore, MD

Hi

Can anybody out there give me any information on Helicopter High Inc.. They are in Baltimore, Maryland and fly out of Martin State. There website seems to be down and when I called, no one answered the phone.

I'll be moving to Baltimore full-time within the next few months to join my fiancee. I think it is the perfect time to begin my helicopter career and am looking for something closer to home as I'll be working part time and completing my fixed-wing PPL at Martin State.

The other schools I'm looking at are Advanced Helicopter Concepts and Helicopter Academy......?

I'm South African so I have to go through the TSA Clearance - can anybody tell me how that went and the waiting period? I have been in the US 5 years and have a clear record, in all regards, so i don't anticipate any problems.

Thanks guys (and Girls!)

Pilot Fish

Hi

Can anybody out there give me any information on Helicopter High Inc.. They are in Baltimore, Maryland and fly out of Martin State. There website seems to be down and when I called, no one answered the phone.

I'll be moving to Baltimore full-time within the next few months to join my fiancee. I think it is the perfect time to begin my helicopter career and am looking for something closer to home as I'll be working part time and completing my fixed-wing PPL at Martin State.

The other schools I'm looking at are Advanced Helicopter Concepts and Helicopter Academy......?

I'm South African so I have to go through the TSA Clearance - can anybody tell me how that went and the waiting period? I have been in the US 5 years and have a clear record, in all regards, so i don't anticipate any problems.

Thanks guys (and Girls!)

Pilot Fish

I fly with Advanced Helicopters (working on my CFI). You'll be hard pressed to find a better one in the area. There are a few in Annapolis MD like boat pics, but AHC is probably the best (IMO). A couple of pluses, you can rent their aircraft after you get your license for fun trips (great for dates!), Mike Zangara former Robinson test pilot does their stage checks (You won't find a better teacher for Robinson Aircraft except maybe Tim Tucker), and the staff there is just great all around. The prices are good for helicopter rental (190 an hour wet solo, 225 with instructor). Depending on where in Baltimore you are it's probably an hour drive one way. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk. I had some friends from SA so I might hit you up for some Roybos tea and Biltong.

Permison

P.S. Don't pay anyone but the TSA for that background check. You might find some schools who will ask you to do it through them, if you do, Run, don't walk away. Call the TSA, get the info you need for the endorcement and background check (it's not refered to as a clearance). The web site, if you don't already have it, can be found here https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/

The Alien Flight Student Program (AFSP) conducts background checks for non-U.S. citizens seeking flight training. Prior to obtaining flight training non-U.S. citizens must apply online through the AFSP website and provide their fingerprints, biographical information, security documents including passport copies, and specific information about their desired training events. The AFSP processes candidate training request applications using four different categories distinguished by the type of training requested.

An application fee of $130 for the background check is required. The AFSP also requires flight schools to submit a digital photo taken of the candidate on the day they report to training to verify their identity.

Make sure you work directly with the TSA and not the flight school on this. There are a few schools out there taking advantage of the sucker born every minute theory. Payment is made through the AFSP web site directly to the TSA not through your flight school.

Good luck

Thanks for all that Permison and 930xxx

I feel I'm on top of the TSA Background check and have registered with the AFSP online.

Right now, as I go through my adjustment of immigration status, from work visa to permanent resident, I'm trying to do my home work and figure out my plan of attach. My current visa/status does not allow receive training. Along with that, I'm awaiting funds from SA to part fund my flying career.

I'll be calling AHC in the near future and will be coming around for a visit.

Permison - on another note, I make biltong on occasion so I'll pass some along. Rooibos is always a favorite too...!!!

Thanks again

Pilot Fish

Permison - on another note, I make biltong on occasion so I'll pass some along. Rooibos is always a favorite too...!!!

Can't wait! That's better beef jerky then you can usually get here in the States. When you call AHC ask for Rachael, she is the general manager. Feel free to PM me if you don't get the answers you are looking for. If you let me know when you are heading out for a visit I will try to be there to meet you. If I am flying that day I will take you for a "circut" (we call them patterns here) in the R22.

Permison

Oh yeah, ask for Racheal!! :D :D :D :D

Easy there flyboy! :lol: Rachael is real nice to look at but I would not want to get on her bad side (and I think she is a member here at VR). But seriously if Neal keeps hiring women like Racheal and Lindsey I think he is going to have a "The women of AHC" calender made one of these days. :D Sigh...If only I was 10 years younger.

Easy there flyboy! :lol: Rachael is real nice to look at but I would not want to get on her bad side (and I think she is a member here at VR). But seriously if Neal keeps hiring women like Racheal and Lindsey I think he is going to have a "The women of AHC" calender made one of these days. :D Sigh...If only I was 10 years younger.

LOL, She is a very nice person to talk with.. :)

More to the post though about AHC. I have only flown with them a couple of times since I am a student at Helicopter Academy. I was very impressed with AHC. I flew with Pierre I believe his name was and was very happy with him. Instantly I was learning with him and he gave me a handful of great tips. One thing I was really impressed with them is the condition of the birds. Extremely clean and very well maintained. I've never done a pre-flight and been so clean after I was done. They are a top notch school for sure and have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm happy with my school, but I would have been very happy with them as well. If your looking to do your training quickly year round you may have a better chance for that at AHC anyways because they have multiple birds and instructors.